News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Restoration IN$ANITY - has anyone ever felt this way?? Is it worth it?

Started by SanDiego70RTSE, May 07, 2008, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanDiego70RTSE

I'm almost finished with the restoration of my 70 Charger R/T SE. I bought it in 2003 and have been putting money into it ever. I haven't done any of the actual work on the car, but I have located and purchased all of the part necessary to restore it and put it back together from places such as YearOne, PGClassic, Paddock, Ebay, DodgeCharger.com Forum, etc. The way I feel right now is - I can't wait until this project is over because I don't want to spend anymore money on it. It will be a relief to know the car is done and I won't have to buy more new reproduction parts that are very expensive such as pillar post moldings, dash plastic, interiors stuff, etc.

Have you guys experienced this feeling? Does it finallly end when the car is finished? I feel like I'm insane for spending so much money on an asset that I'll probably only be able to recoup 50-75% of my costs if I sell it. That's just a guess.

--Mat

dodgecharger-fan

Don't get me started......      :icon_smile_big:

I'm just keeping the thought of the first drive in my head and it makes all the pain in the wallet go away.

Drache

This is where the Aspen I just bought comes in handy! A powerful little 360 gets the tires going like all hell is breaking loose and it just lets my soul free! What you need is a ride in someone's Charger, Coronet, Superbee, Aspen, or whatever to get your soul realigned!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

F6Bee

Been into musclecars 20 plus years and only within the last 5-8 years everyone has been worrying about what they have into them, myself included at times.  It is a hobby, right?  I play golf, take trips with the wife and never worry about what I spend.  Mopars should be no different.  If you have the money and enjoy it, don't worry about what you have into them, just my 2 cents for the day.

Rick. :cheers:

Khyron

after this motor break... I am fealing it... I've said several times today "Screw it, i'll sell it and be done"

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69*F5*SE

Yes, I feel the insanity. at least until I get it to a certain point.  After that I think I be at a better state of mind.

jaak

when I first started on my car I kept receipts, and kept up with what I spent, after I while I tossed everything and quit keeping up with it, that way I don't ever think about it.

Jason

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: SanDiego70RTSE on May 07, 2008, 05:41:22 PM
I'm almost finished with the restoration of my 70 Charger R/T SE. I bought it in 2003 and have been putting money into it ever. I haven't done any of the actual work on the car, but I have located and purchased all of the part necessary to restore it and put it back together from places such as YearOne, PGClassic, Paddock, Ebay, DodgeCharger.com Forum, etc. The way I feel right now is - I can't wait until this project is over because I don't want to spend anymore money on it. It will be a relief to know the car is done and I won't have to buy more new reproduction parts that are very expensive such as pillar post moldings, dash plastic, interiors stuff, etc.

Have you guys experienced this feeling? Does it finallly end when the car is finished? I feel like I'm insane for spending so much money on an asset that I'll probably only be able to recoup 50-75% of my costs if I sell it. That's just a guess.

--Mat

I feel exactly the same way except I bought mine in 2001, and it's not even an R/T! :brickwall:

Ghoste

It'll never be done so it's just like F6Bee says, relax, it's a hobby.  It'll hurt less if you don't think about it and just enjoy the satisfaction of ownership.

Charger_Fan

Mat, since your car is nearing completion, do you have any pics you could share with us? I don't think I've ever seen pics of it. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

onebadmopar

PSSST  did anyone tell him there never done ? lol i dont care what it costs me cant take none of it when im gone anyway rather sink the money into something i love  and  know im gonna enjoy ... but thats just my thinkingi guess

Dodge Don

Mat,

Been there a few times. I just keep thinking about getting it done now that I am so close to completion.

Seems like forever since I recall you buying those NOS full quarters. I imagine your car will be a top notch resto/example of a 70 Charger R/T  :yesnod:

Us 70 guys would love to see your pictures  :2thumbs:

Back N Black

Quote from: SanDiego70RTSE on May 07, 2008, 05:41:22 PM

--Mat

:yesnod: and i never,ever sat my ass in a Charger.

Mefirst

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: F6Bee on May 07, 2008, 06:16:45 PM
Been into musclecars 20 plus years and only within the last 5-8 years everyone has been worrying about what they have into them, myself included at times.  It is a hobby, right?  I play golf, take trips with the wife and never worry about what I spend.  Mopars should be no different.  If you have the money and enjoy it, don't worry about what you have into them, just my 2 cents for the day.

Rick. :cheers:
Lots of great responses here.    You have'nt talked about what options or what the value is and what you have in it?  Think about people that have boats or horse's.  They spend 10's of thousands on land, stables, food, trucks, trailers etc.... and in the long end the horse dies.  It's a hobby, if you really love the car enjoy it.  A 70 RT/SE is an awseome car to restore, but do draw lines.   keep it in your budget if you can.  Like stated before.  There was a time people just fixed em up and had fun, not worring about it as an investment.  :shruggy: 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BrianShaughnessy

It's never done.   It's not supposed to be.   You do it for the love of your hobby.

If you're looking at it from a profit / loss standpoint then your heart isn't in the right place IMHO.  :Twocents:

Want to give up?  No problem... there's all kinds of folks (some on this site) waiting to pick up your scraps for pennies on the dollar.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chargerrt

I haven't even started the restoration of my car, but in just doing research on the things I want to do to it and seeing the prices is already hurting me.  Some things might be a little over the top, but in the end I think it will be everything I've ever wanted in a car (and a Charger for that matter).  I believe that everybody's project should be that way.  As long as everything is done RIGHT the first time, the end result will be spectacular and you won't ever want to take your hands, eyes, and foot off of it. 

hemi-hampton

Depends, Do you have a $100,000 trailer queen you'll never get to drive or $25,000 daily driver :scratchchin: LEON.

terrible one

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 07, 2008, 11:19:39 PM
Depends, Do you have a $100,000 trailer queen you'll never get to drive or $25,000 daily driver :scratchchin: LEON.

How about an $8,000 daily driver?  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Unfortunately it's just the nature of the beast. 

As the others have said, this hobby isn't for making money.  The only people who really do are a small percentage of Barrett-Jackson guys that deal in big-$$$ matching-numbers cars (which they never actually drive anyway). 

There aren't many guys who can make a profit off restoring these cars even doing THEIR OWN labor, let alone paying shops to restore stuff.  It's just something that we've grown to live with.   

2much2learn

dont sweat it guy, im just a noobie but as long as your heart is in the right place the money wont be the first thing that pops into your head when you think about your charger, i know i dont. im still in school AND working over 40 hours a week because my baby (CHARGER) stays on my mind, for instance im going to have to work everyday after school and pull double shifts on weekends for the next 3 weeks just so i can get my hands on a 440 for my 74 charger (that doesn't even run) so shure it requires sacrifice but if your doing it for the right reasons in the end it will be SOOOOOO worth it X10, just think back to why you bought the car in the first place (if you thought TO MAKE SOME MONEY you better sell evrything right now and cut your losses) if you bought you beauty (70 is a hell of a year) for the same reason the rest of the people ln this site bought their beauties then that should help you make sense of what others cant understand.
I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

myk

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 07, 2008, 09:22:42 PM
Think about people that have boats or horse's.  They spend 10's of thousands on land, stables, food, trucks, trailers etc.... and in the long end the horse dies. 

I don't know why, but I think that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time...

bill440rt

Let me understand this correctly...  You haven't done ANY work on this car yourself? Nothing?? So you handed someone your car, some parts, & an open checkbook? No wonder it's costing you so much!!

Granted, I know some people don't have the means, space, time, capabilities, etc. And, those are the projects that end up costing the most. It goes hand in hand. And, it never stops. There's constant upkeep, cleaning, etc. It's like having another house.

The whole joy I get from this hobby, besides DRIVING the cars, is working on them. Taking a car that looks like it was dug up out of a hole & turning it into something beautiful gives me GREAT satisfaction. There's no way I could afford to pay someone to do the entire job.

Best of luck with your car, I hope it turns out exactly the way you want. An RT/SE?? Definitely worth the cost of a resto!!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce