News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worth It Fore Me To Get charger

Started by mvpberto, May 08, 2008, 01:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpberto

Ok guys I'm new to this forum and I'm really starting to think if I should get a charger I really want to get a 68-70 dodge charger and put some money into, or I know my brothers friend dad has 73 charger single owner that has only 70k miles on it, and he hasn't really used it in a few years since my brothers friend used it in high school, its garaged with a tarp over it. I'm only 20 atm, and I'm going to community college atm but I will be transfering in a 2-3 semesters, I got 9,000 atm but I would also be looking to get a loan to put more money into the car. I do have a couple of friends that could help me with the car in order to restore it, I'm not looking to restore it completely not show car restoration but able to be a daily driver. But I'm really open to your guys's opinions considering that it seems like your guys do this as a hobby whereas me I'm looking at it more as a way to get a beutiful car without blowing all my money or at least getting myself in high dept before I start University. I'm very interested in getting the charger because it's probably my favorite car but I'm thinking if its worth it for me in my situation to be getting it, because I do go to school and work, I make pretty good money as a waiter so improvements are a definite option, but the thing is I don't really want to spend all the money I make and time in order to have a nice car. Eventhough I would love to get a 68-70 that doesn't need major restoration I don't really have the money to be paying 25-30k to get one. The other options were a Camaro or a 93-98 supra(I've found a guy selling one fore 8,000) but those are the 2 cars that are distant 2nd options. But let me know what you guys think if its worth it for me to get a 68-70 charger depending on the money I would be putting into it, because eventhough I want one it's really an issue that need many opinions on.

dpm68

First off,  you capitalized everything in your header except Charger - what's up with that? That said, you will not be able to get your hands on a running, not restoration-needed 68-70 Charger for cheap. This is a given. The 73 that you know of might be a better choice depending on how much it can be had for, but it would be less expensive than any similar condition 2nd generation option. My advice would be to save your money and get what you want. For the moment, I would recommend the Supra, as they are very fast little ricers and they are of course Toyotas. Tons of mods can be made for little investment, and the parts are readily available and do not cost a fortune. I use my 4Runner for my daily, and drive my classic cars once in a while. My yota, aka Son of Hirohito, gets about 24.5 in the city, and that ain't bad for for a 23-year-old beater that has a penchant for mud bogs and steep inclines.

mvpberto

I actually did take on how I could capitalize on the charger, but reading countless threads it almost seems thats these classic cars are money pit. In terms of what some peoples experiences are, and that some people's ideas of them is that you either love to work on them or it's a car you shouldn't be buying.

Joshua

Quotebut the thing is I don't really want to spend all the money I make and time in order to have a nice car.

My advice...since you're young and in college....is to take your $$$ and INVEST it....plenty of time to build a car later....once more funds are available to you.
No need getting deep in debt building a car.
That's the problem with America....the land of instant gratification...*I want it now* mentallity. And with the value of the dollar contiuing to fall...best to save or invest.
Good things come to those who WAIT. :cheers:

mvpberto

I guess but I'm going to be in college for 5 year architecture program

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: Well,.. off the top from reading your original post your not in a position to do this classic car thing yet.
going to college and working a "basic" job ain't gonna cut it,.. unless of course you have a secret weapon like the parents kicking in $ substancially or friends and/or family allready in the hobby with a shop and material help. Your gonna  need a daily to get you through the next few years or so... and I think a project car simply ain't practical t this stage.
So ask your self some questions like:
Do I have a secure place to keep a car that may be down for repairs several Mos. a year?..
Is a budget under $10 K a year enough to fix up a project car?..
Can I afford two cars their insurance and regestration gas and related costs?..

now if you buy a charger in great condition (a relitive term i know) on the cheap, and it needs very little to use as a "possible" daily driver, and everything goes down well in the other areas i mentioned you might have a shot at a charger through your college years,..
But you'd have to find a major "score" to begin with, meaning a Charger that requires very little at a very cheap price.
   So good luck with that as most folks know what even a low optioned third gen is worth...

welcome aboard mvpberto, lots of good advice, opinions and personal experiance to be found here...
I'm sure we can help if anyone can.

mikepmcs

Welcome to the site.  :cheers:
From your last post , looks like you won't be coming around too much. :icon_smile_big:  Sounds like you talked yourself right out of it.

It depends how you look at it, if you are a MOPAR fan then there is no question. If you are looking for a challenge and like to work on cars(best looking ones on the street MOPARS again) like you stated then once again, no question.

If you are looking to get out of this cheap...no such thing... but it would be cheaper for you to purchase a later style Camaro or a Supra in this case.   If you are looking for turn key, but you stated you were looking to work on it??  Reliability will be a crap shoot with any of these older cars to be honest.  It's what you put into it as you work on it that makes it more durable and probably will give you more pride in the long run.
True, a Charger will cost you more most likely to fix up but there aren't too many on the road.
You will not be able to get a 2nd generation Charger(68-70) on that budget and I would not suggest taking out a loan to further it's reconstruction if you were to buy a roller 68-70 to try to build up. Taking a loan to finance a restoration would be a personal loan so interest would be higher.  You would be better off trying to apply for a Classic Car loan and buy one turn key and deal with the normal wear and fixing of parts as they come.  I have no idea your credit history but personal loan to finance buying parts for a half done car only will stress you out more due to the lack of quick gratification knowing you have to keep spending money to get the car on the road(if that makes sense)

If it were me and I could score that 73 for a good(low) price then I would.  Of course that depends on the shape of the car, is it running...etc...
But the main question to ask is "do i really want a Charger"
If you do, then you have to sacrifice some things for this right of passage(ie:headaches finding parts, constantly tinkering with it, prices of said parts, etc.....)
Ask yourself that and then ask yourself if you are looking for a reliable car to get around town and show off a little once in a while, then I say go get the Supra.  How do you go from Charger to Supra, just a question??  They are not even in the same Hemisphere as far as I'm concerned.  Nothing wrong with a Supra, just trying to figure out if you are looking for a Muscle Car or a modern rocket.  Even that being said, that Toyota will cost some money to repair if it breaks down as well. 
Ok, just throwing some stuff out there that you might want to mull over.
In the meantime go work on the guys dad and see if you can't get that 73 on the cheap! :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mvpberto

I do have a daily driver now its a green 95 honda civic hehe, I do work, I'm a waiter I wait tables 4 out 5 days I work, usually take home between $130-$250 a night+ minimum wage. Usually end up with around $1,500 every 2 weeks. 2 Car garage that we don't use, so....

mvpberto

But yeah that 73 charger is in really good condition it's black on black, lifted in back. It's basically one of those cars thats a survivor, my brothers friend dad really only used it when he was younger and once his family grew they had a van and never really used. Until my brothers friend used it for 2 years when he was in high school, and now they really only used it a few times a year just to make sure it's runing well. I know I could probably get it under $9,000 considering they're probably going to retire in a few years.

Brock Samson

But...

:icon_smile_wink:

mvpberto

Oh well on the thing about how I got the idea of a charger and supra was, that at first I was thinking about getting a charger if I ever got around to saving my money up, but I just thought of it as a distant idea in terms of my financial state a few years ago, but I never thought I could really come close to affording one because all the ones I saw were completely or near fully restored that were like Minimum $30k . And I had seen some supras around since I live in bay area I thought they were had a really nice look in comparison to those incredibly expensive sport cars. But the thing about the supras I couldn't really find anything that was stock that wasn't under $10k at the time, but I recently have found one near LA. But I saw this guy with a charger it was 1970 and I asked him how much he got it for. He told me he had paid something like $6,000 at a police auction and he told me I could possibly get one under $10,000 but it would need restoration. His was actually in really good condition, so I talked to him for a little bit longer and he said if I really wanted I could possibly get one for around $15k-$20k but I would need the work. So I just thought I have $9-10k and I could double that within 5-6 months and I could have the car I wanted, but I didn't really know about the repairs, other parts, etc.... and thats why I actually joined here to gain some knowledge considering it would be better to find a forum since there's more opinions from people that are in constant work with their own cars you know.

1968 Charger B5

Here's my two cents...

I'm only 24 I own a 74 Roadrunner and 68 Charger.  I use to drive a monaco everyday to college and work.  When gas spiked, it was tough at our age to afford gas, restore the muscle cars and bills.  I purchased a 98 Jeep little while ago, I go mudbogging with my bro, and still get decent mileage.  Now I'm going to grad school and its a good 40 min drive, one way!  Restoring the Mopars is extremely expensive, even when your doing all the work yourself.  What makes it easy for me is that my parents are both into it, and built a several bay garage for the family.  Also there are good friends of mine who help with certain aspects of the car...   
All that aside, I would say unless you have a garage to store it, and some serious help, not just some friends who say they will help and then bail, but friends/family who will help you    and   also      you have enough $ to also have a daily driver don't get one.  I took  out a personal loan for 15g's few years back to buy mine, and it put me in the hole for three years to pay it off. 
My Charger was worth working 40-50 hrs a week through college to pay it off.  But it sucked never hanging with the friends on the weekends, I also worked at a restaurant.  A Supra isn't  a bad idea, but have fun finding one that hasn;t been beaten on, or in good condition without spending maybe a little more than you have.  If you want something quick, and I know I'll ge thit for this, the Mustangs, esp the 95style, are cheap and very quick with a huge aftermarket community.  My friend has a Cobra that is very quick and he still is under 10k total with mods and buying the car! 
If you want a Charger that bad, GET ONE!  Just make sure you have storage for it, help restoring it, and a daily driver no matter what it is.

Rick
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

Brock Samson

this is good, you comming here and laying your cards on the table so to speak.
you have a daily allready, a decent steady income, a garage space and a good head on your shoulders, so now all you need is a decent price on a decent car, what ever it is.

:2thumbs:

G-man

If you want a 68-70 Charger, but you spend cheap on the 73 charger, You wont be happy as its not the car you "really" wanted. Supra? Nothing special about them. Quite plain and borring. Everyone has 1. Keep your civic and save the money for the charger you want.

25 000 or so, I believe you should find a driver charger. May have faded paint on it, some ripped interior, but it works turn of the key. You can drive that and never restore it to keep it cheap. Spend 4000 or there abouts for a new motor, 1000 for a new gearbox, and few hundred for all new electrical wires. That way you have a reliable car with a new motor/gearbox for around 30 000.

If your gonna start going into all new paint jobs/chrome bits n pieces, show wheels, good quality suspension, differentials etc, then expect 100 000.

If you just drive an old looking, shabby condition charger thats perfectly reliable due to the new motor etc, why spend more? You got a charger, good enough. Once you finish college and start earning more $ then you can start restoring the car to show quality, least u had it in the meantime!

Go for the 2nd gen charger! :2thumbs:

Charger1973

Quote from: G-man on May 08, 2008, 07:33:03 PM
If you want a 68-70 Charger, but you spend cheap on the 73 charger, You wont be happy as its not the car you "really" wanted. ..................................
Go for the 2nd gen charger! :2thumbs:

Not always the case.  Originally I wanted a 69, but all I could find/afford was a '73.   This was back in 1998.  Now I prefer my 73.  I would still like a 68 or 69 one day too, but the 73 is me. 

1968 Charger B5

Missed a post of yours...you have a daily driver and some garage space.   THEN HELL YES GET ONE!  My 68 was 14.5k four years ago.  It needed little, suspensions, tune-up, ps box...and some other stupid shit.  9k should get you one in decent shape that will need work.  Ill tell ya the 73s can be nice, and with those isolated k members they sure do ride great.  my 74 rr rides way better than my 68.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

mvpberto

Also once I go to college, I'm actually going to be moving down to Cal Poly since I live in bay area, so as far as money for the gas it might not be that big of a deal unless I drive back home every weekend which I don't really see myself doing. But as far as driving the reason why I liked the 68-70 is by far the body its just something that just looks powerful, as far as speed like the mustang you mentioned my friend actually has a 01 mustang gt eventhough I like it, everyone has them here in bay area. Only problem is where I would start first, in your guys's opinions, do I start on the motor or do I start on suspenion/body. Because what I was looking on doing just like my brother did was, open a credit card with maybe 10k limit, with 0% apr on first 12 months deposit in my bank account to buy it from private seller and that 12 months will allow me the time to basically pay it off. By the time I have it runing maybe they'll start having nano paint readily avaiable in US and have your stuff water proof hehe which would be cool.

Skued

Do yourself a favor, and study as hard as you can in college. :yesnod:  Graduate, start your career, pay off your student loans (if you have any),then buy the Charger of your choice.   Mean while hang out here and learn everything you can about Chargers and Mopars.  Think of it as another class.  The more you know the better off your going to be when that time come to buy your Charger.  That's my  :Twocents:.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Joshua

Quote from: mvpberto on May 08, 2008, 10:24:22 PM
Because what I was looking on doing just like my brother did was, open a credit card with maybe 10k limit, with 0% apr on first 12 months deposit in my bank account to buy it from private seller and that 12 months will allow me the time to basically pay it off.

Famous last words of the bankrupt.......credit cards are never an answer.

FLG

Im in college with a charger and its not easy, but if you find a solid charger that you can enjoy i would go for it. Get a charger that you can afford but still drive around if you want to. I take my 73 out on some weeknights and weekends, but i also have a daily driver to get around in. Dont start restoring anything until you have the money to put it back together IMO. I can strip my charger down to metal, pull the engine and tranny, rip out the interior and then all it will do is sit in my garage for a couple of years until i get the money to restore it. So i figure im better of enjoying it until i have ALL the cash in my hand to restore it.

alfanta

Well, I being in college right now (21 years old) pursuing a degree in transportation design, Just some things:

I have a 73 charger, Its in good shape and running.
until I threw a rod. now its in about a million pieces in my garage and basement.
I have very little time to work on it. Being in design school, I am working on my school work 10-16 hrs, and work 10-20 hours a week at a job.
It doesnt leave me much time to work on it. I get only a couple hours a week on the weekends to work.

I agree with some of the other people and say to wait til college is over.
With an architecture degree, you will be just fine financially to buy one, so no point in getting into debt right now.
If a deal comes along that you just cant refuse, then sure pick it up and put it in storage. Based on my experiences right now you wont have much time to work on it. At least wait til you have a year of your university work under your belt and know the workload your going to have.

A good thing to do may be to spend some time picking up some skills with body work, painting, or engine building. That way when you do spend the money on your dream car, the project is at least something that you can undertake easier.

If I had a choice right now I would put my charger in a storage center til I get out of college and have time to work on it.

Charger1973

Dont forget its not only the car that costs.  I have the car, and 99% of the hard to find parts, but supplies and tools are a killer.  I really need a welder before I can go any further on my project. 

mvpberto

Yeah I'm actually having some second thoughts now not because of the costs for it but some things came up in terms of classes because I might be taking some classes over in san franisco aswell which would be a killer on gas especially. So i think I might actually get that supra from that guy, I really appreciate your guys's advice.

mvpberto

I mean I only got class 3 days a week, and my work is actually only like 2-3 miles from my house, just wanted to know what the types of prices I would be spending on gas, I mean on my honda I only put in like $30 and it usually lasts me a few days but then again the motor is really weak, usually go 40-75 on highway depending on traffic. What is your guys's take on the types of mpg that you usually get eventhough the amount of money that I would be spending would definetly outway actually having the charger. Unless there's actually a way to get better gas consumption.

FLG

It all depends on how you drive and the engine in the car. A 318 charger will get pretty good gas mileage with highway gears, probably around 20 or so. I have a 400, with highway gears i get about 10-12 on the highway depending on how i dive..if i jump on her on the street that drops down to around 8ish.