News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why MP sucks!

Started by Rolling_Thunder, April 26, 2008, 12:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Well...        the stand alone EMS for the 6.1L hemi crate is $3000+          so - why is it a complete Fast XFI system is cheaper ? (not by much) but still...        no wonder people don't swap new hemis into much things...    a $14000 engine swap is not on my list....       So here's an alternative....       I'm going to run my 6.1L Hemi off of a MegaSquirt II computer...    I already had this little bad boy from when i was going to fuel inject my 512...      so i figure it is versatile enough to make run a 6.1L...        just did alot of brain working tonight and got everything in theory figured out....          it just requires me making another little coil driver set up...     considering MP coils are wasted spark I need 8 different coil drivers...      not a huge deal with in the long run it will work.  I will ditch the factory drive by wire throttle body as it is known to lag and with a manual trans it isn't cool....       

So...      end result ?   $450 EMS...    fully tune-able and provisions for N2O, boost, and some other cool little dooo-dads....           :D    Who needs MP anyway ? 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

flyinlow

I was going to put a 5.7 into a 3rd G. charger. Alot of challenges. Vx makes carb/ignition kits for the 5.7 and you can get tranny controllers from TCI. The 5 speed trans with a low first gear and 4 and 5 gear that are overdrive are what makes the new hemii so attracktive. 545 rfe does not fit older cars without magor tunnel mod. Until there are more choices for the new hemi the dollar per HP. stilll favors the 440.  Neat engine though. Still sitting in garage waitijng for project car. With the price of gas its getting more attractive.
Where did you get the injection system?

Rolling_Thunder

the injection system is the stock 6.1L hemi stuff....         the computer is a MegaSquirt II unit purchased from DIY autotune....    a great company (if only MP had this kind of customer service)     I helped sway a 5.7 and 5-speed auto into an A-body and it isnt that bad...   floor definately needs to be cut though - - -   I am going to be running a Tremec TKO behind my Hemi.

Your 5.7 is a good engine...   you can always run the stock EFI system...   it would be a matter of getting the stock computer and making a fuel system...     give you good MPG numbers.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip