News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Its alive! ............. Update: Now with video!

Started by Charger1973, May 09, 2008, 10:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

I bought this car a little over a year ago and dropped the car I was working on for this one, since this one was nicer... and its slowly coming along.  Having no garage, almost no money, little time and very little tools, its hard to get anything done.  But somehow I manage.   ;)  Anyway I worked like crazy on this car last year, just wanting to get it to the point where I could drive it to the parts store if I wanted.  I had it almost there last fall, just a few bugs (that I know of) to work out, when my oil pump went out.  That was all I could handle, I was burnt out and just left it til spring. 

So in the last couple days, I got everything installed and its pumping oil now, and the motor is bolted back down.   Everything is hooked back up, I just need to put the valve covers back on and it should be ready to test drive.  I was dealing with a brake problem and had just put a new master cylinder in it when the oil pump went out, so the brakes still need to be tested...  and I have had an ongoing problem with the car overheating (but only when I drive it).  It doesnt get hot in the driveway, only when I take it on the road.  Is it possible that could have been caused by a weak oil pump?  If not maybe I need a new radiator... 

Anyway heres a pic after I drove it up to the house and rinsed it off.  Im going to pick up a sandblaster tomorrow.  :2thumbs:

Charger1973

FLG

Looking good  :2thumbs: I'd kill to find a good price on a PB hood.

I was having cooling problems with my 3rd gen, wound up ordering a new rad from US Radiator. My car was originally a 318 car and no one changed the rad when they did the engine swap...well i got the BB radiator but was not aware the support was different but with a little bit of saws all action i got the rad in there  :2thumbs: Will worry about the support when i get to it.

1969chargerrtse

I love the subject title.  Looks great!!  You are doing a fantastic job.   Believe it or not, there are thermostates that are made for racing.  If you go on the road with them they slow down water flow and overheat the car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargerboy69

If it were me, I would pull the radiator and take it in to a shop and have it checked out and flushed. To me is sounds like it could be a clogged radiator. If you have things floating around in your cooling  system they can get clogged in your radiator core, and  you will need a shop to flush it out.  If it checks out alright then you know it is something else.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TUFCAT

If you lift the radiator out and it feels like it weighs about 80 lbs - - that's your problem!

Also, hidden headlamps look great on your '73!

TruckDriver

Way to go Matt! :cheers: :2thumbs: Get those pics on my site too now ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

mikesbbody

looks awesome matt!  :2thumbs:

Charger1973

Thanks guys!  I am fairly motivated right now, so hopefully I can make some good progress this year too.  I want to get the inside blasted and a few small holes patched and then I can get the interior back in it.  I think I have 99% of the parts to put the interior together thanks to Nacho.  He sent me all the black plastic panels a couple weeks ago.   :cheers:  I already recovered my front seats and I will be doing the back seat soon.  I'll probably do everything I can on my own but a few things (like welding in new quarter panels) will have to go to a shop.  Dont want to screw that up.  I'll paint it myself...  if it looks bad i'll just do it again.   ;)

I don't think i'll spend any money on the current radiator though.  If I still have problems it almost has to be that radiator and i'll just hold off for a new aluminum one.  No reason to fix the old if I plan to buy new anyway! 

Pete I need to get back to your site I havent been around as much over the winter but i'm back at it again.   :2thumbs: 

There will be more pics to come....

CB

Matt, your Charger looks mean!  :yesnod:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Brock Samson

She's looking pretty sweet,.. there, your tale reminds me of my endevor circa 1986, when i was chasing down one problem after another and funds were allways problematic...
  good to see your progress..         :2thumbs:            did you decide on a color or have DFS440 do a photoshop of her finished?..

71ChallengeHer

Matt, Your doing a great job. Just remember what it looked like last year. It's come a long way. And you've done all the work yourself. :2thumbs: :cheers:

Charger1973

:cheers:

Actually he did a photoshop for me last year.  Check it out.  Its my car he just added the color and stripes, also had him add the rear wing since I dont have one yet.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger1973

Check out this bad boy.  It should do the job.   :icon_smile_cool:

Nacho-RT74

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Charger74SE

Nice color choice. It will definitely a head turner.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

Charger1973

Thanks.  I almost went with purple on white but I missed my first Charger too much (a yellow '73).  One of these days I will organize a photo album from start to finish. 

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Charger1973 on May 10, 2008, 09:17:02 PM
Check out this bad boy.  It should do the job.   :icon_smile_cool:

Looks like a pretty good blaster.  What all are you going to blast? 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Charger1973

Starting with the interior so I can fix the floor pans and get the interior back together.  I dont have a garage so I have to do it as I go.  Eventually I will blast the entire exterior and anything else within reason.

mally69

Good job buddy, keep up the good work. Nice color combo as well. :2thumbs:

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Charger1973 on May 11, 2008, 06:32:50 PM
Starting with the interior so I can fix the floor pans and get the interior back together.  I dont have a garage so I have to do it as I go.  Eventually I will blast the entire exterior and anything else within reason.

That blaster should work pretty good for areas like the wheel wells and if you're going to go that far, the engine bay. 
Keep us updated, it's good to know there will be 2 top banana 73's roaming the streets soon.   :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

plum500

Quote from: Charger1973 on May 10, 2008, 07:40:13 PM
:cheers:

Actually he did a photoshop for me last year.  Check it out.  Its my car he just added the color and stripes, also had him add the rear wing since I dont have one yet.

Keep up the good work! Damn - that photoshop is awesome - just awesome. Yellow third gen with those hideaways and the blackouts. Kick a$$.

elanmars

pretty sweet car!!

and once you get that paint job done, damn dude...  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Charger1973

Yeah I kind of have to do one thing at a time and still keep it "whole" so the city will stay off my ass about it.  But eventually I will get there.  I didnt get the valve cover gaskets on this weekend like I planned so I get to do that tomorrow if the weather allows.  Maybe i'll actually get to take it for a drive who knows.  ;)

Charger74

Matt, great job on getting that stuff fixed up.  If you still want to head to that jy, let me know.  I got screwed out of a hh setup last week by the guy's son.  Was pretty mad about it. 

Charger1973

Quote from: Charger74 on May 12, 2008, 09:09:01 AM
Matt, great job on getting that stuff fixed up.  If you still want to head to that jy, let me know.  I screwed out of a hh setup last week by the guy's son.  Was pretty mad about it. 

Yeah man i'll email you about it. 

jaak

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thats Great!!! BTW, that grill/hidden lamps look killer on that 73!!!

Jason

dpm68

evil1

I love the stance of that car, looked good going down the road, but where's the burn out?    :2thumbs:

Charger1973

Charger1973

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

elanmars

Out of curiosity, what year are the hideaways from? 71? 72? they look pretty awesome and I've been considering that for my ride. Is it difficult to put them on a '73-74? do you need a new bumper or do they fit perfectly?

thanks!
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Nacho-RT74

the are 72, because are with more vertical fins on grilles.

just need grilles brackets and motor brackets, beside of course rod, motor etc... all hardware related. Remove your existant grilles brackets and mount the hideaways setup on your existant bumper reinforcement setup.

even fit with 73/74 headlight pedestals IF you are able to get 71/72 hideaways pedestal setup, would it be better
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger1973

Wow I havent seen this thread in a while.  Yep pretty Nacho pretty well summed it up, if you have any other questions or issues let me know i'll try and help out.  I am still clueless on the wiring though, so I cant help you there yet. 

Nacho-RT74

wiring is a piece of cake... need a relay and couple of wires... can it be home made. You can get one of those repro relays being sold by chargerspecialties ( I have noted he is the cheaper vendor on those ) or get a bosch 5 prongs relay and a safety breaker.

here is a diagram just made

Charger1973

Man you are awesome I will save this and when my motor is ready i'll give it a shot.  I cant wait to see them in action. 

Moparbob

Hey 73,,

Didn't you say you could use 72 bumper brackets to move the from bumper back as to get away from the fillers? I am to the point that we are fitting the front bumper.

We have a 72 with hideaways and there is no way the brackets will work without major mods. I'm going to fabricate new brackets tomorrow but I honestly thought this would just fit.

I bought this 72 bumper after I bought the hideaways from you,, remember? 
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 28, 2009, 10:31:35 AM
wiring is a piece of cake... need a relay and couple of wires... can it be home made. You can get one of those repro relays being sold by chargerspecialties ( I have noted he is the cheaper vendor on those ) or get a bosch 5 prongs relay and a safety breaker.

here is a diagram just made

Nacho where can you get the bosh relay? Do you have anumber for any of these?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Nacho-RT74

72 frame rail bumper brackets won't work on a 73. To get closer the bumper and save the gap need to elongate the holes on brackets to rails.

I dissasembled a 72 hideaways setup once and didn't notice anything major to get worried. if you have a complete 72 setup I'M SURE you'll be able to fit on a 73 bumper without problems. AND EVEN IN THAT WAY if some problem, and having 2 complete setups, I'M SURE you can make a mix of both assemblies without open ANY hole around ;)

5 prongs relay... dunno up there but down here they are available EVERYWHERE around... gas stations, parts dealers etc... EVEN ON IRON SHOPS, including the plug. Can't tell the PN but they are kinda an "universal" piece

Charger1973

I think you may be a bit confused, because it sounds like you are trying to mount the 72 bumper to your 73 Charger, which is fine...  but you just cant use the 72 bumper brackets in the front.  The front you have to reuse the 73 brackets but in the rear you will need 72 bumper brackets because they are shorter.  The front brackets have different mounting holes for 71/72 and 73/74 where they mount to the frame so you need to stick with your original brackets there.  if you need to move the bumper back you can elongate the holes on the bracket a little to allow you to slide it back further on the frame.