News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3" exhaust system

Started by Belgium R/T -68, April 29, 2008, 12:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

My GTX has a 3" exhaust system with standard 440 and stock exhaust manifolds, shouldn't it be better with 2,5"? I get a lot of irritating resonance sounds
from it and I have the feeling that the enginesound isn't as nice as it would be with a 2,5". The mufflers are TTi's standard. When do you need 3"?  :shruggy:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would say 3" exhaust would be warrented on an engine producing over 500hp, with headers.

Stock 440 with stock HP manifolds with 3" exhaust?  Nah....I bet your killing HP with that exhaust on there....not enough backpressure.  2½" would be a better bet
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hutch

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 29, 2008, 07:56:49 AM
I would say 3" exhaust would be warrented on an engine producing over 500hp, with headers.

Stock 440 with stock HP manifolds with 3" exhaust?  Nah....I bet your killing HP with that exhaust on there....not enough backpressure.  2½" would be a better bet

I never understood why a bigger exhaust system could hurt your horse power?  If you run open headers are you hurting your horse power?  More exhaust flow should be better performace I always thought.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Goodz

I thought I had ordered 2 1/2 inch pipes, but now that I am looking at them on the car, they look like 3".  I have a crappy little 318, so dont know if that is hurting my car too much or not.  As long as it runs, I am happy... for now.
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hutch on April 29, 2008, 08:00:29 AM

I never understood why a bigger exhaust system could hurt your horse power?  If you run open headers are you hurting your horse power?  More exhaust flow should be better performace I always thought.

In a way yes....like I said unless you have a high HP engine 3" exhaust will hurt performance.  You need backpressure for exhaust scavenging.  Running open headers on a low HP engine will just be a loud engine, nothing more.

Here is a Q & A from Pypes Exhaust.....

QuoteQ:  It seems as though 3" exhaust is the popular choice these days. Is there any disadvantages?
A: Yes! A stock horsepower car with 3" exhaust can lose noticeable low end torque and affect performance. Also, 3" pipe usually requires increased installation precision because of limited clearance issues. As a general rule, cars with less then 450hp should use 2.5" exhaust. Cars in the 450hp range could potentially benefit by a 3" crossover and still keeping 2.5" tails. Cars with 500hp + should utilize 3" or even larger tube size.

A quote from the Dynomax site...

QuoteA common misconception is that the larger the diameter, the better the system. Bigger, however, is not always better.Systems that are too large in diameter can actually hurt performance.
As a general rule, switching to a performance system that is 1/4" to 1/2" larger than stock will provide the best horsepower increases. To determine which pipe diameters will perform best with your vehicle's exhaust system, decide what RPM range at which your engine will operate, most of the time. Smaller-diameter pipes will produce low- to mid-RPM torque.Larger diameters produce mid- to high-RPM torque.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on April 29, 2008, 12:51:59 AM
My GTX has a 3" exhaust system with standard 440 and stock exhaust manifolds, shouldn't it be better with 2,5"? I get a lot of irritating resonance sounds
from it and I have the feeling that the enginesound isn't as nice as it would be with a 2,5". The mufflers are TTi's standard. When do you need 3"?  :shruggy:

The 3in is a little on the large side for a stock motor but if it's on there i would just leave it and install an x-pipe crossover. This will tone down the volume, increase scavenging and improve torque.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Good enough answers for me.  :2thumbs:

hutch

good points.  I guess it works with the compression of the engine if the pipes are in the correct range based on the engine hourse power?  is it because you rob the engine of compression if you run too big of a pipe when running at below 400hp? 
Is that how the backpressure works into it?

I am just trying to understand how it works.

firefighter3931

Quote from: hutch on April 29, 2008, 09:34:07 AM
good points.  I guess it works with the compression of the engine if the pipes are in the correct range based on the engine hourse power?  is it because you rob the engine of compression if you run too big of a pipe when running at below 400hp? 

In a nutshell the idea is to create a scavenging effect in your exhaust system so that the spent gases make it past the mufflers. It's all about velocity and generally the smaller pipes will have increased velocity. If the pipes are too large the spent gases end up being pulled back into the motor (reversion) and dilute the next incoming intake charge....this reduces power and efficiency.

This is where the x-pipe comes in ; the right and left banks work in tandem to pull the spent gases away from the manifolds creating a cleaner intake charge. The siamesed X joint creates a venturi effect....so the motor can inhale cleaner and doesn't have to work at pushing the gases away. The added side benefit is a quieter exhaust with reduced resonating.

That's the abreviated "Cliff Note" version....the long explanation would take several pages to type out  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hutch

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 29, 2008, 09:58:20 AM
Quote from: hutch on April 29, 2008, 09:34:07 AM

In a nutshell the idea is to create a scavenging effect in your exhaust system so that the spent gases make it past the mufflers. It's all about velocity and generally the smaller pipes will have increased velocity. If the pipes are too large the spent gases end up being pulled back into the motor (reversion) and dilute the next incoming intake charge....this reduces power and efficiency.

This is where the x-pipe comes in ; the right and left banks work in tandem to pull the spent gases away from the manifolds creating a cleaner intake charge. The siamesed X joint creates a venturi effect....so the motor can inhale cleaner and doesn't have to work at pushing the gases away. The added side benefit is a quieter exhaust with reduced resonating.

That's the abreviated "Cliff Note" version....the long explanation would take several pages to type out  :lol:

Ron

I got it,  will an H pipe produce the same effect than an X pipe if you are running 3" pipes?  I am sorry I am making you type so much. but this is some good stuff that I have been scratching my head on for a while now.

Just 6T9 CHGR

IIRC the H-pipe helps with resonance more than the scavenging effect.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Belgium R/T -68

I was wrong about my diameter, it was 2,5". Will I get down the resonancesound by changing to a X-pipe?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 29, 2008, 01:16:47 PM
IIRC the H-pipe helps with resonance more than the scavenging effect.....

Yep, the h-pipe is more of a balance tube for the right and left banks.

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on April 30, 2008, 01:09:52 PM
I was wrong about my diameter, it was 2,5". Will I get down the resonancesound by changing to a X-pipe?

Yes, the x-pipe will tone it down and improve performance.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Belgium R/T -68

Mounted today a new TTI 2,5" X-pipe system, have the same irritating resonance even on idle  :brickwall: Could it be that it hangs to stiff?  :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 15, 2008, 01:08:00 PM
Mounted today a new TTI 2,5" X-pipe system, have the same irritating resonance even on idle  :brickwall: Could it be that it hangs to stiff?  :scratchchin:

Do your exhaust hangers have rubber isolators on them ? What mufflers are on your car ? Pipes contacting the frame/chassis anywhere ?

Ron

Mick70RR

I hace a 3 inch exhaust system on the Road Runner. I fitted an h-pipe last night but I made it so I could split the two sides of the exhaust. It's got rid of an annoying resonance just off idle and toned it down a little so I can almost hear the radio.  :icon_smile_big:
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 15, 2008, 01:16:39 PM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 15, 2008, 01:08:00 PM

Do your exhaust hangers have rubber isolators on them ? What mufflers are on your car ? Pipes contacting the frame/chassis anywhere ?

Ron

Have TTI hangers and their dynomax turbo mufflers but it's really hanging very stuck, you can't moove the mufflers a millimeter (0,0394 inch). don't touch the body or frame,
no sound/heatdedeaner inside or coating under.

Belgium R/T -68

I am starting to think in the direction that it's my engine concept who gives this resonance sound, could this be? Maybe pocketported -906 heads with larger valves together
with standard inlet and outlet manifolds has a role to play?  :brickwall:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 15, 2008, 02:12:05 PM
no sound/heatdedeaner inside or coating under.

I think you've found your problem  ;)

Install some insulation under the carpeting and insulate the trunk divider/package tray area and it will quiet down...a LOT.

The SuperTurbo's are pretty quiet mufflers compared to most.  :yesnod:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Will certainly do so Ron, I also think beeing a convertible, the trunk is really a space for creating resonance and forward the noice. Like a big speakerbox. :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 17, 2008, 04:49:21 AM
the trunk is really a space for creating resonance and forward the noice. Like a big speakerbox. :icon_smile_big:

Exactly !  ;)   Insulate the back of the seat/trunk floor and floorpans and it will cut down a lot of noise/resonance  :2thumbs:

Ron