News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

too much compression?

Started by metcoll, April 24, 2008, 10:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metcoll

have a 440 bored 030 over with trw six-pack pistons, lunati 240/250 520/547 lift cam with very mild 452 heads, msd complete igntion, rpm manifold, 750 dbl. pump carb, i was always told to have about 15 degrees timing, but myself as well as friend of mine both checked & at 10 degrees after driving about 20 minutes the car barely cranks over ( new battery)...another mechanic friend of mine told us that this motor must have more than 10 to 1 compression..any replies are greatly appreciated....

histoy

Heat from the exhaust system may be affecting the starter motor.   You might want to consider installing a mini starter.

metcoll

i don't think heat is the issue as before i had advanced the timing it was fine........

RD

check your ground to the engine to ensure its clean.

secondly, if your starter is about to go, its about to go.  starter solenoids are affected negatively due to heat.  if it starts fine cold, but after you have ran it for a while and then try to start it again, and the starter is having a helluva time turning it over, its most likely your starter.

lastly, i had a 11.5 to 1 compression 440 that had no issues turning over with a mini-starter.  compression isnt the issue, its sound like you have a starter that is about to go to starter heaven.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

That motor will want more ignition timing than it currently has. If the timing curve is too lazy the engine will run hot and heat soak the starter making restarts difficult unless the engine and starter are allowed to cool down.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

You said the engine cranks fine when cold, but not after its warmed up.
Next time you do a hot engine start,pul lthe coil wire and ground it, then crank the engine. If it cranks normaly the problem is timing. If it still is hard to crank it could be the compression ratio. 
Check starter wire connections (clean and tight). Larger cables with shortest run will help. It does not take much resistence to stop 12 volts.
If the problem is timing related , there are ignition units that retard the timing durring crancking.