News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger vs Torino

Started by JoeyGowdy, May 05, 2008, 06:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would win?

1969 Dodge Charger GENERAL LEE
34 (91.9%)
1974 Ford Torino STARSKY & HUTCH
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

JoeyGowdy

Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

G-man

Hey

Nice

seen it few weeks ago. I think the lady does not know what she is talking about. 2 and a quarter tons heavy charger... (2.25 tons) is equivalent to 4900 lbs.

4900 lbs, did she have concrete in the back?

-.-

Kevin68N71

Well, like any comparison test like this, there are so many considerations.

First, she says that the Torino is a 5.8 litre.  That would be powered by the smogged 351w, and if memory serves me.  You could also get a 460 V8, which might have been a better comparison.

Second, there was no comparison of gear ratios.  If the Torino was changed to a really high ratio, it would be hard to maintain a higher speed, etc.

Third, she complained about the brakes in the Charger...well the Charger was likely drum and the Torino likely had disks up front.

A bit like apples and oranges to me, but nice that it was at least tried!
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: G-man on May 05, 2008, 07:44:18 AM
Hey

Nice

seen it few weeks ago. I think the lady does not know what she is talking about. 2 and a quarter tons heavy charger... (2.25 tons) is equivalent to 4900 lbs.

4900 lbs, did she have concrete in the back?

-.-
I was wondering about that?  Great video otherwise.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Dave22443

Maybe they should have raced it against Mr. Angry   :smilielol:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

justin1987

I own both a 1976 Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition Gran Torino and a 1969 Charger.

If you are talking about stock cars with no modifications the Torino is better on handling and braking. The Charger is better at straight line acceleration and has more power.

Each car has its pros and cons.

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on May 05, 2008, 09:22:58 AM
First, she says that the Torino is a 5.8 litre.  That would be powered by the smogged 351w, and if memory serves me.  You could also get a 460 V8, which might have been a better comparison.

The 351 Windsor is a great engine. That is what I have in mine. You can get a lot of torque and horsepower out of them with the right combination. The 351W was a good all around engine.