News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bolts from rusting?

Started by coxie1996, February 14, 2012, 08:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxie1996

so on my 73' 440 i wire wheeled every bolt thread and head of bolt and they look new.. almost shiny chrome.. i know as soon as i re install all my parts that they will start rusting.. how can i prevent this? is there a treatment for the bolts? i rather not buy all new bolts as these are the original oem bolts to my engine.. thanks i just dont know what to do

bill440rt

Yep. It's called "replating".
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chatt69chgr

How about using gun blueing solution on them.  Also, I think Eastwood sells materials to do different kinds of plating.  But the best solution is to have them replated.  Of course, different bolts were plated differently.  Getting all of them done correctly and just keeping up with what goes where will be a task in itself.

coxie1996

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 15, 2012, 10:51:26 AM
How about using gun blueing solution on them.  Also, I think Eastwood sells materials to do different kinds of plating.  But the best solution is to have them replated.  Of course, different bolts were plated differently.  Getting all of them done correctly and just keeping up with what goes where will be a task in itself.
oi found something on eastwood last night i might try but i know nothing about replating.. is it like the process of chrome plating but not chrome? and were can i have these done? thanks alot guys!  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Try this.

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1209002197/0#0

Those tumblers Eastwood sell are excellent for cleaning bolts. I use one of them and bead blast to prep before plating.

coxie1996

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 15, 2012, 07:56:51 PM
Try this.

Those tumblers Eastwood sell are excellent for cleaning bolts.

the bolts are bare metal clean and right now in my room in a tub bagged and tagged.. i understand i need to plate them... but what all do i need to buy except the tumbler? thanks guys

gtx6970

Are these the bolts that will be painted engine color ?

if so just put a light primer coat on them till your ready to assemble the engine - then spray engine color

Chatt69chgr

I don't think the plating processes that were used by the bolt suppliers to Chrysler were electrochemical processes----like chrome plating.  I think they are processes where the bolt is dipped into a chemical solution.  The gun blueing process I mentioned is done by the manf using a hot chemical solution.  I have used the Casey's cold blue.  It works pretty good if you have first completely removed the rust via mechanical means like a wire wheel on a drill (I suppose you could do the same thing with the chemical rust removers).  With a cleaned and derusted bolt, you have to kind of rub the blueing onto the bolt.  Repeated additions of the material will make it darker.  You then wash off the item in water and rub with some 0000 steel wool and then blow dry.  You need to oil the part then.  I have no idea how this finish will react with time but it looks a lot better than an old rusted bolt or one that is shiny as a new quarter. 

I'd be interested in anybodys results that have bought and used one of the various Eastwood products.

Note that there are several different bolt finishes that were used.  A web search will lead you to some articles in magazines describing the different finishes that were used "back in the day".

I have no idea where you would send bolts to to have the coating reapplied.  Somebody on this forum probably does.  Most likely a visit to your local industrial bolt and screw place or the local industrial supply houses in your area would lead you to a local refinishing source----assuming you live in a large metropolitan area.

coxie1996

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 16, 2012, 09:06:12 AM
Are these the bolts that will be painted engine color ?

if so just put a light primer coat on them till your ready to assemble the engine - then spray engine color

oh no i want these to be bare metal color or silver etc.. just dont know what all i need to keep them from rusting..

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

coxie1996

maxwellwedge

Quote from: coxie1996 on February 15, 2012, 10:22:17 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 15, 2012, 07:56:51 PM
Try this.

Those tumblers Eastwood sell are excellent for cleaning bolts.

the bolts are bare metal clean and right now in my room in a tub bagged and tagged.. i understand i need to plate them... but what all do i need to buy except the tumbler? thanks guys

Look up plating in the yellow pages or google for your city. Most engine bolts are Zinc Phosphate (darker greyish color)....although some can be silver cad and some even silver zinc (also called clear cad and clear zinc). Most charge a fee per finish so give them all you can to plate. The plating is only as good as the condition of your bolts and the prep. That's why I tumble then bead blast before sending. Wire wheeling is usually not a good thing..depends on how aggressive the wire is.

coxie1996

gtx6970

They make stainless engine bolt kits if your not after OE

coxie1996

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 17, 2012, 10:17:31 AM
They make stainless engine bolt kits if your not after OE
yeah i know and i was going to go that route.. but honestly if i can save $ and keep all OEM bolts while having fun cleaning each one  :lol: ill do it.