News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bad gas??

Started by Charger72SE, April 20, 2008, 04:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

yesterday I went out to burn off the last 1/4 tank of gas left over from winter hibernation.  I drove the Charger over 20 miles and it ran great.

I filled up with 93 octane at a BP gas station and literally 3 miles later, the Charger was struggling to make power.  When I had to slow down for traffic lights, and the rpm fell to 1000, the car would almost die.  It would run very rough at low rpm, and it died 3 times while I tried backing it into the garage.

So I drained all the gas out of the tank and removed the gas filter.  I cut it open and the paper was clean.

This morning I turned it over and the engine was still rough at lower rpm.  At first it would almost die at 1000 rpm, got better at 1500 and ran pretty smooth at 2000 rpm.  After 10 minutes of running the engine at various rpm speeds, it got smoother at 1500, and then at 1000 rpm, it was a bit rough but it wouldn't die.

so is it the gas?  what over things should I check?

thanks much for any ideas!!

FLG

Maybe it built up some moisture in the tank after sitting over the winter? Drain everything out of the tank, or as much as you could. Add fresh gas and some water remover and see if she cleares up.

hutch

if you have a boating store near by you can get some e-zorb or something that will remove the water from your fuel. 

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6412

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Charger72SE

actually, I had a full tank of gas during winter storage to make sure no moisture built up.  This was the third time I drove the car after storage to run out all the old gas.  The car ran fine all 3 drives until I filled up yesterday with a fresh tank of gas.

sorry, I wasn't clearer

any ideas?  the only thing that changed from running great to running rough was the new gas. 

firefighter3931

Throw some gasline antifreeze in your tank....it sounds like the feul you purchased most recently has water in it.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 20, 2008, 07:38:39 PM
Throw some gasline antifreeze in your tank....it sounds like the feul you purchased most recently has water in it.  :P

Ron

That seems to be happening a lot lately :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger72SE

thanks guys, I'll give it a go

paying $3.70 a gallon for 93 octane gas that has water in it - it just ain't right

Ghoste

I wonder if the wild price fluctuations have the distributors waiting for low cost days before ordering fuel instead of just trying to keep storage filled?  (leaving them vulnerable to condensation)

Charger72SE

thanks, guys

that was the problem - water in the gas. I added a bottle of de-icer and let the car sit for 3 days.  Today it started up and run like her old self again.

I'm tempted to add de-icer on every fill up this year - I don't want to go through that again