News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do any of you use your Charger as your daily driver? why or why not?

Started by elanmars, June 30, 2008, 01:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

Tell greenpeace that throwing away long-lasting metal cars in order to build more flimsy plastic ones is not an improvement on the environmental situation. 

behrooz_roadrunner

This pictures is for that time i was using this wrecked horse.   :pity:
ooo man, this car makes me remember the DRIVER in PS1.   :2thumbs:
Excuse me, my english language isn't good

Manfred318

I drive min as often as I can. I wouldnt call it a daily tho, Ive got the 'ole 85 Ram for that. Mine gets driven more in the fall to spring time frame. Its just too damn hot most days in the summer.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

dodgecharger-fan

RECHRGD

There's different ways of looking at it.  Using one of these classics for a daily driver may be feasible if it is not in pristine condition and gets OK gas mileage.  But, you'll always be at risk of having it ripped off.  People are aware of the value of these things and the more you expose the car to the general population, the chance of theft greatly increases.  I've put over 30K miles on my car in ten years, so it does get driven, but, it's certainly not what I would call a daily driver.  These cars get a lot of attention when nicely restored.  Just park your car in the farthest empty corner of a large parking lot sometime, and then go find a spot to just sit and watch it for awhile.  You'll see people go out of their way to drive by and look at it.  I've seen people take pictures, try to look inside and all sorts things.  So, I try to never leave the car unattended, if at all possible.  As mentioned before, these cars are toys to most of us and are used as such.   IMO a classic Charger deserves to be restored and enjoyed as the piece of automotive history that it is.  Mine gets driven to shows and other cruise type events, or just when I want to get my ego stroked.  If you want a daily driver, I would suggest something like a 1992 Toyota.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Mike DC

I think a lot of the hobby takes these things too seriously.  The rare cars and the survivors are a different case, but a regular 318-VIN Charger that's had 2/3rds of it sheetmetal replaced already?  What's really at so much risk?   

Yeah, you might have $30,000 invested in that Charger . . . but you also paid $30,000 for the modern pickup that you tow it with, and you don't exactly baby the pickup.  The dollars aren't worth more just because the car is older. 

I know the parts are very hard to find, but the repro industry is sewing that problem up in a big hurry.  And most of the uber-rare parts aren't really necessary for a cruiser. 

1969chargerrtse

My newest thing is I get up at 6:00am and head out the door and take it to Dunkin Donuts.  Everyday I meet new people and have a good time talking about cars and these 69 Chargers.  I head home by 6:50ish and jump in the truck for work.  I do cruise nights and run errands in it.  It's just to beautiful to leave in the garage.

:drive:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

yeahitsgotahemi!

I drove my 65 mustang to school and work everday in highschool. Although I enjoyed it, it was alot of hassel. I replaced the starter on the side of the freeway and another time I had to make a cotter pin out of a hex tool when the motor mount busted and my clutch linkage fell apart. Having a project car as a daily driver is a frustration. There's nothing crappier than trying to fix or repair your old ride, and then the inevitable trip to the parts store comes up and the only car you have to drive there with is the one your working on. Not only that something ALWAYS needs to be fixed, or upgraded, or whatever, and the car never gets done as well or as fast as you'd like because you have to drive it everyday. Point is, enjoy your classic car, and abuse your later model daily driver, becuase driving a classic everyday is abusive, especially if it needs work. (not to mention the cost of gas) :Twocents: 
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

mikesbbody

Mines not a DD for a number of reasons 1. i couldnt afford the gas (440) 2. the risk of a accident or some asshole messing with it goes up if its a DD 3. its driven on nice days only it never goes out in the rain if possible 4. (most important) i dont think id enjoy it as much if i drove it everyday having said all that, it does gets driven i cant understand having a car thats not driven  :shruggy:

Red Ram

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 02, 2008, 11:57:35 AM
There's different ways of looking at it.  Using one of these classics for a daily driver may be feasible if it is not in pristine condition and gets OK gas mileage.  But, you'll always be at risk of having it ripped off.  People are aware of the value of these things and the more you expose the car to the general population, the chance of theft greatly increases.  I've put over 30K miles on my car in ten years, so it does get driven, but, it's certainly not what I would call a daily driver.  These cars get a lot of attention when nicely restored.  Just park your car in the farthest empty corner of a large parking lot sometime, and then go find a spot to just sit and watch it for awhile.  You'll see people go out of their way to drive by and look at it.  I've seen people take pictures, try to look inside and all sorts things.  So, I try to never leave the car unattended, if at all possible.  As mentioned before, these cars are toys to most of us and are used as such.   IMO a classic Charger deserves to be restored and enjoyed as the piece of automotive history that it is.  Mine gets driven to shows and other cruise type events, or just when I want to get my ego stroked.  If you want a daily driver, I would suggest something like a 1992 Toyota.  Bob

So you're keeping your car super pristine so that when you die someone will have an awesome Charger. Drive it more! You only live once! If something breaks or gets damaged, fix it! Gas mileage?! Sheeesh
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

RECHRGD

Quote from: Red Ram on July 03, 2008, 02:25:28 AM

So you're keeping your car super pristine so that when you die someone will have an awesome Charger. Drive it more! You only live once! If something breaks or gets damaged, fix it! Gas mileage?! Sheeesh

So 30,000 miles isn't driving it enough?? ::) ::)
13.53 @ 105.32

1969chargerrtse

:iagree:   Yep, that's another way of looking at it.  I'm with you.  I use it here and there and it's never out of my site except for a fast run in a food store and even then it's off to the side.  I never use 2 spots, I just move it over to one side far away from the action.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

471_Magnum

My commute is only eight miles each way, and the parking lot here at work is reasonably secure. Heck, I don't even lock the doors.

I drove the Charger A LOT. It got me to work at least once or twice a week year round as long as there wasn't salt on the road.

I haven't been drivng the GTX near as much, but that is mostly due to fuel costs, as well as some mechanical issues. Now that I've worked out most all of the bugs, I have been driving it a lot more, but not enough that I've had to fill the tank in the last couple of weeks. I think the next fill-up will be sobering to the point it will be making fewer appearance in the parking lot at work. As we get deeper into the summer months, the allure of the air conditioned car parked next to it in my garage will also come into play.

Neither car was so prestine that the chance of a bird crapping on it scared me, or that a door ding would send me over the edge.

The other concern is insurance. I use specialty vehicle insurance, and daily driver usage is frowned upon by Hagerty.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

GL0169

i have driven my 69 dodge charger since i bought it in 1987 -thats 21 years now- if i die tommorrow i will die a happy man - sure it has been scratched - hit - and everthing else - but i fix it - and i dont see me driving any thing else