News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A simple question about heaters, et al...

Started by TonyN, April 26, 2008, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyN

Hello everyone...I am going to be posting some questions relating to some components in/behind the dash, and I wanted to make sure I was using the right terms.

1) The 'control box' that has all the levers, etc. for 'Heat/Cool' and 'Defrost', 'Fan', etc, etc that is mounted in the dash.  For purposes of discussion here on the board, what is that unit called?

2) Heater: I always called it the 'Heater Core', but I want to confirm that is what is referred to when talking about the unit that the coolant runs through, which provides heating for the interior? 

Basic ones, I know, but I want to be sure in the future I am referencing the right names/parts.

Thanks,

TN

gasoline_24

1.  This is called the heater box.
2.  You are correct.  This is called the heater core.

What line of work are you in?

Corellian Corvette

The heater controls are called the 'heater box'?

I thought the 'heater box' was the thing that went under the dash?

Heater Controls is what I always called the part with all the levers, etc.

gasoline_24

TonyN

Just to confirm, the thing under the dash (that fluid flows through) is the 'Heater Box'?  Is that the same as 'Heater Core'?

y3chargerrt

No the heater core is inside the heater box.

Chatt69chgr

And the heater core is different in a 2nd gen depending on whether you have air conditioning or not.  Box is the same.  Air conditioned cars use a dual core that, as far as I know, is only available from Classic Auto Air in FL.  The regular heater core is available at any parts store.  And if you have air conditioning, there is a "core" in the box for that.  It's in a separate area and it's called an evaporator.  If you decided to rebuild your heater box, you can get all the gaskets from Detroit Muscle Technologies.  I know you didn't ask for this info but thought I would provide it anyway.

gasoline_24

The A/C Heater box and the non A/C heater box are not the same. 

TonyN

In the name of all things holy, could someone please confirm for me that:

The thing in the dash with all the levers for heat, cold, defrost, etc. is called the 'Control Box'.

The thing under the dash, is called the 'Heater Box', and inside that 'Heater Box' is the 'Heater Core'.

Shakey

Quote from: TonyN on April 28, 2008, 06:56:12 PM
In the name of all things holy, could someone please confirm for me that:

The thing in the dash with all the levers for heat, cold, defrost, etc. is called the 'Control Box'.

The thing under the dash, is called the 'Heater Box', and inside that 'Heater Box' is the 'Heater Core'.

The controls on the dash are just that - heater controls!

And yes, the heater box under the dash is just that, a heater box.  In it is a heater core, a blower motor (that's the motor with the blower wheel attached that blows the air to your feet or to the windshield a.k.a. fan) and a flapper door that directs air to the feet or the windshield.

TonyN

Thanks Shakey...take the rest of the day off...

TN