News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can I preserve my autograph of "the king"?

Started by 70Sbird, April 22, 2008, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Hello everyone,
I had an opportunity to get the King's autograph on my dash panel above my glove box door.
1970 Ralley dash with the "pebble" grain plastic, cleaned first with brake parts cleaner then signed with a silver sharpie.
I would like to coat the part with something to preserve the signature before I put it back in, but I'm not sure what to use. I've been told to use everything from matte finish clear, to hairspray to clear fingernail polish.
So far the clear seems most appealing to me but I'm worried the clear might break down or run the silver writing.
Any suggestions?

:icon_smile_question:

Scott Faulkner

69*F5*SE

So far I think you have some good examples of what to do (other than the nail polish).  Matte clear seams like a good method.   :shruggy:

B5 Charger

I would use the matte clear myself.  Start off with a couple dry coates that way the signature won't run then go for your finish coat after your sure the signature is sealed.   :Twocents:

Mike DC

Here's the best preservation option, although it's definitely "cheating" --

Get another plastic dash piece just like it and make a perfect duplicate for installation in the car.  Keep the original one at home.

IowaCharger69

Get a silver sharpie. Do your own sig. let it dry. Then try a couple options. MINUS the nail polish one. Matte finishing products that you can get at art stores works very well to preserve my artwork.

Chatt69chgr

Could you tell us a little more about how you got your autograph.  Did you meet Richard at a race or something?

I would definitely test whatever preservation method you try on a dummy part first.  That way, you will be absolutely sure that you won't mess up the original.  I agree that the best way is to just get another bezel for your car and put that signed one in a shadow box and hang on the wall.  If you put it in the car, every person that sits in the passenger seat will say, wow, is that autograph real and then reach over and rub it.   

68chrgrwife

I am pretty sure that the hairspray one won't work either...In fact I think it would make the marker run.....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

70Sbird

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 22, 2008, 01:24:37 PM
Could you tell us a little more about how you got your autograph.  Did you meet Richard at a race or something?

I would definitely test whatever preservation method you try on a dummy part first.  That way, you will be absolutely sure that you won't mess up the original.  I agree that the best way is to just get another bezel for your car and put that signed one in a shadow box and hang on the wall.  If you put it in the car, every person that sits in the passenger seat will say, wow, is that autograph real and then reach over and rub it.   

That is exactly why I want to coat it with something. I'm not too worried about myself scrubbing it off, just other people.

I got the autograph at ConExpo (large trade show in Las Vegas)  last month. The company I work for had a large booth there and had the King Himself giving away an Orange County chopper that we had donated to the Petty's Victory Junction Gang camp. I got the autograph just before the "public" lined up for them.
I already have another autograph item from him on the wall, this part will definately be going back into the 'Bird

Scott Faulkner

Magnumcharger

Go to an Artist's supply store. Find a spray product called "Art Fixative".
It is the very best thing to use on your item.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=8&productid=1820&content=product_details
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Mopar440+6

I would use the matte clear versus an art preservative. Considering that this piece will be in the car you need something that will withstand the elements (light, heat, etc) and most art preservatives are meant to coat paper and be hung on a wall....
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

64cubed

Sort of related to this topic. I have a good friend of mine that has been a Petty fanatic all his life.
He has a met him twice the second time Petty actually made them stop the RV he was in as they were leaving the track cause he saw my friend and remembered him. My friend was hoping to see him a second time so he would sign the picture that he had taken of Petty leaning against his RoadRunner. My buddy had it blown up almost poster size and thats when he stopped the RV and signed it for him.Very cool picture.  :cheers:

Neal_J

Go to the craft store and get matte clear spray paint.  Rattle can 3-4 very thin coats and let it dry.  You're done.

I did this to seal some Wacky Packages stickers to a large tool box.   Worked great.

Neal

JimShine

Be aware that most clearcoats will yellow over time. Also, if the clear you choose doesn't like the paint that is on it, it can crinkle, and worst case peel after a few years (with your signature). Silver sharpies are silver paint. It should be good as is so long as it isn't touched. I have seen dash pads in General lee clones with decade old autographs that look great, but are not cleaned or touched. But I think MikeD has the best idea. Put a new bezel in the car (I would just stick with plain) and save the autographed one at home.

pettyfan43

I got experience with this! Use some Krylon MATTE Clear, or even semi gloss (Which might look better on there than matte).

Put about 3 really LIGHT coats on it and let it dry good, then give it an EVEN coat and you never have to worry about it again (I have a 69 Charger console autographed by Bobby Allison, plus several items by the King!) The flat/Satin clear is THE TICKET.

plum500

I'm not sure about the matte finish...dunno. I think if I were going to spray something it would be a few really light coats of something glossy - thinned as all get out.

Nail polish...horrible stuff - waaay to goopy. The hairspray trick works on pencil/charcoal drawings and the like - to prevent smudges, but I would say it wouldn't do much here. Not a permanent thing that's for sure, and I'd worry about a single, and repeated application only damaging the sig.

What about a piece of (satin maybe) 1/8" plexi cut to the same shape. Fix it to the dash with a few small circles of velcro. Take it off to polish (the plexi) it up, and give the sig a dry dusting. Then, you won't have to worry about applying anything - it's durability, or whether it will screw up the sig from the start. If the velcro ever fails - easy to replace. If the plexi gets worn - easy to replace. Sig stays mint.

:Twocents: