News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Type of paint to use on a new 69 Charger gas tank?

Started by ChargerTom, May 03, 2008, 11:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerTom

I need to know what type of paint should be used to protect a new 69 Charger gas tank.  Also what paint should be usded for the tail pane?

resq302

Tail panel was black organisol, a textured semi flat black paint.  As for the gas tanks, they are supposed to be natural zinc.  If you have a new one, all you need to do is to polish it occasionally and do not paint it.  The tank tone paint that eastwood sells is no where close to what new zinc plating is.  What I do is polish mine and if it starts to tarnish, I just spray a little bit of Boeshield (can be picked up at Sears) on a rag and then lightly wipe over the tank.  Basically, Boeshield is a penetrant which leaves a waxy type residue and protects the part.  But that is just my  :Twocents:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

Back N Black

I sprayed the top of mine with truck bed liner and then painted the top half silver. The bottom i just used clear coat.

First pic top.