News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk inside quarter texturing; 68 Charger

Started by hemi68charger, May 08, 2008, 06:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Anyone with nice pics of the truck area which shows the textured area of a Charger in '68? I'm assuming '69 and '70 were the same...  Also,, what is the best material out there now to spray on before paint? My '68's getting painted this month and want to get this one before I forget. (duh)....

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

Hi Troy,
I've used 3M's Rocket Shutz before with good results. You need to spray it from a good distance to get the texture, & I had to go thru a few cans of the stuff to get the right thickness. Pretty much 1-1/2 can per side.
You might want to try 3M's undercoating out of a gun. It's a little thicker & has more texture than the rocker stuff.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Shakey

hemi68charger

Thanks Shakey and Bill......

Any more pics of '68 specific? I notice a slight difference in some years.............
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Charger-Bodie

I used sprayable bed liner on several occasions, with very good results.

Just like Bill said you have to play with the air pressure and the distance to get the right look.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JimShine

The line usually rests not too far from the marker hole, so it will be a slightly smaller bare strip than 1969 and 1970. I laid a piece of cardboard against the inside of the quarter to block the area I wanted to spray and blew on a quich coat of undercoating.

hemi68charger

Cool guys... Just as I thought.. No problem then........ Looks relatively easy to do, especially since paint hasn't been applied yet.....

Cheers,
Troy
Troy

69*F5*SE

Are the inner quarters primed or?  :scratchchin:  Are thay new quarters?  :scratchchin:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 09, 2008, 05:12:48 AM
Are the inner quarters primed or?  :scratchchin:  Are thay new quarters?  :scratchchin:

The car was dipped, hence stripping all undercoating...
Troy

69*F5*SE

Wouldn't you like to have the inner quarters primed before applying undercoating?   :scratchchin:

375instroke

Anyone notice the quarters look like they were sprayed before they were welded onto the body?

hemi68charger

Quote from: 375instroke on May 20, 2008, 07:33:31 PM
Anyone notice the quarters look like they were sprayed before they were welded onto the body?

Yeap, that's what I noticed too.........
Troy

JimShine

On the cars I have had with stock quarters, the undercoating ended behind the wheel wells.

hemi68charger

Quote from: JimShine on June 25, 2008, 11:00:21 AM
On the cars I have had with stock quarters, the undercoating ended behind the wheel wells.

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it goes all the way to the front of the quarter by the door jamb...  Think this is why the process was to spray the sound-deadener/undercoating on before it was welded to the body. Once in place, it would much more difficult to spray the material in the area of the front quarter..

Thanks fo the reply...
Troy
Troy

tan top

:yesnod:   goes all the way to the back  side of the door jam
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: tan top on June 25, 2008, 03:25:04 PM
:yesnod:   goes all the way to the back  side of the door jam

:iagree: all of them that ive seen go way to the front.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

The70RT

Restorations by Rick Kreuziger has the correct thick stuff. Just sprayed some. You can paint over it also. Kinda pricey...about 70 bucks a gallon. Two coats and it looks good  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

375instroke

Quote from: The70RT on June 25, 2008, 06:31:06 PM
Kinda pricey...about 70 bucks a gallon.:2thumbs:
If that's the special Charger only stuff, it's cheap.