News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

finally broke my last nerve

Started by chargerman68, April 19, 2008, 03:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman68

well all,

i am seriously deciding if the charger is going up for sale..after getting screwed getting it repaired and painted,then dumping even more money into myself to get it ready.one thing after another i just broke my throttle cable last week bought a new one now it wont start.....i am serious about selling it and getting one already done........any ideas..... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Death1970Proof

Quote from: chargerman68 on April 19, 2008, 03:17:20 PM
well all,

i am seriously deciding if the charger is going up for sale..after getting screwed getting it repaired and painted,then dumping even more money into myself to get it ready.one thing after another i just broke my throttle cable last week bought a new one now it wont start.....i am serious about selling it and getting one already done........any ideas..... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Think hard about it before you sell it.  Even if your car needs alot of work you will know what you have when you get it done. Buying a so called "done" car is a real crapshot. Just my  :Twocents:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

andy74

i would step back and take a few days away from working on the car,it usually gives me eough time to chill and refocus-hope it all works out for ya :cheers:

heidifisher

Quote from: andy74 on April 19, 2008, 03:49:21 PM
i would step back and take a few days away from working on the car,it usually gives me eough time to chill and refocus-hope it all works out for ya :cheers:
:iagree: THE CAR WILL MEAN MORE TO YA WHEN YOU DO FINISH IT THEN GETING ONE THATS DONE IMO, PLUS YOU GET TO BRAG WHAT YOU DONE TO IT! :icon_smile_big:

chargerman68

thanks i ve  done that several times in the last few months....i just dont think i can stand it anymore..i just want to enjoy the car not just deal with it...
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

mikesbbody

good advice! that's what i would do remember when you couldnt start her last time? it turned out to be something minor.
Remember, we all go through this stuff hang in there  :2thumbs:

Spike

It helps to have a fellow Mopar wrench or gear-head friend help you out. I accomplished a lot more this way then throwing wrenches at the garage wall!

myk

Well, if you sold your car would you have enough money to buy a car that's already "done?" 

drifter69

I have a 80 Chevy citation around back that I take a baseball bat to on just those occasions. :brickwall:

68charger383

Just hang in there....even a "done" needs work now and then, so you'll be in the same boat.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

69charger2002

Quote from: drifter69 on April 19, 2008, 05:37:00 PM
I have a 80 Chevy citation around back that I take a baseball bat to on just those occasions. :brickwall:
what an awesome idea!! a frustration beater for those rough days.. i love it
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

hemihead

Quote from: drifter69 on April 19, 2008, 05:37:00 PM
"  It is a shame when people do that to an old car . Somebody could restore that . "
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: chargerman68 on April 19, 2008, 03:17:20 PM
well all,

I am seriously deciding if the charger is going up for sale..after getting screwed getting it repaired and painted,then dumping even more money into myself to get it ready.one thing after another i just broke my throttle cable last week bought a new one now it wont start.....i am serious about selling it and getting one already done........any ideas..... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
I hate to say this, but I hear ya.  I myself am at my wits end.  I've just been through to much.  It's becoming a love/hate issue and I don't have time for this.  I may not go to PA this summer after all.  I just don't trust the car.   Almost every friggin time I go for a ride it's something.  Last night I went to show someone the car and there's a medium size chip right in the front.  The car is 40 years old and I don't blame the car but all those throughout the decades that altered it.  I'm to old for this stuff.  My thought for myself is to wait long and hard before I really give up on the hobby, because after this car, that's it for me.  I hear ya man.  Take time to think it out.   As for now, shut the garage door and come back to it later, could be something simple.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BB1

Guys, its a 40 year old car. Even when they where new they had issues, car are not perfect even today.
Most people don't remember the old days, all they know now is how you can plop youself into Honda or Toyota and it runs everytime. This computer driven world drives me nuts.

My attitude is I love working on my old Charger, it gives me pleasure sitting still as it does driving it.
If my hood wasn't up all the time, I would feel like "hey it doesn't need me today" rats.

Both my Chargers are in pieces, I haven't driven one since 1995. I look forward to cruse with my buds on here one day soon.

Maybe next month.  ;D

I'm moving to Arizona, if I can help anyone, let me know. I will go to San Diego a lot to visit my family.

Cheers
Delete my profile

Brock Samson

if you drive these cars instead of babying them chits gonna happen,.. you guys have your cars what a year?.. maybe two?.. and your bitchen and moaning.. a paint chip, wont start?..
I think that's funny....

:lol:

Charger-Bodie

This hobby is definitely not for the weak or impatient. PERIOD  :eek2:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 20, 2008, 10:51:30 AM
This hobby is definitely not for the weak or impatient. PERIOD  :eek2:
it's taken me almost 8 years to work most of the kinks out of my 69 runner ,driver     they are a constant work in progress,but that the whole fun of it working and tinkering on them  :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

when i got mine in '84, she needed everything mechanical redone... even the dash wiring was hacked,.. the stainless and most trim was fine, actually making the project look pretty good,.. like a mirage...  :lol: 
so after seeing the charger, what looked to be a triple black white stripped car at the time... within 10 minutes i was thinking,.. maybe a two year project,..  maybe ten grand...  :lol:

boy was i off, i hadn't even checked the numbers on the fender tag yet...
and i locked into my stupid skull, Yeah, two years and ten grand, and she'll be a show winner... the baddest charger ever in the history of MOPAR...
   :slap:

but i was young (24) and hadn't ever done a project car before... probably a good thing i was that naive because if i had know then what lay ahead,..  :shruggy:  i sure would have done things different, and had a whole different set of expectations...

70charginglizard

I agree with most here.

Stand back and take a break from it for a while.

Usually best not to decide upon things like this when your all heated and upset.

Thats typical with anything in life.

Give yourself a break for a while and then decide. :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

Red Ram

I have the most problems with my car when it's been sitting around for too long. As a matter of fact, my Charger's battery was dead last night at the grocery store parking lot. Lucky for me a young woman offered to jump start the car. I showed her how to use her jumper cables. So it was a benefit for everyone :icon_smile_big:
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 20, 2008, 10:47:15 AM
if you drive these cars instead of babying them chits gonna happen,.. you guys have your cars what a year?.. maybe two?.. and your bitchen and moaning.. a paint chip, wont start?..
I think that's funny....

:lol:
The not starting and paint chip frustration comes after much much pain and suffering from many many other large and small items of frustration.  Not including the financial strain, stress that carries over to family members etc...   He's not writing for the first time, nor am I commenting on first time issues.  His, mine and other people's frustration is as his title says's,  " Finally broke my last nerve".  I understand 100%.   I still remember one of my first threads of my woes and someone commenting with, "This is why I'm losing the feeling for this hobby".  And it ain't funny. :rotz:   Just last week when I was threading an exhaust stud into my head and it threaded right into the water jacket ( long story )  I shut the garage doors and packed it in.  I had had to much ( read my early threads )  I actually drove to work thinking how I was going to list it on ebay.  And it ain't funny because I would lose a lot of money. :rotz:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

squeakfinder

It's frustrating allwright. But, it sounds like you might be at that stage where your now working out the little bugs that always seem to happen at the end of a major project.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

RECHRGD

I think a lot of different things come into play here.  Expectations based upon limited experience and mechanical knowledge will usually lead to tapping out your budget way before your close to being done.  If your in the midst of raising a family and paying a mortgage, that can certainly turn you off to the hobby.  So many of us that don't have the coin to go out and buy a "done" car think that they can build one for half the cost.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!  I had a "done" car in 1968 right off the showroom floor and even it had it's issues from time to time to deal with.  I didn't get into this hobby until after the kids were gone and I was financially stable.  I never would have thought that I would ever be capable of pulling and engine or tranny, much less, tearing into them as I'm doing now.  I get great satisfaction by fixing and improving things on the car.  I think that's what the hobby is all about.  I may not be saying that though, if I wipe out my new cam at start up pretty soon. :eek2: :eek2:  Anyway, this hobby takes a combination of time, finances, temperament and keeping focused on the end result rather than the bumps along the way. :Twocents:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

69bronzeT5

I get frustrated alot with my car. If I cant figure something out then I just turn off the lights, go into the house and try again in the morning.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

68chrgrwife

Don't worry guys I won't let him see it.  He is a little frustrated, but it will be ok...It is just that the last few weeks we were ready to hit a car show, hubby works on the car all day on the one thing that is keeping us from going to the show the next day and in the end something else breaks.  As he said...he replaced the throttle cable that he broke last week (after spending literally the whole day outside redoing the exhaust, tuning up the car, and other little odds and ends...to have that break)...should have been it so we could have taken her to Coronado today...but no the dang thing won't start; can't figure out why not....no loose connections battery is fine...just keeps clicking......
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!