News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going, going, GONE: SRT8 Challengers sold out

Started by 70charginglizard, April 27, 2008, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

well that sure was quick.

Posted Apr 24th 2008 1:59PM by Michael Harley
Filed under: Car Buying, Sports/GTs, Chrysler, Dodge

As expected, the entire first-year production run of 6,400 Dodge Challenger SRT8 models has sold out. The purchase slots for 2008 models were in short supply two months ago when we reported that more than 10,000 orders had been placed for the 425-hp muscle car. You can still give your dealer all the coins in your piggy bank, but the money goes on the hood of 2009 model, scheduled to arrive this fall.

If the thought of missing out on one of these rare 2008-model HEMI-powered beasts is keeping you up at night and you just can't wait for next year, there's always eBay. Although Chrysler tried to dissuade dealers from gouging, more than two dozen of the $37,995 (base MSRP) cars have been put on the auction site -- mostly by speculating dealers with prices in the mid-$50,000 range. Ah, the joys of a free market...

70charginglizard

Old Moparz

I forgot about those cars, I didn't get to the dealer to get one yet.   ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

mikesbbody

I figured that would happen give it a year or 2 and they will be everywhere (which isnt a bad thing  :2thumbs:)

69charger2002

27 on ebay right NOW.. freaking gouging dealers.. chrysler always does things ass-backwards.. not only are they super late in the pony car wars(once again) they have the balls to make the car limited production first, then production way later in the year? that is just messed up
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Chatt69chgr

Keep in mind who those dealers are when you place your order for your 2009 model.  No use rewarding those types of dealers with additional business. 

69charger2002

i thought the exact same thing. i watched some tv while i was in vegas. towbin dodge does a lot of advertising to sell their cars. of course they stick 2 on ebay trying to maximize profits   :rotz:

Kevin68N71

Well, I have some mixed feelings on this.

I don't like being gouged, but no one is forcing me to buy this car at this time.  It's not like someone put a premium on drinking water to screw people over when there is no shortage of water.  I can go buy a SRT Charger, a Corvette, a GTO, etc.  I have choices.

But what should a dealer do?  One would think it fair that he sells it to the first guy that comes in with a checkbook.  Well, that is a bit idealistic.

Tell the truth everyone, what would YOU do if you were a dealer?  Leave $20,000 on the table?  Why, on some vague notion of being fair?  How is supply and demand something that everyone else observes but not the car dealer?

Actually, what is FAIR is precisely auctioning off the car to the highest bidder.  If say a dealer is getting one or two only, by auctioning it off he is selling it to the person who wants it most, and is willing to put his cash where his mouth is.  What exactly is wrong with that?

You have the freedom to bid, or wait.  To be honest however, is any schmuck who pays above list like this just to have bragging rights FOR A FEW MONTHS has to be either rich beyond sense, or an idiot.  This is like when the Mazda Miatas first came out and yahoos were paying DOUBLE the price of the car, only to have the dealers flooded with them in a few months.

Even if I was rich I wouldn't do it.  I'll wait until the 6 speeds and the color combos come out, see how they all look, take some rides in them just to make sure that something crazy like my head hitting the headliner doesn't happen (that is one thing I will NOT put up with) or that I cannot get comfortable in the car.

I can relax getting my financing into place, work to get a good trade in price on my car, and have a pleasant exchange instead of some nerve rattling, very few cars, gotta move now nightmare.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Kevin68N71

And one other point, we should ALL be damn HAPPY they all sold out.  We should be throwing a party and drinking the champaign.

WHY?

Because that is called a g--damned sales success.  That means more of the same.  That means Chrysler building more of what WE like (we spoke, many did not like the 4 door Charger, Dodge returned to its roots) EVEN with the specter of CAFE looming ahead.

What we didn't need is a GTO situation--disappointing sales and after a few years its gone.  Now, it is early to say anything, the rest may sell too slow and they're all gone too in a couple of years.  But this is heartening.  People are saying yes to new musclecars, even with gas prices where they are.

Could not be better news.

RallyeMike

If I was a car dealer I'd feel pretty dumb selling them for sticker just to watch the "owner" flip it for +$20k the next day. 
If the dealers actually sold them for sticker, everyone complaining about the so called "gouging" would be flipping these cars themselves...
A) If they could afford one,
B) If they could beat the rest of the whole world to it !!

Everyone save your tears and pennies and buy one next year.

:2thumbs:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Shakey

:lol:

Whining about the dealers marking up the price tag on these cars and/or them selling them on e-bay to maximize profits make me laugh.

You wouldn't do the same?

Be honest if you choose to answer that question.

68charger383

I just hope that they make the 2008 SRT limited production and will hopefully open the dam next year for the rest of the SRT production, as opposed to the mustang where the limited production shelby's are still commanding sticker if not a higher mark up.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

69charger2002

Quote from: Shakey on April 28, 2008, 06:37:37 AM

Whining about the dealers marking up the price tag on these cars and/or them selling them on e-bay to maximize profits make me laugh.

not sure who that was directed at, but i for one am not whining, as i'm not going to spend $41k on one anyway, much less $55k. but it just doesn't seem right to me for a dealership to do that.. i don't feel sorry for a dealership when they let a truck go for $200 above dealer cost, that's their problem. and don't get me started on "well dealerships have to sell at 10k below MSRP on every other car, why can't they make $10k above MSRP for once". that's a total crock of shitaki.. the sticker prices are overinflated 10k to begin with, they are basically only coming down to what the truck is "worth" anyway.. anyone else remember the days when $1000 off MSRP was a deal? now they can afford to do silly things like $11000 off MSRP??? gimme a break.. IF i owned a dealership, i will tell you what i would do.. same thing my local dealership did for me.. called and asked if i wanted one of the 3 they were getting at sticker price... i'd reward the buyers who do lots of business with me, because believe it or not, people remember little things like that when buying their next car.
as a side note, of COURSE i am glad they sold out the challengers, that means maybe chrysler will see that our bitching for years will finally pay off.. and not prove us wrong. that's not my beef here..

Rob R

My neighbour is the new car manager at a chry dealership here in town...they are getting 4 in total...the first two sold for $20.000 over and the next two will probably sell the same.
He said he had to take a LOT of inventory to get those 4 cars...so 20 over really doesn't cover the turds he has to carry and then get rid of

Goodz

Anyone have a pic of the car?  I would like to see it.
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

68charger383

Quote from: 69charger2002 on April 28, 2008, 09:41:19 AM
Quote from: Shakey on April 28, 2008, 06:37:37 AM

not sure who that was directed at, but i for one am not whining, as i'm not going to spend $41k on one anyway, much less $55k. but it just doesn't seem right to me for a dealership to do that.. i don't feel sorry for a dealership when they let a truck go for $200 above dealer cost, that's their problem. and don't get me started on "well dealerships have to sell at 10k below MSRP on every other car, why can't they make $10k above MSRP for once". that's a total crock of shitaki.. the sticker prices are overinflated 10k to begin with, they are basically only coming down to what the truck is "worth" anyway.. anyone else remember the days when $1000 off MSRP was a deal? now they can afford to do silly things like $11000 off MSRP??? gimme a break..

When I worked for a dealer in the early 90s, the new car sales accounted for 10-20% of the dealer's profit, the servicing of the cars is where they made the bulk of their money. Usually if you sold someone a car, they would bring it back to you for $ervice.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

kab69440

Who gives a crap? I couldn't afford one even if they did sell at sticker price. I live in a $25k home. A $35k+ automobile is not in the cards for me at any time in the near future. I just hope my $500/ 200k+ mile Jeep Cherokee holds out for a while longer. :smilielol:
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on April 27, 2008, 10:45:32 PM
And one other point, we should ALL be damn HAPPY they all sold out.  We should be throwing a party and drinking the champaign.

WHY?

Because that is called a g--damned sales success.  That means more of the same.  That means Chrysler building more of what WE like (we spoke, many did not like the 4 door Charger, Dodge returned to its roots) EVEN with the specter of CAFE looming ahead.

What we didn't need is a GTO situation--disappointing sales and after a few years its gone.  Now, it is early to say anything, the rest may sell too slow and they're all gone too in a couple of years.  But this is heartening.  People are saying yes to new musclecars, even with gas prices where they are.

Could not be better news!

Dang, right on for you brother!  I agree a 100%.  I was one of those over the top people claiming to buy one then changing my mind.  I'm thrilled they listened and the people ( not me ::) ) responded.   :patriot:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: kab69440 on April 28, 2008, 01:01:37 PM
Who gives a crap? I couldn't afford one even if they did sell at sticker price. I live in a $25k home. A $35k+ automobile is not in the cards for me at any time in the near future. I just hope my $500/ 200k+ mile Jeep Cherokee holds out for a while longer. :smilielol:

Amen! :cheers:

You know what, I really don't care what these cars sell for.
I don't want one.  :Twocents:

I guess a lot of it is due to the fact I don't like 90% of modern 'consumer' cars.  :eek2:
Call me a Neanderthal, but I prefer to be in control of/connected to the car.
I like my fast pedal 'directly' connected to the fuel/air source.
I like my shift lever to actually be connected to more than wires and circuit boards.
Any more, it seems like vehicles are just flashy 4 wheel computers.

And no sir, I don't like it.

Not to mention the fact that Chrysler lost me with the 4-door charger. :RantExplode:
Building a 2 door Challenger just proves that Chrysler could have done it right the first time. :shruggy:
Hell, to me it's like the Challenger is salt in the wound even. :brickwall:

That being said, more power to the dealerships. ::)
I guess the old addage, "if you hype it enough, someone's gonna buy it", still applies. :D
God bless capitalism anyhow, right?  :2thumbs:
Maybe I'll just buy an Escalade. :nana:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

TheGhost

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on April 27, 2008, 10:41:19 PMActually, what is FAIR is precisely auctioning off the car to the highest bidder.  If say a dealer is getting one or two only, by auctioning it off he is selling it to the person who wants it most, and is willing to put his cash where his mouth is.

Not necessarily.  Having more money than someone else does not mean you want the car more, just means you can spend more on it.

I'll wait for my V6 ragtop.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

moparstuart

Quote from: TheGhost on April 28, 2008, 03:50:44 PM
Quote from: Kevin68N71 on April 27, 2008, 10:41:19 PMActually, what is FAIR is precisely auctioning off the car to the highest bidder.  If say a dealer is getting one or two only, by auctioning it off he is selling it to the person who wants it most, and is willing to put his cash where his mouth is.

Not necessarily.  Having more money than someone else does not mean you want the car more, just means you can spend more on it.

I'll wait for my V6 ragtop.
I'll wait for my hemi shaker hood ragtop . :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chris G.

Remind me again how many 4dr Chargers have sold? That was a huge success for Chrysler regardless of what anyone thinks. The only people Chrysler listens to, are their financial advisor's. :Twocents:

bzabodyn

I think I'm going to save my $45k for a '96/97 Blue/White Viper GTS instead - there were only +/- 6000 1st gen Viper GTS's ever made...

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

Kevin68N71

Quote from: Chris G. on April 28, 2008, 04:07:52 PM

Remind me again how many 4dr Chargers have sold? That was a huge success for Chrysler regardless of what anyone thinks. The only people Chrysler listens to, are their financial advisor's. :Twocents:

They sold tons of them, I didn't say it was not a success, as was the 300.  What I DID say is that there were ALOT of people who also did not like the style, and wished for something that looked the part, hence, the Challenger.  There is no denying that Chrysler heard what enthusiasts had to say, as they did with the Viper, and they are turning out the Challenger.

kab69440

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on April 28, 2008, 01:26:16 PM
Quote from: kab69440 on April 28, 2008, 01:01:37 PM

Ahem! :cheers:

You know what, I really don't care what these cars sell for.
I don't want one.  :Twocents:

I guess a lot of it is due to the fact I don't like 90% of modern 'consumer' cars.  :eek2:
Call me a Neanderthal, but I prefer to be in control of/connected to the car.
I like my fast pedal 'directly' connected to the fuel/air source.
I like my shift lever to actually be connected to more than wires and circuit boards.
Any more, it seems like vehicles are just flashy 4 wheel computers.

And no sir, I don't like it.

Not to mention the fact that Chrysler lost me with the 4-door charger. :RantExplode:
Building a 2 door Challenger just proves that Chrysler could have done it right the first time. :shruggy:
Hell, to me it's like the Challenger is salt in the wound even. :brickwall:

That being said, more power to the dealerships. ::)
I guess the old addage, "if you hype it enough, someone'll gonna buy it", still applies. :D
God bless capitalism anyhow, right?  :2thumbs:
Maybe I'll just buy an Escalade. :nana:
`

Amen, Brother John, Amen.  Speak the words! The formerly-faithful are listening!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Brock Samson

Charger_Fan

I expect that somewhere in the spring of 2012, I will buy a nice '08 SRT with 78,000 miles on the clock. :icon_smile_tongue:

Quote from: Goodz on April 28, 2008, 10:30:01 AM
Anyone have a pic of the car?  I would like to see it.
I have two. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Goodz

Guess I am a neandethal too.  I actually like this car.   ;D
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 70charginglizard on April 27, 2008, 07:47:00 PM

well that sure was quick.

how's that ? THERE IS NOT MARKET FOR 2 DOORS CARS!!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

pettyfan43

People can gripe, whine and complain about it all they want, if i had the $$$$ to own one, rest assured this fat boy from Alabama would be waiting for a white one to arrive, Maybe black or maybe silver! But I'd have one on the way!!!!!!!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

That's about all you'll have because I believe after 2012 the party will be all over.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Ghoste on May 01, 2008, 03:30:02 AM
That's about all you'll have because I believe after 2012 the party will be all over.

Sounds like Chysler's still par for the course.  :brickwall:

But this time GM is behind them in the 'musclecar' wars instead of already being in the game.

Well, I guess you could count the Jellybean, I mean GTO. :D
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

MOPARHOUND!

Posted on Craigslist, yesterday May 1st, believe it is the Warrensburg, MO Dodge Dealer:

2008 CHALLENGER SRT8
Dark Slate Gray ,Hemi Orange Pearl
Prem Leather Trim Bucket Seats-Hemi Orange Accents Incl.
Monotone Paint Incl.
3.06 Axle Ratio Incl.
5-Speed Automatic Transmission with Autostick® Incl.
6.1-Liter SRT HEMI V8 Engine Incl.
13-Speaker Kicker SRT High- Performance Audio Incl.
AM/FM 6-Disc DVD MP3 Radio Incl.
245/45ZR20 All Season Performance Tires Incl.
Goodyear Brand Tires Incl.
20" x 9.0" Forged Aluminum SRT Design Wheels Incl.
MSRP As Configured: $40,095
Current Incentives
Net Price: $40,095 plus $15,000 over sticker price
call kyle bingham at 660-747-5175
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Ghoste

I'm sure he won't, but I hope he's still trying to move it from inventory a year from now.

myk

68charger383

I was at the Spring fling in CA today and they had the hemi orange Chally. It was kind of cool because they had it sitting with the windows down and you could stick your head in and get a good look.

Some company also had a cuda vert on display. Not sure if it was the same company that made the other cuda shown in all the mags. At the least, it gives a good idea of what the chally vert will look like.

Overall, the car looked pretty good.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Blakcharger440

keepat

The new Challengers are fat! over 4100 lbs
Pat

sunroofgtx

Ragtop gotta be 4400. Especially an SRT Ragtop... I wonder who is in charge of the sales program. ?? Nice cars..I'd still like to trade this in..

472 R/T SE

Quote from: sunroofgtx on June 04, 2008, 01:19:36 PM
Ragtop gotta be 4400. Especially an SRT Ragtop... I wonder who is in charge of the sales program. ?? Nice cars..I'd still like to trade this in..

I thought you said something before about joking about it.  Regardless, good luck getting the dealership to give you any money.  ;)  Or better yet they could give you a hardtop & soft top and call it even.