News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problem with mice!

Started by drifter69, May 10, 2008, 10:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

I am having a problem keeping mice out of my car. They ate holes in the headliner and who knows what else. I tried mothballs and they worked for a little while but the smell sucks. Anyone have any ideas? :shruggy:

Brock Samson

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19347.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28595.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13728.0.html

Doing a serch of "rodents" and "mice" gave me several pages of hits and alot of great threads...
short answer, either a couple dryer sheets like Bounce under the seats or a limited yield nuke...  :2thumbs:

Blown70

Bounce should work but I think mine thought they were little fricken blankets for them....... Hate mine, I see one and I am all over it, I took a shovel after the last one and my girlfriend at the time was doing this  :hah:

71ChallengeHer

I put bars of Irish Spring Soap in the car. Steel Wool in the tailpipes. And some good old mouse poison in the garage.

440charger68

that same s**T happened to me, what you do is you get some steel wool and shove it in all the holes of the car the rats and mice cant stand the stuff. MAke sure you check your electrical, i have some chewed up wires.
My mice problem was so bad that i put a block of poison in my car and came back 4 hours later and it was all gone.
life's a garden, dig it.

drifter69

Thanks guy's, I am going to war with the little f#<kers right now. :2thumbs:

Kevin68N71

There is a really good solution.

Get a bunch of cheap old fashioned mousetraps but use peanut butter on them.

Put them along the walls in your garage.  Underneath your car.  Inspect daily and when you get one, use an old dustpan and broom and sweep them up directly to the garbage, trap and all. Then put them along the OUTSIDE walls of your garage and house.

Spring is usually the mating season also for mice AND gophers.  I have given some gophers some extremely gruesome ends..involving shovels, boxes and duct tape....but I rather not talk about this any more....
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Kevin68N71

I have a much worse problem with cats than I do mice or anything else.

I don't know what it is with people and their cats, letting them wander all over everyone's yard.  I constantly have to pick up cap poop.  1/2 my cars are in car ports (can't wait until I can build the garages) and I will find muddy or greasy pawprints all over my cars.  If I have a cover on, they will bunch up the covers to sleep on, leaving hair everywhere, so I have to clean the covers and then the car.  They spray my wheels.  They have scratched paint.

One more than one occasion my four year old son was horrified to find a dismembered bird near the swingset.  The dirt mounds the gophers dig up are then used as sh!t piles for the cats.

One neighbor had two black cats who had kittens, and kept all the kittens.  8 black cats were roaming the neighborhood.  None of any of these cats have IDs.  I will pull up to my driveway and 1/2 a dozen cats would be in my front yard.

I got so sick of it that I got humane "raccoon traps", put cat food in them, and I have taken about 20 cats out of the neighborhood and to the pound. As heartless as it sounds, I could now care less if they are someone's pet--if they are so missed they can certainly be retrieved at the pound.  I don't care if they are put down either.  I cannot believe how irresponsible people are to let their cats roam and not get them spayed, etc.  I have a goofy cat friend and she says its "natural" to let cats wander and they "need to do it".  She says I should be happy that cats get into my yard as they drive down the population of mice!

I really don't get the alternate reality people live in.  The same people that want a whole bunch of homeowners rules of what you use your garage for are perfectly fine with their stupid cats ruining your yard and cars.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Bob Hanner

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on May 10, 2008, 10:45:03 AM
I put bars of Irish Spring Soap in the car.

I've heard of the Irish Spring trick, but i've also read from some where the mice ate it instead.

The one trick i've heard of that sounds promising is to get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with 6 inches of water or antifreeze, smear lots of peanut butter all around the inside just above the water line, place a small plank ramp off the top to the bottom of the outside of the bucket so they can get up to the top, No lifeguard on duty  :D :D :D

mikesbbody

I put bars of Irish Spring Soap in the car. Steel Wool in the tailpipes. And some good old mouse poison in the garage.
aw jackie! but their so cute!!! im kidding of course kill the little f.....s  :yesnod:

CB

first you got to thoroughly inspect your garage or shop for clefts and holes in the outside walls where they can enter.
Do you store food in the same place where you keep the car? (like fruits or dried beans or whatever) Time to put them in vacuum boxes if so.

So first most important step is: proofing. (preventing the mice to enter the building by filling up the eventual holes and clefts with cement or special mouse silicone) & prevent access to food.
Second step is to put some rodent poison stations outside your place, watch out for kids and pets they don't get access! 1 station with lots of poison isn't enough, mice eat small portions at a time on different locations.
Third step is then to hunt and kill them with poison, mousetraps or glueboards with Nutella paste as bait.

If you have a specific question please ask. I work for a pest control company.

About Mice:
General Biology: (House mice, deer mice and white-footed mice)
Life span is 1-2 years 
Can have as many as 8 litters in one year. Breeding life of females 6-10 litters. 
Litter size is usually 6 young. Young mice can begin breeding at 6-10 weeks of age.

Eyesight is poor; however, very good sense of smell, hearing and touch 
Mice are omnivorous, meaning they will eat various foods such as grains, insects, seeds, fruit, vegetation, etc. 
Active mostly at night, but can be seen during the day 
Live in a hierarchical system with dominant males ruling a territory 
All mature mice tend to show aggression toward strange individuals of either sex 
House mice are gray to brown on back with underside a lighter shade of color on back, sometimes creamy 
Deer mice and white-footed mice have larger eyes and ears than the house mouse. Deer mice and white-footed mice also are light brown/tan on top, with a distinctly white underside 
Deer mice have a distinct bi-colored tail that is white on bottom, and white-footed mice do not 
© 2002-2006 PestControl-Products.com
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

G-man

Mice eating up your charger? Guess everything likes the charger.  :rofl:

pettyfan43

You need my little (20-25 pound) buddy Kane...

When it comes to mice, they don't stand a CHANCE with this big old boy!!!!!!

Finn

build a better garage.  :D plus no cats, no mice, no moisture.

On a side note, I had a pet mouse I liked very much, but when a dead one fell on me when I pulled the headliner out...not so much.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: mikesbbody on May 10, 2008, 04:28:40 PM
aw jackie! but their so cute!!! im kidding of course kill the little f.....s  :yesnod:
LOL, Shelby was made at me for putting poison in her Super Coupe. "Don't kill it . It's so cute " :rofl: :rofl: