News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock 440 or 383 with performance intake, heads, headers?

Started by RoscoePColtrain, May 02, 2008, 10:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

Hi everyone,

Not really knowing that much, I thought I'd ask some questions:

If you had the choice, which would you prefer: a stock 440 or 383 with performance intake, heads, headers? and why?

I read in one of the threads that a 383 is "stronger" than a 440.  What does this mean? (was the block designed better?)

Will a 340 fit into a 69 Charger?  If so, why is it I only see 318's, 383's, 440's and 426's in em?

What would a stock 383 with todays internal parts, mild carb, and performance intake, heads and headers be capable of(assuming 3.23 rear)?

Thanks

Ghoste

A 340 will easily fit in a Charger, it was only available in the Charger as a factory option for two years (72 and 73).  With it being as much work to swap a big block into a heavy car as a smallblock, that is the main resaon you don't see many 340's underhood.
As for a stock block with the mods you mention, I choose the 440 all the way.  It's almost the perfect performance engine and as for the 383 having a stronger block, I think that is just some urban myth.  The 440 block is just as strong.

mikesbbody

Mike DC

The 383/400 might be just a tad bit stronger.  But how often do you break a block in a street cruiser?  That issue is mostly relevant for all-out race motors.

The 440 makes more total power and definitely more torque than a 383 built the same way.  Bigger is still better. 

The 383 is maybe a tiny bit "better" in the sense that it's 57 inches smaller than a 440 but the power difference between the two motors doesn't seem as much. 

The 383 is a hell of a good real-world motor.  The 383 cubic inches in the Mopar BB motor feels a lot stronger than a typical Ford or Chevy motor of about that same size.  You see a lot of mild smallblock Chevy motors that are built with 383 cubic inches, but you sure don't see those Chevy motors making 420+ pounds of torque at 3000 rpm like the (stock!) Mopar 383 motor does.