News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone tried out craigslist to sell instead of Ebay?

Started by bull, October 13, 2005, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering. This site seems to be picking up some steam because it's free. I don't know what kind of protection they can offer but Ebay's is pretty lame anyway according to what I read here.

http://www.craigslist.org/

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

nh_mopar_fan

I've bought and sold some stuff on there.

I got my current commuter vehicle, 2002 Sebring ragtop with 46K off craigslist for $8500.

No protections whatsoever on there though.

Steve P.

Looks like it's 90% California stuff there... I wish we had something like that in Florida...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

nh_mopar_fan

Steve P.

Thank's NH. I didn't scroll to the side the first time. I'll check it out.... Tanks again.............
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

:lol: About 5 1/2 years ago I started this thread asking if anyone had heard of craigslist. Well, have you? Lol.

I used to buy and sell stuff all the time on there, being in the bay area helps I think as the selection is better. I think it's far superior to purchase then ebay as everything is reasonably local so you can actually stop in and see before you buy, and you don't have the last second bidders.

I got my daily driver (fuel guzzler) 1977 F150 4x4 from Craigslist DIRT CHEAP....  

bill440rt

I've sold lots of things on Craigslist, even bought a few. Best thing about it is that it's mostly local buyers. Don't have to deal with the hassle of stupid eBay & Paypal fees.
It's good for general items, but for something unique I've found eBay is better.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

Just be sure to bring some back-up when you go look at something. And if its $$ bring some real back-up. :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

TruckDriver

I've sold a few things there. Mostly car parts and computer stuff. More then anything, I hate all the spam emails you get when you list.  :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

chargergirl

I have bought and sold stuff on craigslist. Mark the spam people as that on gmail account and never have to deal with them again. Meet folks in a central area when possible; smaller parts and such. It's a great venue just as always, buyer/seller beware. Lot's of folks put pics up of what they are selling and are on the up and up...some are just strange! We actually post our rentals and real estate on that site and get an amazing amount of phone calls.
Trust your Woobie!

I've never had any spam from Craiglist... Only a few of typical shipping agent scam attempts while selling a car. I've sold two cars in under a week with CL... an 84 T-bird Elan in 3 days and a 91 Lincoln LSC in a week (bought the LSC from craiglist).

I wish I kept the T-bird though (one of the best cars I've owned).... And funny enough I bought the LSC to put the HO 5.0 into the Tbird, but the neighbors complained I had too many cars and the T-bird sold before I had a chance to cool off and change my mind.....  :bawling:

PocketThunder

Craigslist is the only place i shop now.  Just bought a used Dyson vacuum cleaner off CL and its in sweet shape!  Save myself $450...   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69charger440

I love craigslist!! I bought a 440 six pack setup for 500 buck, and bought a brand new 500 stroker with edelbrock heads for 1500..  I always do go when I go on craigslist.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

nvrbdn

everything ive needed to get rid of has gone to craigs list. get calls fast and the stuff sells fast. just bought a 2009 camper shell for my small truck on craigs list for 150.00 it didnt have a scratch on it. great place to shop and sell.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Brock Samson

It was the late '90s when cl started here, a guy in the office sent out an office e-mail about this useful local site, there were just a dozen catagories mostly cars, applancies, service, and furnature and i bought a coffee table for $30.oo which is right over there...  =>   No personals back then. Nope.

Now?. oh Gawd!  :eek2: :shruggy:  :lol:

There was something else around about that time that caught my attention called "google" I thought of buying in when they did their IPO, instead i finished up the Charger...   :shruggy:   :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist

Anyone ever do or even remember the Craiglist send a message into space or whatever it was?

Hell, I can't even remember.... 

hemi68charger

They both have their pro's and con's....
I like using craigslist initially. If I can sell the parts locally for the same price and not have to worry about it, the whole process is easier (don't have to worry about shipping). I've sold intakes and heads via my local Houston craigslist...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bull

I know craigslist has all but decimated classified businesses like Auto Trader and Nickle Ads and has put a serious dent in the amount of revenue newspapers used to pull in.

Brock Samson

The Circ. of my old paper went from 550K plus in '97 to 225K this Yr. the want ads used to be an entire section 7-10 pages, now it's maybe two. Papers made their $ from Adverts. But now the Biz. Model has them making Money from Subscriptions.. with those numbers you can see why they laid off/forced out 3/4 of the work force. me included.

bull

Yup, and while CL is beating up on the classified revenue the internet in general is beating up on the news section. Small, local papers will probably be able to survive better than the big papers but the internet has definitely caused the end of newspapers as we know them.

Brock Lee

I have bought and sold a few things on it (just scored a key cutting machine last night). In terms of selling, I have had a few headaches with it. Some people think they can "play the game" and when you attempt to walk, they get insulted you wont "play along". If I have to drive and meet someone and i listed the item at my best price, take a hint after 5 minutes you aren't going to beat me down and put up or shut up. It is hard for some to grasp that. There have been a few weirdos too that assumed they were buying my friendship with their purchase. On top of that, I think the money is not as good as ebay. But no shipping and cash is a huge plus.

1969chargerrtse

I have a little.  Great site.  I use the free section all the time.  My wife wanted a tread Mill, I found a free one within a week.  I lost 3 others before I was fast enough to get mine.  I just kept refreshing the page until I found one.  Now it sits all folded up doing nothing in my bedroom.  :P The guy said as he was talking to me, emails were flying in.  On the flip side why throw out stuff others can use?  Free t.v's are always listed.  Many 54" projection TV's get listed.  Here's our free New Haven Ct link.  Wanna really have fun go on the personals, OMG.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/zip/

Here's a neat FREE!! 42" t.v listed right now.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

nvrbdn

yea i got a bike listed right now. pass on overtime tonight to show it to him. he tried to beat me down last night on the phone and he looks at the bike for an hour then tells his friend that he better ask his G.F. first and will call me later :brickwall: i was only asking 500.00 oh well whatever.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Brock Samson

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 31, 2011, 06:07:17 PM
 Here's our free New Haven Ct link.  Wanna really have fun go on the personals, OMG.

I dunno if you can beat the SF "personals"...  :eek2:  :lol:  :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 31, 2011, 07:25:11 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 31, 2011, 06:07:17 PM
 Here's our free New Haven Ct link.  Wanna really have fun go on the personals, OMG.

I dunno if you can beat the SF "personals"...  :eek2:  :lol:  :D
Yeah I bet you're right about that.  :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WINGMAN

I love craigslist  but i have put my Daytona on there two times and the listing was removed in no time at all, I guess they think if you list a car for over 100 K it is not a real deal.  :flame:  I guess i will keep it. :brickwall:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

General_01

I like it because it's local and I can go look at it.

I have used it once to sell. I listed my GL replica on it. Had some tire kickers. It actually sold to a guy who saw it while driving by the house. He never saw the ad.

I just used it recently to buy my motorcycle.

Now I am watching for a softball pitching machine for my daughter.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

1969chargerrtse

I have to add there are lots of scams on Craig list also.  I just went to the free section and someone posted about the Free stroller ad is a scam.  They look for email address and phone numbers.
Also my buddy was selling a snow blower and some other guy selling his kept flagging my buddies so it kept getting removed.  Not a great site.

Brock Samson

that's probably why my ads. got removed... cl and the puter,..  :scratchchin:  oK the "INTERNETS" used to be a kind of rarified atmosphere where mostly older Biz guys had 'em but they hadn't trickeled down to the Meth Generation,now,.. any asshat can go into a Public Lib. to work a scam and guys in Lackerslavonia and Nigerina are running game claiming to be from the IRS or Number 10 Downing street...

HITMAN 149

yes i have bought & sold many things through craigslist!!! NEVER bought anything without taking a ride in person to scope out the item first though!!! the prob w/ selling stuff is you get all sorts of  emails & calls with dopey questions and then all the plans you break or alter to be home for people that never show up after telling you they are coming!!! but i guess overall i've really got no complaints, and yes there is NO buyer/seller protection like ebay proclaims to have?!?!?
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

stripedelete

I've purchased a couple of vehicles out-of-state off Craigslist.   What I have found interesting is that even though you tell the seller someone local will inspect it and pay in cash, they still get wigged-out.

I stole an Isuzu NPR Diesel that was choking up in Denver. After bringing it back to sea level and I can still double my money any day of the week.  I believe Craigslist found out I made money and that's why they shut down Craiglook. :brickwall:

nvrbdn

i just sold an item on ebay for 550.00  ebay charged me 49.50 for selling the item. what a ripoff. no more large items for me on ebay. they hit me for the same price you can sell a car for.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

MoparManJim

elitecustombody

Once in a while there are great deals ,I've sold and bought tools,cars,trucks and parts on there,no fees

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jb666

I have sold a boat load of stuff on Craigslist over the years... The only thing I've found is that there are more scammers out there then regular people..

So now I put a disclaimer at the bottom of ALL of my ads...  And I run 1/2 dozen ads per week..

NO TRADES - I'm not interested in your car, bike, shed, mother in law, neighbor's dog or your rare coin set. I don't care if you're in the middle of the Red Sea and want to send your courier by with $1500 MORE than I'm asking, I'm not interested. If you can't come meet me WITH CASH, don't bother replying. I will not ship to England , even if you are a sick old man and my item is your "dying wish". Wheel yourself in the closet and finish yourself off, because this deal isn't happening.  SCAMMERS, people who want things for 1/2 of what I'm selling them for and those that just want to talk need not apply.

Seems to work.

squeakfinder

Quote from: stripedelete on April 02, 2011, 08:58:25 AM
I've purchased a couple of vehicles out-of-state off Craigslist.   What I have found interesting is that even though you tell the seller someone local will inspect it and pay in cash, they still get wigged-out.

I stole an Isuzu NPR Diesel that was choking up in Denver. After bringing it back to sea level and I can still double my money any day of the week.  I believe Craigslist found out I made money and that's why they shut down Craiglook. :brickwall:

So your the one. Craiglook worked real well. But theres other search engines out there. I've been using his one lately.

http://www.allofcraigs.com/
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

ChgrSteve67

Lots of people that call and say I want it then the excuses of why they cant make it out. Hold it for me and I will come get it in a few days. Can you do this, can you take more picturs of it at thes angle or that angle.

Lots of jokers if you can put up with it.

I will also sugest you don't have these people come to your house if you can help it.

I think some people just like the game of talking you down to see how low they can talk you down then disapear with no intentions to ever buy the item. Best to tell them up front that the price is firm. If you want it come get it.

Oh and there is the can you meet me half way people. I'm sure most of these people live where they tell you half way is for them.

It works but definately not like ebay
-Steve

Brock Samson

my recent exp. selling the R/V is that I've had 11 of 13 people who respond by e-mail ask my phone number. i gave it out to 9 and none have called...

ChgrSteve67

If they don't give me thier number I don't even respond

I put it in my listing
Provide me a number so I can call you or I will not respond to your inquery.

Old Moparz

My wife & I just listed 4 things on Craigslist last week & sold 2 of them, a small kid sized pool with filter & a pick up truck ladder rack. I'd have sold the 3rd item, a Coronet tail panel, if I wanted to wrap, package & ship it, but I am too busy right now to deal with an oversized item. The people who wanted what we did sell were decent people & not time wasters. I even decided to give the guy who bought my ladder rack an extra box of new stainless nuts, bolts & washers that I had because of it.

Still can't get rid of a brand new, $135 exerciser-clothing rack for $20.   :smilielol:

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

adauto

We sell stuff on it weekly, mostly tires and accessory parts (sunvisors/bedliners/hitches). Its nice cause its free BUT there's always the BS factor! Scammers, cryers, whiners and the people that want things for free ( ya I know your asking $125 but can you do $20 for me??) R.U.F.K.M???  :slap:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Steve P.

I have done very well both buying and selling on CL. Including my boat.. lol.. What I was buying and selling has pretty much dried up around here, but I still look now and then hoping for it to pick back up. Ebay was always a bigger hassle for me. I would much rather deal with locals than sending anything. Too many things can happen while on rout including it never showing up... Also buying on Ebay sucked for me. I got rocked a few times and had to fight and wait to get my money back. If I look at someones goods in person and buy it, well the deal is done. No banking. No credit cards or checks or fees. If I don't like what I see or think it is worth less, I pass or deal. Plus I get it when I pay. No waiting.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

flyinlow

I use C.L.  Bought my Charger on it. Just be carefull lots of scammers, see below.

I am very interested in your item. Price is acceptable. ($150) Will not be able to attend the viewing.(WTF?) I cannot pick up in person ,but movers will be transporting some of my property near you. I will Fed Ex a money order for the cost of your item, plus $100 for you troubles,please send me a Walmart Money order for the difference and phone me with the M.O. # at Ph. xxx-555-1212. Your honesty and transparency are appreciated.

Habieb

I had them Fex Ex the fake M.O. ,just to have some fun and run up their cost. It was a for $3400. Emailed them " nice try "  Never heard from them again.

A383Wing

Quote from: jb666 on April 10, 2011, 12:50:00 PM

So now I put a disclaimer at the bottom of ALL of my ads...  And I run 1/2 dozen ads per week..

NO TRADES - I'm not interested in your car, bike, shed, mother in law, neighbor's dog or your rare coin set. I don't care if you're in the middle of the Red Sea and want to send your courier by with $1500 MORE than I'm asking, I'm not interested. If you can't come meet me WITH CASH, don't bother replying. I will not ship to England , even if you are a sick old man and my item is your "dying wish". Wheel yourself in the closet and finish yourself off, because this deal isn't happening.  SCAMMERS, people who want things for 1/2 of what I'm selling them for and those that just want to talk need not apply.

Seems to work.

I like that...I may have to steal it and try it.....Craigslist is a poor mans Ebay....lots of low-lifes and scammers on there....I ain't been burned yet....but I am being careful......

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: flyinlow on April 17, 2011, 10:14:30 PM

I had them Fex Ex the fake M.O. ,just to have some fun and run up their cost. It was a for $3400. Emailed them " nice try "  Never heard from them again.

Thats great.
I would frame the fake M.O. and put it up on the wall.

Steve P.

That falls right in with the: We will send you a check for a bazzillian dollars in return for your 1500 because we cannot get into that bank for some BS reason....  :brickwall:

The sad thing is that they only continue to do this crap because some fools fall for it..  :slap:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

chargergirl

We advertise our rentals on CL and every once in a while they are kited...great house we want you to live there send the money to us in Spain, at least that was the last one. They have the owners name and sometimes it's really hard to convince folks...so I have it down to a science...how did YOU find out who the owner is...same way they did. There is no arguement. On the other hand you have many that will flag the ad and call you for the real deal...I love them! So far our sales haven't been grabbed...never know...could act like it's owner financed.
Trust your Woobie!

Steve P.

Just sold a Kia Sportage with the help of Craigslist this morning.. 2nd person to look at it dropped the bills....   :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida