News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I Got Scammed for $7500 officially today

Started by 69charger2002, April 30, 2008, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmoparmofo

Man that sucks, sorry to hear it. Maybe the place where they picked up the money had some sort of camera system? If you get a pre paid cell, not even sure that they get a name? Good luck, hope you nail them!
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

71green go

I know this is VERY old....but was just curious if there was a happy ending at all....Hate to dig up the past and feel so bad about things like this...
Steve

charger_fan_4ever

Yikes never came across this thread before.

dixiestillalive

Hey man,

I live out side of Augusta, GA  . . . SC is just over the river and all I can tell you is that the general North Augusta, SC and Belvedere, SC region is SWARMING with Irish Gypsies, especially above I-20.  They are the biggest F**king con-artists I have ever seen.  I work in the ER's around here and they are constantly coming in with a scam for drugs, money, lawsuit . . .  you name it.  I'd start there if I were you.  Sorry for the loss though. Given what I know about them and my exparience, I doubt that the cars ever existed.

Indygenerallee

Geeze, talk about Zombie thread re-hash.. But it's for the best to keep this stuff up top just to let people know this stuff happens (even if the person buying did not use good judgement) I am EXTREMELY leary I have never been screwed over like that but it's probably because I don't trust people right off the bat. I have to know a certain person for a good amount of time. Sucks and folks like the ones that pulled this scam have it coming to them.... What goes around comes around.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Budnicks

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 12, 2013, 12:01:32 PM
Yikes never came across this thread before.
I never saw this before either, that royally sucks I wonder if anything ever came of the RR & Charger cars or con job....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

charge69

To many of us, that is a lot of money to be scamed out of !  I sincerely hope you get some of that money back but ............ I am thinking it will end up just being the "cost of admission" to the real world.

bobfist

Oh man...

Sounds like we have been scamed by the same guy
We won two cars from this guy a year ago.
He gold us the same story you wrote here.
It ended up pepole from overhere sweden went over go get him and they did.
But he didnt have the money we payed...
There is a website about this guy somewhere to warn about him.

www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

CornDogsCharger

I remember when all of this went down with Travis.  It nothing ever came from it though.... except a $7500 learning experience. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

1974dodgecharger

maybe im being biased but it seems it happpens alot in the mopar world? they know that mopar commands of a premium over other cars during that era?

Mike DC

Any old American muscle cars + money/value = rampant fraud, regardless of the brand.

I get the feeling that Mopars are just in the price bracket where it goes on a lot.  It's a lot harder to get away with fraud involving $100,000 cars, and there's no profit in ripping people off with $2000 cars.  

Old cars are less trackable than modern cars in general.  They've existed for 40-50 years, changing owners and states all along.  They have virtually all had restoration work done on them by now.  And they never had a lot of VIN numbering throughout the car to begin with.    

Fred

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on April 12, 2013, 08:40:08 PM
I remember when all of this went down with Travis.  It nothing ever came from it though.... except a $7500 learning experience. 

Justin
"CornDog"

Nobody needs a learning experience like that. That just plain hurts. What a bummer!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

472 R/T SE

Travis has probably stuck this so far into the back of his mind that he's forgotten about it.  And now, 4 years later, someone has to go & pick that scab off the old wound. 

71green go

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 13, 2013, 02:02:33 AM
Travis has probably stuck this so far into the back of his mind that he's forgotten about it.  And now, 4 years later, someone has to go & pick that scab off the old wound. 

That was not my intent.....this is something we can all learn from....as you can see bobfist also got ripped off years later by the same guy, had he read this it would have saved him money also
The thread could have been locked if it was meant to be buried....but good on travis for telling us about this, that took courage.

Dino

I don't think Travis will ever bury this in the back of his mind.  Would you?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

F8-4life

Wow this makes me getting shafted for $750 seem like a walk in the park.

Drache

206.190.53.19 - Sunnyvale, California

209.191.88.239 - Foster City, California

66.196.97.250 - Sunnyvale, California

216.39.53.1 - San Francisco, California

209.191.118.103 - San Francisco, California

209.191.88.47 - Foster City, California

68.142.202.247 - San Francisco, California

66.196.82.7 - Sunnyvale, California

216.39.53.2 - San Francisco, California

216.39.63.3 - San Francisco, California
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hemikev

Hi   at was time i was a P I ,  heres what i would do ,, although your friends here have already lead you in the right direction  ,, 

every cell hs a tracable address,, it just has to be turned on.
did he send you pics of the cars- if so all photos have a date and a address , u just dont see it , find a computer friendly guy...
all computers have I P addresses , so everytime they send or recieve that address will show , 
did u have any transactions  via your your smart phone (emails )
how did you send your coin --from your bank in person - on line tranfer -
where did you send your money  -  western union money order , to a bank , or to a western union type place,  cause they would have to show phoo i d to pick up , might of had to pay a fee to collect their $ (  this part very important )they will have a record of when money recieved and who picked up..
their phones ,,  were they cells , landlines     everything leaves a trail.
google names ,  use 411  ,  seach numbers and addresses  ,   although your friends here are really helping you out on this .

these people didnt just up and dissappear like a fart in the wind ,,  they didnt move ..their just on to their next victim ,,
unfortunatly you are small fry to cops really ..  so now you have to turn magnum P I  , do your own reasearch , find out if any 1 here lives close to where you were told the cars were ,  if you have pics , post them in a local buy and sell  searchin for thise cars .. or check on line in local buy and sells for those cars cause i wouldnt be surprised hes tryin to sell them again,  if you do find them ( have some 1 else make the contacts , inquiries--string them along and prolong for as long as you can...))  he bonused out here so he will try this scam again)
i wouldnt be surprised if hes sold these cars time and time again ,  Did the guy give you vins on cars , tital search ,
what you do now is make a list of conversations,  phone calls , detail everything , email addys,

Doe any 1 close to where cars picked up have a relative whos in law inforcement , 

Like i said its up to you really , so start takin this guy down ,  you can do this ,  you do have something on your side,  u belong to this site and you have the help of all these people out here ,  dont think your money or the cars are gone yet .  so if any 1 here lives close to scammers ,help this guy out ,

Post everything you know about the cars pics, vins , ads where cars were found , cell numbers , home addresses , anything and everything..

good luck to you ,

areibel

Read the first post, it explains it all.  And note the date, this all happened almost 5 years ago.

hemikev

o wow , so what ever happened , did he manage to recover anything

Cooter

I guess I know why he didn't buy my GL now.....I'dda been leary too. I even offered for him to come up and drive it, look it over, etc.
At least he woulda met a REAL person, with a REAL car though. That does suck, but here again, Buyer Beware out there.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69charger2002

Wow, didn't expect to see this thread at the top when i signed on tonight..    :'(  :icon_smile_blackeye:  
Yes in back of my mind now, but never forgotten. Ranks right behind the ass that i also got taken by in the "help parts stolen thread" that is a sticky in general discussion. I have had so any dealings buying and selling  old cars over the years, and you meet so many good people.. combined with the many dealings on dc.com, moparts, ebay etc.. that you almost build up a trust factor higher than it should be with people.. 98% of people are good. You guys know as well as I do that when deals pop up, you have to be fast acting, otherwise you lose the deal. Its also very hard when the deals are far away and you can't just jump on a plane at the drop of a hat to check every car out. Well in some few cases you get hosed. I've had a lot of good luck, and a few sour patches along the way. Tis the nature of dealing with purchases on the internet i guess. Nothing ever came of this, It was signed for by a person at a UPS store, and they wouldn't help, and neither would the local police. I guess it happens often enough by gypsies there that they can't really do much.. Cell phone was prepaid and though i beat a number out of the cell phone company, all the info was false and led nowhere. Yes Cooter i almost purchased your car, i could tell you were a real and genuine person lol. Just decided to go a different route. Your car was definitely worth the money.
I want to say i have learned a lot since then, but believe it or not it happened again not 3 months ago! Must be my luck. I won a 74 nice corvette on ebay for $9500 from a guy who had 12 feedbacks, all positive, 1 negative. Sent the money to North Carolina(NO NOT CASH i sent a bank cashier's check this time)and waited on the delivery. Yep car didn't exist. Good thing is ebay has buyer protection. I was given the $9500 back through ebay because i was covered for purchases. He did it to 3 other people before ebay caught on and shut his account down(and no this was not some random guy who got his ebay account hacked into). not your normal scam. This was a normal ebay auction, phone number, good pics, other good feedback from car sales, etc. Just doesn't matter how careful you are, you can still get screwed.. I hope ebay puts the guy under the jail, thank God i was covered this time around.. Man typing these stories makes me feel like a LOSER!! Like I'm a glutton for punishment or easily scam-able! I guess if you go with percentages, i've only been screwed over 0.1% of the time, but it still doesn't make it any less painful when it happens.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69charger2002

What's really sad is my heart sank when i signed on and saw this post, I thought oh man someone else got hosed for the same amount I did a few years back.. but no it was just me   :pity:

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

AKcharger

Quote from: 69charger2002 on April 14, 2013, 09:35:53 PM
What's really sad is my heart sank when i signed on and saw this post, I thought oh man someone else got hosed for the same amount I did a few years back.. but no it was just me   :pity:

:rofl:

Cooter

Lesson learned. The MLC guys (Who were yet, another bunch of losers ripping people off) just got busted and are in jail. FINALLY. The Cobra guys, as well as the Christine world can rest a little easier now.

http://dearborn.patch.com/articles/dearborn-man-charged-in-fraudulent-check-scam#video-13942562

A Dearborn man allegedly engaged in check fraud activity was charged with six felony counts on April 9 following a month-long investigation by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office.

Edwin Verdung, 26, was charged with three counts of larceny by false pretenses; two counts of writing a check with non-sufficient funds, and one count of writing a check having no account.

Verdung is accused of writing bad checks for the purchase of two vehicles and rent for a building in Wayne. He also was in possession of a truck reported stolen in Minnesota, police said.

During a video arraignment, Westland 18th District Judge Mark McConnell set a $100,000 cash bond. Verdung is currently being held in the Wayne County Jail.

In February, the owner of Templin Auto Sales in Ecorse filed a complaint with the sheriff's office in Westland claiming Verdung had paid for a 2011 Ford Fusion with a check for $9,500 that was later returned for non-sufficient funds.

Sheriff's deputies later discovered that Verdung had written a check for $3,300 to cover a security deposit and rent to lease a garage in Wayne. The property owner told police the account was inactive.

During the investigation, police said they also learned Verdung had issued a check for $8,000 with non-sufficient funds as a downpayment for a BMW and was in possession of a Ford truck that had been reported as stolen in Minnesota.

"This was good police work by several of our officers," said Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon. "With the cooperation of the victims, we were able to take a career criminal off the streets."

The larceny charges carry a sentence of five years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine or three times the value of the money or property involved. The charge of writing a check with non-sufficient funds is punishable by up to two years in prison and/or a $2,000 fine.

Police believe there may be other similar cases involving Verdung. Persons with information should contact the sheriff's office at 734-721-7519.