News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

496 stroker project begins

Started by General_01, April 19, 2008, 08:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runner

that should be a really fun car to drive,  lloks nice.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

General_01

Thanks Runner.

I just wanted to put a cap on this thread for now.

I put plug wires(not coil) on the car and I wanted to see if the car would turn over. I have a dome light but nothing when I turn the key. I have to go thru the the wireing to find out if something is wrong. It is getting cold and I have no heat in the garage, so I ordered up my dollies so I can push the car over to the other side of the garage for the winter. I will pick this thread up in the Spring. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and support. Can't wait to show a vid of the car running to you guys next year.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Well, the project is back underway. Yesterday my Uncle, cousin, and I pulled the engine and then built a makeshift sandblasting area by hanging tarps and plastic. Today I started blasting the engine bay again. My cousin has a bigger compressor and I am making big strides. My little compressor in my garage just wasn't big enough to handle this job.

No pics yet. My cousin took some, but hasn't sent them to me yet. I will be out there next weekend and also have the week of 25th-29th off. Hopefully in two weeks the bay will be painted and the motor will be in. The car won't be ready by Mopars in the Park unfortunately, but I will make it there with Paul and the guys.
496 stroker
4-speed

1970Moparmann

Keep it going and you'll be enjoying the car before you know... :2thumbs: You did it right with doing the engine compartment again. You'll be much happier.. :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

General_01

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 17, 2009, 08:54:03 PM
Keep it going and you'll be enjoying the car before you know... :2thumbs: You did it right with doing the engine compartment again. You'll be much happier.. :cheers:

I did the engine bay in a big hurry last fall, and it didn't turn out that great. It looks way better in the pics then in person. All winter that was all I could think about, so I decided to pull the engine and do it again. I am thinking that maybe by mid to late-June the car will be on the road. I will post pics as I go. Thanks for the encouragement. :icon_smile_big:
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Well, made some more headway this week. Not as much as I planned to get done, but at least I am going in the right direction. Here are some pics. The first pic is the bubble we put up to try and contain the sand. The second is a pic of the air exchanger my cousin set up to keep it breathable in the bubble.

496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Here is how far I am. I think I am about done blasting. Now I am sanding down the spots where the paint meets metal to smooth it out. Hopefully by the weekend of June 6th-7th I will be painting the engine bay.

496 stroker
4-speed

Charger-Bodie

You've come this far , Keep blasting!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

General_01

Got it painted today. My cousin painted it using his gravity feed HVLP gun. Turned out pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.

496 stroker
4-speed

Dodgecharger74

Looks great I will be doing mine in near future
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

General_01

Well, the car has finally moved under it's own power. Took it for a run around the block last weekend and found some more bugs. We need to adjust the clutch a little more, change out the radiator because we found a small leak, put in another oil pressure sending unit for the stock gauge. We may also have to replace the electric fuel pump. The gauge only shows 3 psi, but we are going to replace the gauge first to see if the gauge is wrong. As you can see, I need to get used to the new McCleod Street Twin.  :brickwall: It sure grabs great though.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/General_01/?action=view&current=MVI_3197.flv
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Congrats on getting it up and running.  :2thumbs:

The 496 will really test the limits of your new clutch.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

General_01

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Went to the race shop and got a Northern aluminum radiator. My cousin and I installed it today. No leaks and it seems to cool fine. We need to do a bit more work boxing it in and maybe putting a shroud on. The clutch is adjusted now works great. I took the car on a 2-3 mile run and everything went well. Ran at about 185-190, but it was a only about 80 degrees here today and I was on highway roads, not in stop and go traffic.

I am just so psyched to finally be to this point. I am going to a little get-together tomorrow with some local Charger guys with the car. I will post some pics of the work later. I forgot my camera. :brickwall: My cousin should be sending me pics he took with his camera. I gave him a link to this site and this thread, so he might post them himself.

YES!!!! I got to drive my charger today!!!!!!!
496 stroker
4-speed

c00nhunterjoe

cool, how does that power feel????

General_01

I used to have a 440 in this car. It was not stock and I had a Torker II high rise intake and a Carter 750 carb on it with headers. That thing was fun to drive. This new motor is quite the step up from that. Holy cow!!! I am still breaking in the new motor so I have not floored this thing and I can tell the power is just going to be awesome. Today I am all smiles.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Pics of the radiator installed and the new March pulley set.

496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Today I went out and my cousin and I fixed the leaking fuel line. The hose connecting the sending unit to the fuel line was dry rotted and fuel was leaking from a tear in the hose. We replaced the hose and this also solved the fuel pressure problem. I only had about 3 psi on the gauge before the swap. Now it shows 6+ constant. I am sure air was getting in the old line and not allowing the pressure to build. We also moved the fabricated radiator brackets to the front side of the radiator support, making the radiator stand straight up and down. Then we went around and double checked the plug wires to make sure they were all the way on. We also took a ball peen hammer to the air cleaner. The base was resting on the float adjustment screws and not sitting all the way down on the carb. A couple dings with the hammer and the air cleaner fits perfect. Then we had to adjust the alternator. The pulley is sitting out just a smidge too far and the belt squeals if you rap the throttle. It can be fixed. I just have to take some material off the end of the back spacer so the alternator can bet set back a little. Here are a few vids of the car we took today.

496 stroker
4-speed

Frd Frlne

Here's the other car we work on.

I Don't care about make they are all nice to look at but a pain in the ars to work on.

dstryr

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

firefighter3931

Nice vids....she sounds healthy.  :2thumbs:

Shouldn't be too long now.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Frd Frlne

Some more pics of the"other car".  The first pic of course the interior before Buckets out of a 90's Fox Body Mustang.  The second is a custom fan and shroud assembly using the stock shroud.  Third is how the assembly fits in the engine bay, and last but not least the clearance between fan and water pump pulley, hope it holds.
I Don't care about make they are all nice to look at but a pain in the ars to work on.

Frd Frlne

General_01

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 30, 2009, 06:40:21 PM
Nice vids....she sounds healthy.  :2thumbs:

Shouldn't be too long now.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Found out today that my fuel line fix wasn't quite a fix. The hose had a bend in it that would collapse and prevent fuel from being pumped to the carb. The car would run until the carb ran out of fuel. :smilielol: I fixed the bend in the hose and and now the fuel pressure is about 7psi and it doesn't run out of gas. I have to change the voltage regulator because the alternator gauge is pegged at Charge all the time now. I got back from a run and the regulator is hotter than heck to the touch. IT was a great run. I will post pics tomorrow, but my day was made because after we got it running I took my Dad on a 10-15 mile cruise in the car. He is 74 and has been waiting for me to get the car done so he could get a ride. Mission accomplished. :2thumbs:
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Quote from: Frd Frlne on August 30, 2009, 05:20:59 PM
Her's the other car we work on.

Hey Heath. Glad you made it. Guys, this is my cousin who helps me with everything on my car. That is his nice 1967 Ford Fairlane 500. We have some projects planned for his car, but he has been nice enough to put his car on the backburner to help me with mine this summer. Thanks Heath. :2thumbs:
496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

Very cool, on all accounts...  :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida