News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"HEMI TIME" - NEW Member

Started by HemiTime, October 13, 2005, 10:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemiTime

Being new to the DodgeCharger site, I thought I would share some information about my 1966 Dodge Charger.  I would like to put some pictures on this site but have not yet determined how to do that.  Anyone want to tell he how easy it is.....would appreciate some directions.

For years I have been a Mopar fan.  I found my 66 Charger in Albuquerque and decided to try and make it into a show and drag car.  I have never seen a 66 Charger on the drag strip, so I wanted to do something no one else had done.  I now know why no one races these lead sleds...4,020 lbs with me in her.  Never the less it is different and it will put some of those Chev and Fords on the trailer was my thought.

In October 1999, "Mopar Muscle Magazine" had an article featuring "The Return of the Lawman" - Al Eckstrnad.  From all the muscle cars of that time, the Lawman toured Europe with a '66 Charger Hemi.  He aroused the interest of some 250,000 soldiers in Europe that year.  It has been years since a drag strip saw a '66 Charger and when my Dad agreed to sale me his charger, I hoped that my Charger would help continue to inspire the blending of old and new by others that love cars that make up the grass roots for hot rods and would open some eyes like the Lawman did.

The "Hemi Time" project began with a Crate 528... 610hp...410 Dana.  Neal Chance rebuilt my 727.   I kept the interior all-original restoring it with the four bucket seats and front/rear consoles, not an easy chore with the full roll cage.  The paint is "plum crazy".  The underside was blasted and repainted, front end rebuilt, hemi K-member as original engine was a 383, disc- brakes, super comp springs, transmission cooler, 5500 stall converter, Mark Williams yoke, headers, Divinci 1150 Special carb, aluminum radiator, Hurst shifter, frame connectors just to name a few things that were changed or added.

The crate engine made 49 passes (it is #49 of the new Hemi's made) down the track before it sucked down a intake and exhaust values and tore up the piston and head.  Advanced Engine & Machine in Salina rebuilt the Hemi to 549 ci. 900 hp.  And I was out to prove a 4000 lb Charger could go into the low 9's.

"Hemi Time" is streetable; it has a veteran tag and insurance.  Actual mileage is 53,000.  I did not tub the car and I'm able to run a 10.5 slick with a 410 gear.  Yes, it is still a leaf spring car.  I do give her a 200 shot of NOS when on the strip and have a best pass of 9.41 @ 148 mph.

As a Viet Nam veteran, "Hemi Time" carries the colors of the 1st Cav "ColdSteel" - Gary Owen along with the POW decals...."You are not forgotten".

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce "Hemi Time".   If you would like to see some pictures, please help me with how to post those on this site.

Ed Roberts
"Hemi Time"

Blown70

WELCOME,

I thought "the lawman" was the Mustangs that were done up.

Also,  As you post something on the bottom you will see a BROWSE button hit that and you will need to know where the picture is on your computer...  Click open and it will paste to that area when done click to add another or add the post. By hitting post....

BLOWN70

Shawn Jennings

carpetperfect.com

RD

excellent story, and welcome again.  its nice to see another kansas member, and a former member of the 1st Cav as I am one also.  Once Cav. always Cav.  Garry Owen!  I love your car, I seen in MM magazine about 6 months back and was hoping to see it at Mopar Super Weekend, but I was too busy at the swap meet part of the show.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shawn Jennings

carpetperfect.com

HemiTime

Blown 70....Thanks for the directions but I must have "half-timers".  I clicked on Browse found my picture, clicked on open but it did not paste even when I clicked on post....so I went to review and it said that I would need to reattach.  Can you help?

Hemi Time

Blown70

Give me a few minutes.....

did you double click or single click the picture?  once you select it you should hit open,

will have a file name that should fill in when you select the picture from your documents...

Let me see here.

Blown70

here

Blown70

Quote from: HemiTime on October 13, 2005, 11:10:18 PM
Blown 70....Thanks for the directions but I must have "half-timers".   I clicked on Browse found my picture, clicked on open but it did not paste even when I clicked on post....so I went to review and it said that I would need to reattach.   Can you help?

Hemi Time

I think you need to select the picture that you want by clicking on it.... Then open this will then add the attachment when you hit post... I don't think you can preview as it may strip the picture.

I posted one so people could see.

NOW i want to see the motor.... ;D

Troy

Some people have told me that if someone replies while you are trying to add a picture that it won't attach. Your pictures could also be too large (there's a 200kb limit) but that should give you a different error message.

Welcome again!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Todd Wilson

Ghoste

Great story, great pics and welcome to the site.  Nice to see 1st gens doing it up in the 1/4.  I went to see Eckstrands car when it was on display at the Chrysler Museum a couple of years ago and it is inspiring.
Are you another member of this "Kansas Mafia"?

Charger4404spd

Welcome to the site Hemi. Beautiful Charger and the hemi makes my mouth water! :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Beautiful car!

Welcome to the site!    :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mefirst

:2thumbs: and welcome to the forum

:cheers:

/Tom

BrianShaughnessy

Wholey crap that's beautiful!!!   :icon_smile_tongue:

Welcome to the site!
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

694spdRT

Welcome to the site! Great looking 1st gen...the Hemi ain't bad either.  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

nh_mopar_fan

RD

i find it amazing that you can launch that car as well as you do just on leaf springs and no torque boxes.  simply outstanding, gotta love it.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

THE COLONEL

That is one of the best 66 Charger's out there.  I love it.  Welcome to the club.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

bull

Welcome to the site. Nice car you have there too.

cudaken

Welcome, and hope to see you on the Teck Center as well. Look's like you could be of some help there.

Cuda Ken                                 
I am back

HemiTime

Thanks everyone...great to be a member.  Looks like some have better pictures of my car than I do...thanks for posting them.  BD - good to hear from another 1st CAV...you mentioned that you saw my car in the Mopar Mag...do you by chance have a copy...I never saw it or was told it was going to be in the mag.  Maybe you could email it to me if possible...resources1@cox.net 

Thanks
Hemi Time
Ed Roberts

RD

it was in the reader's rides section of mopar muscle.  i will see if i have the past copy, scan it, then email it to ya.

Charger_Fan

Welcome to the site, HemiTime :drool5:

One question; what's the cooler behind the rear end?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

NYCMille

Welcome dude... this is a good place to be.

ScottW

Great looking 1st gen Hemi-Time.  :2thumbs:

And friggin fast too. Welcome to the site.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Guns N Rotors

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

RD

forgot to ask, are you a member of the 1st Cavalry Division Association? I am.

This is prouably one of the hardest leaving race cars you will ever see. It has had a best of 1.39 60' on leaf springs with a 10' tire. Ed is very proud of his "Hemi Time" Charger.
Shawn Jennings

carpetperfect.com

RD

as would I!  :o @ 1.39 on a full bodied car!

psykicpup

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46.0.html

how to post pics & if you check out the Sitesuggestions/helpdesk the are post there about how to attach avatars & sig pics too so we can drool :drool5: every time tou post  ;D

by the way HI
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

golden73

Welcome to the site, that is a BEAUTIFUL car!!! :thumbs:

Steve P.

I have watched that 64' video about 30 times.. The front half of those leafs must be just about welded tight.. I love it...  I would also love to know more about it.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Nupe

Nice car!  :o  She looks great pullin' the wheels on the launch.   :musik010:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

RECHRGD

Welcome to the site!  Great car!! I do think that engine would look better in my car though. :icon_smile: :icon_smile:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

HemiTime

RD - Thanks for checking on the past issue of Mopar Muscle and emailing me a copy....Yes I am a member of the 1st Cav Division Assoc.

Charger Fan - The cooler behind the rear end is my transmission cooler with an electric fan...works great and that seemed to be a good place to mount it.

Guns N Rotors - Gary Owen back at you...were you with the Cav....if so when ...did you do a tour in Nam?

Steve P. - So you liked 572's movie...go to his site carpetperfect.com and read about the leaf springs...he taught me all I know about how to make a Dodge launch and go fast...his may not be a Charger but his Dodge will fly and he has a wealth of knowledge on making MOPAR's work.

"Hemi Time"

Steve P.

Hemi Time. I have 2 65' Coronet 500's .. One is very near perfect body wise. The other is half way to being a full on race car.. (I may be selling it though). I never have a closed ear when I can learn more about mopars.. Any and all info. you would like to share is more than welcome here..

Welcome to the site. There are sooooo many great people here it's incredible and I'm sure you will be a major asset to the site as well..  :patriot:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

HemiTime

Steve P....65 500 sounds like an interesting project.  Have you checked out carpetperfect.com of 572's.  Heard he is making a video on how he sets up his car...you might check that out.  He showed me how to set my charger up and it hauls the mail.

Hemi Time

firefighter3931

What an awesome car....that badboy is Hardcore !  :punkrocka: Welcome to the board Hemitime  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs