News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a Musclecar in a corn field, to bad it's not a Mopar though.

Started by TruckDriver, April 19, 2008, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I was out goofing around in my truck in the nice weather we had here today. Sitting at one of the stop signs in town here, me and my son noticed a old car sitting in the field that we don't remember seeing there, since we moved into town. So of course, we checked it out. A '67 Chevelle SS. It is a 4spd car too. But it would need a ton of work to bring back. The frame looked okay, but everything else is toast. :P

You guys from Wisconsin might notice that highway in the first picture. That's highway 41 by Lomira near where I live.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

More of the car, one of my Dakota to keep it a little Moparish :D
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

derailed

Wow, to bad shes rusted to death. Id be willing to bet somone pics it up for the vin tags someday and does a rebody.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

69*F5*SE

Kevin68N71

The other day I was looking at my friend's new motorhome, which is in a storage lot right next to an impound lot.  There was a GTO there that looks like it had been there for years.  Four flat tires.  Of course, I get all excited--as if I have any more room as it is.  But I took a closer look at it, the trunk lid is so rusted that the lip of the trunk is just a ragged rusty edge, the drivers door is 1/4 open and obviously the interior more than ruined, and big rust spots on it.  It might be worthy to save, just not by me.

Shame what happens to these cars.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

nakita7

Hey wait a minute, I thought 68 Chargers were the first to have recessed back windows... :D

myk

1969chargerrtse

Black back panel, raised hood.  SS 396, sweet car when it was shiny.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger_Fan

"Here I sit on Highway 41...where on a quiet night, you can hear Chebbies rust" :rock:  hehe

Seriously though, that is a bummer to see that car in such sad shape. Hopefully someone rescues it some day.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

strange the '68-70 sumpthin chevelles are so popular,.. but the '66-67 ain't.. i guess it's like the first gen chargers are often overlooked...
My sister had a friend in high school with a marina blue '66 or '67 SS, it was really jacked up high on fat tires and shackels,.. i remember one time driving in that car in the rain in Oakland and the thing was fishtailing all over the road, I guess the micky tompson tires and a rear center of gravity six inches higher then stock wasn't exactly ideal...

TruckDriver

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 20, 2008, 06:39:32 AM

So that is how you know when looking at it? I am going to go back today and get the vin from it. Forgot to do that yesterday. Neither door opens, so I will do a quick check under the hood once. I am so tempted to ask the farmer about this car. Cause you just know that someone would save this car being a BB car. :yesnod:
PETE

Chatt69chgr

Not everybody thinks the 68-70 Chevelles are the best.  I don't (but you are correct that they are the most popular).  For the life of me I have never understood why unless it's because of the engine.  The styling on the 68-70's is just not as classic as the 66-67's.  You will notice that the 66 Chevelle probably was inspiration for the 68 Charger.  And the 68-70 Chevelles were probably inspiration for the 3rd gen Chargers.  I was a junior in college when the 66 Chevelle SS396 hit the street.  I would have given about anything to have one of those.  I would still like to have one but am up to my ears in my 69 Charger 440-4sp R/T clone project.  Maybe in the future.  Who knows.  But if I lived near where that car was sitting, I think it would be worth getting to salvage the drivetrain out of it.  Might even be able to get chrome trim, etc.  I've learned that when you are working on an old car, every little piece is worth having.  If for no other reason, that car would be good as a template to follow when restoring another vehicle after you have torn car down to a unibody.  Easy to forget what goes where.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 20, 2008, 10:36:51 AM
Not everybody thinks the 68-70 Chevelles are the best.  I don't (but you are correct that they are the most popular).  For the life of me I have never understood why

I agree.  I can not understand that either.

If I was to ever own a Chevelle it would be a 66-67. Those are sweet looking cars.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Quote from: chargerboy69 on April 20, 2008, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 20, 2008, 10:36:51 AM
Not everybody thinks the 68-70 Chevelles are the best.  I don't (but you are correct that they are the most popular).  For the life of me I have never understood why

I agree.  I can not understand that either.

If I was to ever own a Chevelle it would be a 66-67. Those are sweet looking cars.

:iagree: Way better looking than the 68-70 IMO.

derailed

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on April 20, 2008, 10:34:16 AM

So that is how you know when looking at it? I am going to go back today and get the vin from it.
If I remember correctly on the 67s the first 3 numbers of the VIN on the SS are 138. The Chevelles are a real easy car to clone into SS's. I would imagine that ones probably the real deal though. It looks like its been there awhile.

TruckDriver

Well, I went back today, and looked under the hood. The cowl tag is gone, and looks like it has been for a long time.
PETE

nakita7

I like all Chevelles from 66-72, but I disagree 68-70 are the most popular, Ive known way more people that wanted the 66-67's (particularly rags), and then the 70. 68-69 and 71-72 are just so-so it seems to me.

The70RT

So the motors gone right? You would pull the motor with the trans. so why is the shifter still there?  :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

well around here all you ever see are the 68s and up,.. only time i ever see, the first ones is at a car show, and even there they are far out numbered by the later years.. just my observation....   :shruggy:

C_stripes

Quote from: derailed on April 20, 2008, 05:10:09 PM
Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on April 20, 2008, 10:34:16 AM

So that is how you know when looking at it? I am going to go back today and get the vin from it.
If I remember correctly on the 67s the first 3 numbers of the VIN on the SS are 138. The Chevelles are a real easy car to clone into SS's. I would imagine that ones probably the real deal though. It looks like its been there awhile.

Yes.  The first three in the vin for 67 is 138.  There is one sitting in my friends back yard
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

derailed

I know somone looking for those pedals in that car, looks like it still has a few parts that could be picked off it. Steering column looks like its descent, may be a tilt, hard to tell.

TruckDriver

Quote from: The70RT on April 21, 2008, 07:42:46 PM
So the motors gone right? You would pull the motor with the trans. so why is the shifter still there?  :scratchchin:

The tranny is still in it too.

Quote from: derailed on April 21, 2008, 08:24:34 PM
I know somone looking for those pedals in that car, looks like it still has a few parts that could be picked off it.

There is a few good parts there yet. All the glass is good too.
PETE

694spdRT

I like Chevelle's but they are almost as common as Camaro's.

Back in high school a friend of mine had a real nice '69 Chevelle convertible. It was a smallblock car that had a strong 454 and 4 speed put into it. It was supposed to be the fastest car around but one night a Grand National finally beat it.

About 3 years ago my wife worked with a lady and she mentioned her husband had an old Chevelle. I didn't pay much mind to it but a little while later at the age of 52 he died of a sudden heart attack as he was trying on a tux for his daughters wedding. His wife had a lot to deal with and a couple months later she started to ask about selling the car. We went over one night to check it out a give her some advice. When she opened up the garage there sat a 30,000 mile original black 1970 454 LS6.  :o  Turns out her husband bought it at a local used car dealer in 1972 for $1,800 and kept it stored away ever since. She had an idea that it might be worth a little money and a friend had already offered 20K for it.  I explained that was the top Chevelle ever made and she better not sell for that price.  A little while later she made a few calls to some Chevelle clubs.  Needless to say after the bidding war ended she pocketed $70,000.   

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi