News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stumbling on take off

Started by Charger72SE, June 03, 2008, 08:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

I replaced the spark plugs, rotor and distributor cap and now my car stumbles a bit on acceleration.  I made sure the ignition wires were well seated on the plugs and cap. and during the cap swap, made sure the ignition wires went to the right spot.

any ideas???

thanks much!

MNMopar

How old is the timing chain? a loose one will hesitate to engage correctly. Or carb float. But I'm having similar problem so just my  :Twocents:

Gabmando

Stumbling off the line can also be caused by a vacume leak or a bad or incorrectly adjusted accelerator pump.

Doc

Or a BAD acc pump ! ... do you know how to check-that-out ?

bordin34

What carb do you have? Is it a Hollley Street Avenger?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger72SE

thanks for your comments - the carb is a Holley 4160, original model for the car

I think I threw off the timing a bit when I replaced the distributor cap, it's a really tight fit with one of the front mounting brackets (see pic).  It runs pretty rough at stop lights as well.  I also noticed while changing the rotor & cap that the distributor is pretty ugly, so I ordered a rebuilt distributor which goes in this weekend.

the carb was rebuilt 2 years ago by a pro, so I don't think it's the carb.  I'm waiting to see how the new distributor works out.  I should have replaced it when I rebuilt the engine 3 yrs ago.

we'll see what happens!