News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Do You Dye A Dash Pad

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, April 24, 2008, 10:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

Hi,
  I have a dash pad for my Satellite that I want to change from Black to Green.
I have rattle can of green SEM interior paint but I am not sure how to prep the pad or if the SEM is the way to go. :shruggy: :scratchchin:
Thanks Mopar Pals. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Chatt69chgr

I do think SEM is the way to go.  And SEM makes some products to clean and prep the surface.  You might check them out.  The idea is to get the surface clean and oil free.  Bulldog makes something called adhesion promoter that you spray on before the SEM color coat (but don't use it until you have heard from others on here).  The big problem is silicone fish eyes.  The instant you spray on the SEM, you will know if you are going to get those.  I think I would be careful about cleaning with lacquer thinner.  I would try alcohol.  And spray thin coats and wait a little while between them instead of one thick coat.

bill440rt

Not sure if I would use SEM out of a spray can if you are going green. Black, fine. But green may not match the rest of the interior correctly. Your best bet is to spray a test panel first. If not, you might want to get a pint of PPG or DuPont interior color mixed instead.

You want to CLEAN the pad thoroughly. I would use an interior cleaner first, such as Simple Green or Spray Nine as the initial cleaning. Then, use a standard automotive wax & grease remover, like a paint prep solvent. DuPont's Final Clean is very good. I find lacquer thinner to be very aggressive at times & usually not needed. There are other solvents that work better & are less harsh. Lacquer thinner can also be the cause of fisheyes sometimes.

I've used the Bulldog spray on plastic before, it seemed to work well. They make two different prep sprays, one for plastic & one for vinyl. If you end up using a mixed dye such as from PPG, they also make they're own vinyl prep solvent that you wipe on instead of spray. If you use the SEM spray, then SEM also makes a vinyl prep spray solvent. Whatever dye you choose, try to use their prep solvent to ensure maximum adhesion & compatibility. Bulldog is a universal prep solvent. I'm sure it will work fine. I used it with DuPont's Vinyl color on plastic with no problems.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

nh_mopar_fan

I recommend multiple very light coats. You'll go through more paint but the end result will be better.