News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever had this happen during a header install?

Started by toupee, May 08, 2008, 09:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toupee

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of installing headers and had something that I've not seen happen.  The instructions said to remove the center bolt from the engine mount to raise the engine up.  I did.  When I started to jack the engine up, the entire car went up!  The mounts just simply refuse to seperate. 

aifilaw

You must be missing a bolt somewhere.

because of failed motor mounts, especially with high HP or Tq motors we used to weld together stock motor mounts with a plate steel to create a solid mount. It was crude, but it worked when there was nothing else out there that wouldn't break after a few runs. Look around for something connecting the frame to the motor, I'm betting your missing something.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

471_Magnum

Support the car on jack stands. Remember, as you attempt to raise the motor, you are unloading the suspension. The body will rise quite a way along with it before it separates, unless it is supported on jacks.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Runner

might want to just give it a little extra help with a pry bar

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

flyinlow

some cars came with torque straps to limit mount streach . If you have one unbolt it.

kamkuda

Quote from: Runner on May 10, 2008, 03:21:46 PM
might want to just give it a little extra help with a pry bar
Agreed, I had to do this as well :2thumbs:  Just be careful where you put the bar so you do not bend anything.

toupee

Thanks for all the replies guys.  I ended up just disconnecting my centerlink and then putting it back on.  Seemed easier to me.

l8rg8r

if your car uses the single long bolt that goes front to rear you have to back the nut way off and then tap bolt out a bit to get the washer past the ear on k frame :Twocents: