News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you take?

Started by 69 rt, May 09, 2008, 09:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 rt

I was at a cruise in last fall and an older gentleman walked up and we started talking about the cars. Out of the blue he asked me if he could buy it from me for his son. I said it was not for sale. I started thinking after that, what would I have asked for it if I was interested in selling it and it is very difficult for me to even come up with a price. I have invested quite alot and the car is very nice

I was wondering if you all have had an experience like this and I thought it might be interesting to see what value you all have placed on your cars if you decided to sell. This might be a good thread for those who have 69 Chargers and want to see the price ranges, finished or not.

41husk

I am one of those guys that believes, every thing has a price, even though it may not be for sale :icon_smile_cool:  It would take an offer of at least 50k for me to consider parting with my 70 Challenger convertible, but that car has alot of sentimental value I have owned it since 1982.  25k would make me do some series thinking for the 68 Charger, and the wanna bee would take at least 20k but none are for sale :shruggy: If any left I would miss them.  I have sold others and miss them as well.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

triple_green

I find most people really have no idea what the second gen chargers are worth. They think they can buy a nice one for $10-15K.

I agree that anything is for sale for the right price. I get people wanting to buy my Charger all the time. They ask how much. I say $32K...because I would part with it for that much. Then half of them offer me $20K. Of course all this does is piss me off.

I still haven't learned to say "it's not for sale".

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

oldcarnut

I usually ask them the--Well how much would you give me for it responce  :whistling:?  Most stop there and won't come up with a figure.  For the ones that stick around I almost always have a recent copy of the old car price guide handy for them to look up the value.  Luckily most all have been tire kickers and no one has offered the real value to tempt me on any of my cars.

1969chargerrtse

I have no problem saying, well I have 40,000.00 in it not counting all my labor and sweat, make an offer. ;D
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 09, 2008, 11:03:56 AM
I have no problem saying, well I have 40,000.00 in it not counting all my labor and sweat, make an offer. ;D

Ok, i will give you 25k fot it.  :D

Blown70

I always have a not bad feelings price on my end ready, meaing more than a reasonable person would pay for the car.... that way I can buy another and still have some $$ left over...... :D

PocketThunder

When an offer for my '69 C500 equals the pay off on my mortgage that sucker is gone!!!!!   :yesnod:  This is only good for the next 15 years though.  :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dodgecharger-fan

I know I'm going to have way more in to mine than it would be worth on the market. Unless I am in dire need of cash, I'll hold out for enough to cover what I've got in to it, and some - even though it will be a ridiculous number.

Certainly, I'll get a "What are you? Nuts!?" response, but I don't care. I'm not being unreasonable. I'm being pragmatic.
(2: relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters : practical as opposed to idealistic)

If they want to argue, then I wouldn't sell to them anyway. I'm sure I'd get called every name in the book, but if they'd listen to my reasoning and understand that what the fair market value is has nothing to do with it, then they'd better understand..... I think.

..and, if anyone ever says, "Deal!" I won't have too much trouble letting it go... maybe.  :P

Chad L. Magee

There are some cars that really have no price and you can not buy them with $$$ even if you try really hard.  Money is not much of a motivator for me to sell my cars, even at a huge profeit over what I have in them.  Money is not everything.  I have had people show up with cash in hand and I told them to go put it back in their bank, the cars will stay put.  If I sell any of my cars, it would be ones that I either no longer need for a particular reason or have upgraded to a rarer one in a set.  Eventually,  the plan is for my collection to go into a museum and stay there permanently with the help of my heirs.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

JimShine

My Charger has no price on it. I could be offered $100K for it and I wouldn't sell it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Definately a tough call.....been offered $$$ plenty of times at shows only once or twice did I think the people were serious when I told them 60k and its yours.  Ususally that # makes people walk....
One time at a show in Woodbridge, NJ a group of foreign guys in suits ( I want to say they were Armenian) made the "is it for sale?" remark....gave them my 60k price, one guy gets on a cell phone & starts speaking a foreign tongue and I perfectly made out "$60,000" through out his conversation....while he's talking he's looking at the car, describing things over the phone.....ends with "my client will call you"  Gave him my cell but never heard from them....if I did it could have went that night.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Musicman

NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE  :cheers:   
I have a few Dodge pickups I'll sell ya though... Ok, I lied, only one of them can actually be bought  :nana:

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 09, 2008, 07:44:57 PM
Definately a tough call.....been offered $$$ plenty of times at shows only once or twice did I think the people were serious when I told them 60k and its yours.  Ususally that # makes people walk....
One time at a show in Woodbridge, NJ a group of foreign guys in suits ( I want to say they were Armenian) made the "is it for sale?" remark....gave them my 60k price, one guy gets on a cell phone & starts speaking a foreign tongue and I perfectly made out "$60,000" through out his conversation....while he's talking he's looking at the car, describing things over the phone.....ends with "my client will call you"  Gave him my cell but never heard from them....if I did it could have went that night.....

For $60k do you throw in the 1969 Charger Registry :scratchchin:

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Manfred318

Usually I'll say not for sale, but on occasion I'll get the "well what would it take for you to sell it"? after I say its not for sale. Most of the time I will throw out a figure around $40k. I know the car is not worth that much but it gets people to shut up and go away. I did have a guy offer to trade me even for his '06 Ram quad cab Hemi. I told him of only the truck wasn't red we would have a deal. :rofl:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

BlueSS454

I had someone ask me this about the Charger this Wednesday night.  I gave the it's not for sale yet response.  I haven't even gotten to enjoy it for one show season yet, but if someone came up and threw enough $$ at me, I'd seriously consider it.  I used to get asked this about my 70 SS 454 all the time.  I just started telling them $100,000 and I'll give you the car and the trailer.  That made them ALL walk away.  I have no intention of ever selling that car so I figured I might as well have some fun with people with their questions.
Tom Rightler

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: 69 rt on May 09, 2008, 09:48:28 AM
I was at a cruise in last fall and an older gentleman walked up and we started talking about the cars. Out of the blue he asked me if he could buy it from me for his son. I said it was not for sale. I started thinking after that, what would I have asked for it if I was interested in selling it and it is very difficult for me to even come up with a price. I have invested quite alot and the car is very nice

I was wondering if you all have had an experience like this and I thought it might be interesting to see what value you all have placed on your cars if you decided to sell. This might be a good thread for those who have 69 Chargers and want to see the price ranges, finished or not.

Do not sell. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on May 09, 2008, 08:48:56 PM

Dave

It can be if you're interested :scope:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike DC

A lot of people just don't get it. 

They act like there's some kind of "eminent domain" or "claimer" principle at work on cars.  Like you OWE someone your car if they make a fair market offer. 

Finn

I don't get that either. Makes me want to  :slap: them.
Whenever I get a low ball offer (so far the record is 500 bucks and free yard care for a year :eyes:) I just tell them its not for sale (if they were polite and had that glimmer of hope in their eye). If they were cocky about it I just laugh at them...and not the chuckle it off kinda laugh, the :smilielol: kind of laugh.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Brock Samson

thinking about your post Chris...
it's interesting that plenty of folks will shell out $60 K for a BMW or Benz or even a Lexus or Porsche in fact thousands do all the time,..
but it's a different deal in that few folks pay all that cash up front, alot of times it's a lease or a car note and two years later their off to the next flavor of the week... plus they want a "New" car, with the warrenty and dealership connection, the "New" car smell and the dealership experiance that boosts one's ego and they wouldn't have so much as a clue about hunting down even the most simple part or information, even a simple armchair search of E-Bay and realizing there are dedicated websites -  let alone a trip to a Pick Your Part is just so outside their universe...
  they might admire the Car (what ever the "collectors car is) but what we enjoy (mostly) here is a "lifestyle". and there really isn't a lot of admirers that can appreciate and actually get into the hobby.
  I think mostly wives shoot down hubbys enthuseasum ASAP... You have to have the passion or it's alot of hot air.
  I know it's kinda' off topic but you got me to thinking about these tire kickers that pretend to be able to swing a deal, i sure have seen my share of Lookie Lous admire and make noises about buying my baby,..
At this point for me it really isn't about the money, cause you can't put a value on the relationship I have with my Skunk...
tT some folks though everything is for sale and they don't have enough blood sweat and tears invested to understand.

sorry for the rant...

69_500

What would it take for me to sell my car? One thing, and one thing only. Being able to sell it, and put the cash I have in hand towards a Daytona. If that was the possibility then I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. I think everyone who knows me would know that. Can't say that I haven't turned down more than double what I have in the car, but I didn't buy it to just flip it and make money. I spent years looking for either a 500 or a daytona that I could afford. When this one came up for sale, I went for it. Had an offer 6 weeks after I bought the car for double what I paid. But at that time doubling my money and the extra I had left me about $10,000 short of what a Daytona was selling for at that time. So no deal. I am not giving this one up unless I can replace it with a Daytona.

Or I have tried trading it for project Daytona's, and even for a pair of project 500's.

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 10, 2008, 04:55:52 AM
Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on May 09, 2008, 08:48:56 PM

Dave

It can be if you're interested :scope:

Just doing some internet tire kicking...plus I can't keep up to the small Registry I have ;)

As for the question I usually throw a large number out there, when they say thats way too much or its not worth that...I say exactly, smile and walk away.
Better yet ask them what car they own and if it is for sale :popcrn:

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

CB

Stenton, I know that you went far to bring back the R/T to its current condition.
Didn't you mention before you might put it on the block?
It would be a nice car to have, nice color   :yesnod:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

kab69440

I've been asking $500,000,000,000. I'm a little short of cash this week and I'll let it go to the first $450,000,000,000.  Don't dawdle, if you have to have this car, PM or e-mail me now.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."