News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 440 six pack couldn't get out of the 16.50s........

Started by JR, June 11, 2008, 01:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

We went to the quarter mile dragstrp last month, and I got outran by the freakin tow vehicle that pulled me down there......

Anyway, the specs on my freshly built engine are 440 .030 over. Flat top speed pro 9-1 compression pistons, stock forged crank and rods, Comp cams XE268 cam, iron sixpack intake and carbs professionally rebuilt, 727 auto with mancini 2200 stall converter, 3.23 rear gears, electric fan, aluminum radiator, full interior, MSD 6A box, stock suspension, etc.. The fuel pump is definatley too small, I've got a 10 psi autozone fuel pump that's starving the car for gas I'm sure. Seems like after 50 feet its out of fuel.

We didn't degree the camshaft when we assembled it, just lined up the dots. I still havent put a timing light on the engine either. Just got it close enough by ear. The only really tuned part on the engine are the carbs I suppose. They were rebuilt by a professional Pro Stock driver/mechanic.

It feels like there is potential here. I lined up with a 400 hp Supercharged 06 Mustang GT, and had him the first 100 feet til the bottom just fell out of my car. Also, it seems to bog and cut out if you put it under a load while crusing like the valves are rattling. Similar to running too low octane gasoline.

My car is running all kinds of stupid, and it's really embarrasing to have a car look so good and run so bad. How should this car be running? What kind of times?

What do I need to do? Also, what is QUIET high po fuel pump? I've had a holley blue, and while it was more than strong enough, the constant whining on a car I mainly drive on the street is very annoying.

To quote Martin Larwence here, "What the problem is?"

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Ghoste

I think you already know the biggest issues, fuel and timing.  If it were mine, I'd run more gear in the back too.

Blown70

Fuel as you and timing will be big, as you and the above mentioned.  Also, 3:23 gear for the strip?  4:10 will get you to a good number but not as much for a sunday drive.

JR

Hopefully I'll have a bigger fuel pump here soon.

Is the timing causing the bog under accelration while crusing?

Also, I don't really want to swap gears until I have an overdrive. The car sees 95 percent Highway/interstate driving, and a drag strip trip maybe once every 3 months. When the gear vendors or 5 speed comes in, then I'll up to some 3.91s or 4.10s.

Thanks for the help guys!

firefighter3931

Jr there are a couple of problems....fuel delivery and timing curve.

Get a timing light on it and bump the initial up to 15* at idle and disconnect the vac advance. Check the total timing and hopefully it's in the 36-38* range at 2800-3000 rpm. You might need to swap in some lighter springs to speed up the timing curve.

The mallory 110 gph electric pump is quiet, reliable and will be plenty for that engine combination. Regulate the fuel pressure at 6psi. If you want a mechanical pump the carter 120 gph street pump is self regulated at 6-7 psi and will do the job.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

unless the fuel pump is junk its not the hole problem.  i have a 3.23 geared  383 with a stock pump that runs 102 mph.    if you dont want to go to an electric pump then use a good carter mechanical pump.  i run the carter strip mechanical pump on my roadrunner and its been goood for 119.92mph so far.     did you replace the fuel pump pushrod?, those dudes can wear down and and not let the pump work correctly,  also check your fuel pickup sock, fuel filter,  look for rotten rubber fuel line that might be coming apart,  what kind of shape is the fuel filter in?   do you have rust in the fuel tank that could be clogging things up?.   is the fuel level good in the bowls,  ( to high of a level can cause problems also). any kinked fuel lines?  and the first thing id check is to see if your getting full throttle.       timing can make a huge differeance in et.    also i assume you have vacuum secondaries still?   i know nothing about 6 packs, but i do know that if you get a vacuum secondary holley to drop the secondaries in to fast it will fall on its face as well.   id check all the free stuff first,  then move on to stuff that costs money.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Runner

also, i see your running stock manifolds,  nothing wrong with that but whats the rest of the exhaust system like.   

JR

Thanks for the help guys. The fuel pump is electric. The exhaust is actually a brand new 2.5 inch madrel bent with 40 series flowbastards. The car is just coming from a 4 year garage resto, so all the parts are new or reconditioned. The fuel line is 3/8in all the way. Ive got more to add here but two jobs makes it hard to find time....

Thanks again..

mikepmcs

Quote from: JR on June 11, 2008, 01:43:39 AM

We didn't degree the camshaft when we assembled it, just lined up the dots. I still havent put a timing light on the engine either. Just got it close enough by ear. The only really tuned part on the engine are the carbs I suppose. They were rebuilt by a professional Pro Stock driver/mechanic.

Start here as mentioned above.  Nobody has pinged on the not degreed the camshaft yet?

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Runner

Quote from: JR on June 12, 2008, 06:40:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The fuel pump is electric

what kind of pump do you have now?  electric what?     

craigandlynda

lots of things to look at...i used to race 440-6 pak (more than a few)years ago...mine was bone stock, except for hookers...and turned consistant 11.90's once i worked out a few "bugs.",....as stated before, get enough timing...and with 323,s don't expect miracles in the 1320...but to add my two cents worth, here aree a few things to check that havent yet =been mentioned...1.) fuel delivery...a good carter mechanical hemi pump usually supplies enough fuel...2) double check the fuel line, and the pickup in the tank...i beleive they should be the larger hemi parts on six pak cars...3) fuel filter- this is the one that got me- i had a simple in/out two-legged inline filter- and was running out of fuel about 2/3rds the way down the track...when i used an original type 3-legged (extra outlet for venting ) filter, that problem disappeared...4) finally, having rebuilt sixpaks, you can "fine tune" the secondary vacuums by getting a holley track pak of different springs for putting inside the vacuum pods...different springs allow the secondaries to open at different vacuum levels...this made a BIG difference,,,got under 12.00 with first spring change...hope these ideas help.

metcoll

not to get get off topic but there's no way that a  stock 440 six-pack will run low 12's.........

craigandlynda

yes, a "stock" 440-6 can do low 12's...the block, heads, eddy intake and holley 2300's were stock...the particular superbee we ran was a 69 1/2, manual steering, battery in trunk, 4.56 dana, goodyear 8" cheater slicks...four speed stick w zoom clutch  ..90/10's in front, gabriels in back, bench seat, radio delete, f-glass liftoff hood, running on sunoco 260. mods: change of holley vacuum springs in secondary pods,; hooker supercomp headers, open; michelin front rubber at 45#; accel coil + distributor; solid core wires; and a "cool can,"....i'm sure i'm not the only one that pulled times like that w a440-6 pak.. those motors already came w windage trays, 6 qt pans, double roller timing chains, hemi size fuel lines and pickup, etc...   :Twocents:

375instroke

I guess with slicks and shifting better than Ronnie Sox you can get low 12s.

yeahitsgotahemi!

Theres an article in the oct. Mopar Action I just bought and it talks about the A12 cars. The factory tuned a few for magazine tests. Theres a quote by Larry Shephard "...we prepped three of them for media use. However, the first one went 11.90s throught the mufflers on its maiden test session, so we had to back them down to make them believable and also ask that particular magazine not to run their story!" The same article talks about Ronnie Sox actually putting the car in at 12.9 at 111+.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

mally69

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on July 01, 2008, 08:17:33 PM
Theres an article in the oct. Mopar Action I just bought and it talks about the A12 cars. The factory tuned a few for magazine tests. Theres a quote by Larry Shephard "...we prepped three of them for media use. However, the first one went 11.90s throught the mufflers on its maiden test session, so we had to back them down to make them believable and also ask that particular magazine not to run their story!" The same article talks about Ronnie Sox actually putting the car in at 12.9 at 111+.

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:     :shruggy:

Musicman

Yes a factory stock 6-Pak will run low 12's... Just ask MR SIX PACK himself - Bob Karakashian

Chryco Psycho

Not degreeing in the cam & the profile are detrimental as well , the cam could be losing you well over 25 HP & I have seen cams ground as much as 12* off even with the dots lined up right

375instroke

4speed

Quote from: Musicman on July 01, 2008, 09:40:18 PM
Yes a factory stock 6-Pak will run low 12's... Just ask MR SIX PACK himself - Bob Karakashian
heres the man him self!!! one of the nicest guys you will ever meet  :2thumbs: :drive: :iagree: :2thumbs:

craigandlynda

that pic brings back memories...i had the exact same model and color 69 1/2 superbee...it's like looking down there into my past....yikes!....there was one difference tho...i had two two bar adapters sticking out thru the front bumper slots...i flat towed it to the track (usually maple grove near reading, pa)...the tow bar company made one bar setup, then you bought adapters for your model car....they didn't make any to fit the 69 coronet....but i discovered that i could take '57 chevy adapters, turn them upside down, and slip them thru the bumper slots and they'd bolt to the frame and hook up just perfectly.

craigandlynda

69_500

And if it was truly like looking back to 1969 wouldn't your washer bottle open the right way too?

sorry just had to say it.

A stock 6 pac car will run very well if properly tuned and dialed in.