News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quick ball joint question

Started by 73chargers4404, April 27, 2008, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargers4404

i have quick question i recently replaced my ball joints on my 73 and after i got done i noticed the box the new ball joints came out of had a big heavy washer in each box ,the only place i could see where they might go would be on the otherside of the spindle castle nut,i never seen this washer in any my books ,mu question is if i should take the nuts back off and put these washers in .thanks for the help

John_Kunkel

Those upper ball joints are usable way back into the fifties, some installations use the washer and some don't.

As long as the nut tightens OK and the cotter pin hole is inside the castellations on the nut, the washer isn't needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

terrible one

:yesnod:

Sometimes if you look at the piece of paper included it will show where the nut needs to be compared to the stud. The washer is used only if it is needed to get the nut in the right place for the cotter pin to go through and secure it safely.