News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RE: Inspection for classic car

Started by sixpack_sid, April 19, 2008, 07:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

Hi,
I recently got classic plates for my '73 Charger. I live in PA (relevant??) and the inspection sticker is dated for 2007. I understand that after you get classic plates, you don't need to get inspections anymore. Do I remove the sticker?
Thanks
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sid, this question would be more accurately answered by your states local DMV  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

71ChallengeHer

As far as I know in PA. You still have to have the car inspected once a year with Classic tags. It will be emissions exempt. With Antique tags , you don't have to get it inspected. You can check in cause PA changed it since I use to work at the garage.

LeeBoy

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on April 19, 2008, 08:22:11 PM
As far as I know in PA. You still have to have the car inspected once a year with Classic tags. It will be emissions exempt. With Antique tags , you don't have to get it inspected. You can check in cause PA changed it since I use to work at the garage.
Your correct. I have antique plates and no inspection or registration anymore in PA. Classic tags still have inspections. Check it out here. http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

JimsSE

FYI - for PA anyway, there is no yearly mileage limitation on an Antique Vehicle like a lot of people think.  Also, rumor has it you can't drive antiques after dark too.  In the first case, it says you can't drive an Antique registerred car for DAILY USE.  In the later, it states you can't drive the car after sunset if you don't have PROPER LIGHTING.

I have both mine "Antique'd" and would recommend it to anyone that has a PA registerred car over 25 years of age.  No inspection and no registration!

Just my $.02 for the Pennsylvania contingent.

Jim

Unrestored '73 Charger SE   

'79 Magnum GT
http://www.geocities.com/jimsmopars2003/

sixpack_sid

Quote from: LeeBoy on April 19, 2008, 09:30:27 PM
Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on April 19, 2008, 08:22:11 PM
Your correct. I have antique plates and no inspection or registration anymore in PA. Classic tags still have inspections. Check it out here. http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf

:flame: S*%T!! That sucks! My inspection guy told me last year if I got classic plates I wouldn't need inspections anymore. I should have gotten ANTIQUE plates! With 6 cars, it's kind of hard to keep up with inspections every year!!  :RantExplode:
Thanks for letting me know! AS ALWAYS, YOU GUYS ROCK! :2thumbs:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

hemihead

If I remember right , to get Antique plates you have to send pictures in and you can't have any aftermarket parts on it ( like Carb, Valve covers, Air Cleaner, Wheels , etc. ) . It all has to be stock or available as an option . I 'm not positive so check into that first .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: hemihead on April 20, 2008, 12:17:34 PM
If I remember right , to get Antique plates you have to send pictures in and you can't have any aftermarket parts on it ( like Carb, Valve covers, Air Cleaner, Wheels , etc. ) . It all has to be stock or available as an option . I 'm not positive so check into that first .
You do have to send in pics for antique and classic tags. Both sides , front and back of the car. You don't send in pics of the motor. But for antique tags you can't have aftermarket wheels on (in the pictures you send in) ;)

hemihead

I thought I remembered something like that from inspection class.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

LeeBoy

You do have to send in pics for antique and classic tags. Both sides , front and back of the car. You don't send in pics of the motor. But for antique tags you can't have aftermarket wheels on (in the pictures you send in) ;)
:iagree: I sent in pics of my Satellite as stated above. The wheels are 15x7 ralleys so they appear stock enough the rest of the mods that you have don't matter as long as they can't be seen in the pics. I had no problems getting the antique plate. No more inspection, no more registration, just cost me $100 a year for full coverage insurance.  :2thumbs:
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

hutch

I dont think we have a diff between classic vs antique tags in Virginia.  I have a set of orginial 1973 plates on my 73 and I dont have to have an inspection or have to pay taxes on my car at all. Its just restricted to driving to and from shows, clubs or for testing after repairs x number of miles from my home.

The not having to pay taxes was my big draw.  I hate taxes.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Plumcrazy

I've been inspecting cars in Pa for 30 years, you do need to inspect a car with classic plates.

You should have gotten an antique plate.  :scratchchin:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.