News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about engine gaskets for my 360?

Started by Mo Power, April 21, 2008, 10:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

Ok well I bought this 360 thats been rebuilt about 7 years ago.  He bored it over and shaved the heads giving more then what he wanted. I talked to a guy who said it needs thicker head gaskets since it being high compression. He said when he tested it for my cousin who rebuilt it it had around 11 or 12 to 1 compression. So he recommends thicker head gaskets or I'll always have a few problems going with thin ones. But I was wondering if he's right and if he is what kind of head gaskets I need. Need some help would like to put it in my Roadrunner sometime soon. Also I need intake manifold gasket for an Edelbrock RPM performer and can I just get it from Edelbrock? Or I can just use factory gaskets for the intake?
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

terrible one

It is true that thicker headgaskets would lower your compression ratio, but not to the extent that you could get from 12:1 to 10:1 or below (generally considered about the max for pump gas).

Plumcrazy

Any intake gasket for a 340/360 will work just fine.

If that engine has iron heads, 11 or 12 to 1 compression will be too high for pump gas.  Since you have to pull the heads anyway, I would do that first and do some measuring to find out how much compression you are going to have with whatever headgasket you are thinking about using.
You're also going to need to know how thick the headgaskets that are on the engine right now are.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.