News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Caltracs are in! (w/pics)

Started by Hemidoug, April 27, 2008, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

Got to installing the Caltracs and mono leafs (+1 inch over stock) today. Everything went well and they went in without any modifications needed. They provide everything you need except new U bolts, which I purchased in addition. I also bought a new front hanger from Mancini. The whole job took about 2 hours taking my time. I also installed the Rancho adjustable shocks they recommended. I'll be sorting them out in the next 2 weeks so I'll post up some more info then. I did take the car for a quick spin with the street tires and she seemed a lot more responsive to the throttle. She really jumps with throttle input. I'm not so sure I like the setup for street driving, she feels more bouncy, like driving a 1 ton pickup with no load in the back. I'll get some more street time on them and see how she feels. Here are some pics of the install and what she looks like with the 1 inch lift. I'd say she looks a little more "aggressive" with the extra inch. I love the look with the steel wheels and the Hoosiers!

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Mefirst

-Cool :2thumbs:

I'm gonna run with the old school SS spring set up this summer. Reason is simple, not enough money to buy a Cal-Track setup right now, and I have not even got a fair chance to test how my car really runs due to missfortune...

Let us know how they work out at the track :cheers:

/Tom

PS: Are those slicks 9" wide and how tall are they?

Hemidoug

They are Hoosier quick time pros in 28x11.5 15s. The exact same size as P275 60 15s. :2thumbs:

70sixpkrt

Nice stance!!  :2thumbs: I was going to go with the caltrac setup also but I heard they are bouncy on the street. Nice looking car.  :2thumbs:

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Hemidoug

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on April 27, 2008, 08:04:07 PM
Nice stance!!  :2thumbs: I was going to go with the caltrac setup also but I heard they are bouncy on the street. Nice looking car.  :2thumbs:

Yea, they are bouncy.....I just took a short drive with them after I was done so I haven't really given them a chance on the street, but it is a lot like driving a 1 ton pickup without a load in the back. I'm guessing I can take some of the bounce out by adjusting the shocks. I'll have to play with it some more before I make a final decision for the street.

bull

That's cool. I can't say I'm too crazy about that shackle hanging down in front but it's probably not enough to spoil it for me.

Hemidoug

That's not a shackle, that is part of the Caltrac system. It really a cantilever that pushes the spring down as the rear rotates under power.

BB1

That's very nice.  :2thumbs: Love that Silver Charger too brother.  ;)
Delete my profile

firefighter3931

Nice work Doug....luv the new attitude !  :2thumbs:

Quote from: Hemidoug on April 27, 2008, 08:11:22 PM

Yea, they are bouncy.....I just took a short drive with them after I was done so I haven't really given them a chance on the street, but it is a lot like driving a 1 ton pickup without a load in the back. I'm guessing I can take some of the bounce out by adjusting the shocks. I'll have to play with it some more before I make a final decision for the street.

If you have the caltrac bars preloaded they will make the car feel like a truck. Try backing off the preload and it will ride much smoother.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blown70

I love to see a DANA 60 under the A$$ of those things...... :2thumbs:  looks good.

Hemidoug

Thanks Ron! Yea there is some preload on them (just touching) so I'll back it off some and see. I'm really digging the "old School" look of the steelies and slicks. Now I just need to figure out what to do about the front. I do have a set of skinnies mounted on Weld Drag-lites but I'm split between going steel all the way around or Torq Thrusts....

472 R/T SE

What about a driveshaft loop?  It looks like you're runnin' big exhaust too.  With my Overdrive and 3" tti a loop is gonna be tough for me.

As far as the bouncy ride, I wonder how much of that is preload & the monoleaf.  The consensus I received was to run the old worn out springs if I wasn't gonna run the mono.  I already have new springs so gonna use them instead.

Hemidoug

Here is the drive shaft loop I had made when I had the frames tied. As you can see no problem at all with the exhaust and GV OD. I can hook you up with the guy who did the work if you want. He's a real nice guy who does some quality fabbing....

As far as the Caltracks are concerned there was no way i was going to get this thing to hook without doing something. I didn't want to go with the SS springs because I didn't want to lift the car that much so this seemed the best route. I still need to play with the settings and learn the combo so I'm reserving comment for now. We'll see when we get to the track!

472 R/T SE

Extra thanks for the second picture.  I was wondering how the loop mounted.  Your guy kept it nice and clean, less holes.  I asked my fab guy about ordering something like the $30 Summitt one since there's no way the US CarTool one will work and he said not to worry about it cause he was gonna fab something up.  I can take your picture to him, that'll help.

My space between the exhaust and floor still doesn't look like it's enough. 

Are your new U bolts from Cal Tracs?  Reason I ask is I ordered new ones from them but am using new Hemi springs which will use up more space versus you using the mono leaf.  Just wondering if the new ones will be deep enough with my springs?  I'm just trying to make sure I have every thing bought.

Thanks Doug.

Hemidoug

Yes, they are the ones from Caltrac. I'll let you know if they work with the stock springs because I'll be re-installing them soon. I'll be doing a little track test at Atco and I want to baseline using the stock setup and swap everything at the track. Glad the picture helps, hopefully he can work something similar out for your application.

FLG

Looks good, Do Caltracs work on 3rd gens?  :scratchchin:

GT

Are you running your parking brake cable over or thru your frame connectors?
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Hemidoug

FLG...They will work on anything that has leaf springs...just need the correct spring.

GT.....The cable goes through a hole in the frame ties......

tan top

:scope:  real nice job of of them frame connectors  ,clever idea with the drive shaft loop  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

FLG

Thanks doug, but excuse my ignorance...what would the "correct" spring be?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Hemidoug on April 29, 2008, 08:54:11 PM
Yes, they are the ones from Caltrac. I'll let you know if they work with the stock springs because I'll be re-installing them soon. I'll be doing a little track test at Atco and I want to baseline using the stock setup and swap everything at the track. Glad the picture helps, hopefully he can work something similar out for your application.

Sounds like a lot of work.  Did you think about maybe contacting a magazine to sell your results to?  Brian S. rubs elbows with some rag folks, maybe he could hook you up?  :shruggy:  It'd definitely be some valuable information for some folks.

C_stripes

Those Hoosiers are bad ass looking tires
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Hemidoug

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 30, 2008, 02:44:30 PM
Quote from: Hemidoug on April 29, 2008, 08:54:11 PM

Sounds like a lot of work.  Did you think about maybe contacting a magazine to sell your results to?  Brian S. rubs elbows with some rag folks, maybe he could hook you up?  :shruggy:  It'd definitely be some valuable information for some folks.

SSSSSSHHHHHH................ :D  :D  :D  :D  :coolgleamA:

FLG...The correct spring would be 1. the Mono leaf springs that Caltrac sells or 2. Any spring other then the Super Stock spring...the more worn the better.....

FLG

Thanks doug,

How do these mono springs handle on the street/highway?? Or are they strictly drag?

Hemidoug

I'm told you can use them on the street....I don't have any time on them yet....but you can count on the fact that I will as time goes on.... :D

idahogrumpy

I have them on my 73 with stock springs, Takes more work to install. The Iso mount springs are a bit of a problem. Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002