News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

burning question

Started by 2much2learn, May 04, 2008, 05:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2much2learn

yeah so i got this 440 that im fixn'a swap out for my 318, but the question is what to do with the 318? :scratchchin:
I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

Troy

Doorstop? Boat anchor? Coffee table? It's worth some money as scrap...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

suntech

Very nice for marine applications...........not nessesarly in a boat :D :D
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Mopar440+6

Does it run? Could it run? Then give it to one of the guys on here that just wants to get their car running and doesn't care about having a race motor. Or save it for a year till the gas prices hit ridiculously high amounts and put it back in...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Fitz73Chrgr

Put it on craigslist for 25 bucks, someone will come get it.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

C500

If its the original numbers engine, I would keep it in storage.  :Twocents:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

2Gunz

put it in your lawn tractor.

Mike DC

If the storage space isn't a problem then I would keep it.  Bag it up and set it aside somewhere. 

Gas prices might make you reconsider that thing eventually.  Especially for another car project down the line. 

Ghoste

Quote from: Kiwi68 on May 04, 2008, 05:59:16 PM

Do numbers matching 318's really make any difference though?  What I mean is, would the serious collector who is willing to pay a serious premium for a numbers matching drivetrain be looking at 318 cars?

69_500

Depends on what options the 318 car has on it. I actually didn't do too bad selling the 318 2 bbl Sunroof Charger I had. Partially due to being numbers matching car.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Mopar440+6 on May 04, 2008, 05:54:38 PM
Does it run? Could it run? Then give it to one of the guys on here that just wants to get their car running and doesn't care about having a race motor. Or save it for a year till the gas prices hit ridiculously high amounts and put it back in...

I agree. Maybe someone has an a-body they're looking for a motor to drop in.

BBD

greatwn73

Sold mine to a guy who upgraded his 6cyl. Dakota.

1969chargerrtse

In the old days they ran washing machines with gas motors?  Would really help the wife out a lot.  You could even convert it to natural gas if it's inside.  :shruggy:   Hey beats the coffe table idea. :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Death1970Proof

Give it to a mopar guy needing help or whom dosent have the $$ to rebuild his engine. 318's are too good to throw away  :cheers: Laugh now but there will be a time when even 318's will be a lot harder to get a hold of. 360's and 400's are not as easy to find as they once were but they are still cheap. I'll take all the free 318's I can get. You can always save it for later get an itch and build a 390 stroker and tell em it's a 318  :icon_smile_big:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

C500

Quote from: Ghoste on May 04, 2008, 07:17:08 PM

Do numbers matching 318's really make any difference though?  What I mean is, would the serious collector who is willing to pay a serious premium for a numbers matching drivetrain be looking at 318 cars?

To some people they do. I'm not a serious collector looking to pay a premium, but if I was buying a 440 Charger that still had its original 318 available, it would sure sweeten the deal.

318 cars can be good purchases. They are often more likely to not have been abused like a big block, especially 318's in pretty original shape. I bought one last year that was owned by an old lady from 68-91, then one owner since. Still had the original 318 and was in bloody good shape, engine and body.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on May 04, 2008, 07:17:08 PM

Short answer, no. A 318 car with a 440 is worth more than a 318 car with a 318. :Twocents:

six-tee-nine

Keep the 318

Buy a cheap 6 banger dart or valiant, put the 318 in there, add a couple of turbo's and get going.... :P
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dave22443

My sons car has a 318 in it.  I'm finishing up a new 440 build for my car and had planned to pass my 383 down to him for his car.  However, with gas prices flirting with $4.00 a gallon with no end in sight, the 318 has some serious job security going for it.  We're keeping our 318!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln