News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH CAM CHOICE??

Started by 1badbee, April 14, 2008, 08:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badbee

Hello everyone,

I was JUST getting to drive my car, (that was LONG overdue) and I found out that I have no vaccum for my brakes..The cam I have is a PURPLESHAFT 509/509, and she is a go getter!!
I have a power brake set up in her, but only ONE shot for brakes, then its white knuckle time!!

It was suggested to me to replace the cam for a different one, one that will create the vaccum needed..
My car is a 70 Bee, 383 with mild work done to heads, 4-speed,391:1 suregrip, with a holley 750 double pumper, with 1.6 rockers, flat tappet hydrolic lifters..
If I do need to change the cam, could anyone tell me, or give me direction on which one to get..
I have heard HORROR stories about how much people HATE the purpleshaft cams..
Should I go with a Crane??
Should I go with a Lunadi??
Does anyone know of these cams, expirence wise??
I want this car to be a ground pounder, a force to be recogned with CAN ANYONE HELP ME??

Thank you all on Dodge Charger!!

High Impact

I have a similar set-up.   Mines a 69 Bee with a 383 and the 284/484 with the 108 CL.  and it basically sucks!   I put power brakes on mine too and I have about one shot with braking.  I have 10.5-11.1 comp. with ported 906 heads, an RPM intake, 750 DP Holley,Mopar Elect. Igntion with the orange box,3000 PTC conveter and a 3.54 geared Dana 60.

One thing I was told to do which did inprove things was to  take one of the advance springs out of the distrubutor.   Now,  its advanced as soon as the car fires up which helped the low vacumn and low end grunt but it still shakes and acts like a race car which isnt what I wanted.

I was told that if I changed cams a Engle K56 would be a great choise or even one of the Summit brand cams but I have'nt had anyone tell me of there experence with either one of those.   The other thing that worrys me is reading that some guys are wipeing out cams left and right because of the oil content these days.   Last thing I want to do is tear the engine back apart to clean metal shavings out of it!

Hopefully somone will answer some of our questions as to what might work well.

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

moparmusclecars

I highly recommend a Racer Brown Cam. All I can say is call Jim @ 410-866-7660 he is in Baltimore, Maryland. Ask him all these questions and he will tell you right away what cam you need. All their cams are each custom ground not like the big guys cams that is mentioned above. Racer Brown sets out to get us the most that can be gotten with our set-ups. Not to knock other cam manufurers, but many just make tons of cams because they are trying to sell tons of cams to many people. Jim at racer Brown really cares that he sells you the right cam. He will tell you all about Mopar Cams. He says they have a Chevy grind on them. He is very knowledgeable. I have bought 2 cams from them so far and will be replacing the one in my 6pk runner which is now a 509 purple shaft. Jim even told me that not to brag, but this racer cam will put your Purple Shaft to shame. He is not a loud guy, just honest. I believe in these cams. They have done lots of research on making their cams to give the most power and torque at the right times. Call him and see what he has to say about their cams and the other cams mentioned. Email me directly if you want to see a letter from a very well known engine builder and racer who is  out of Canada who has tested Mopar Big Blocks and ran 26 cams to date in them. He swears by the Racer Brown cams also. He is the one that got me hooked. Thanks, Lyle

Rob R

You don't need to change the cam just put a vacuum reservoir on it...do it all the time with big roller cams...it's the silver can by the battery

firefighter3931

That a LOT of cam for a mild 383 ! Are you pleased with the overall performance ? It probably doesn't make much power below 4000 rpmĀ  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1badbee

Firefighter,

Yea the car is a POOCH untill about 3000-3500 RPM then she wakes up and blisters the tires off her, and tries to bring the back end around to the front..
Thats what Im trying to achieve from 1500 RPM with out all the poochieness untill 3000 RPM like the cam I have now..

firefighter3931

Look at the VooDoo 60303 for your combination.....it'll be much more streetable and easier to tune.  :2thumbs:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=LUN%2D60303LK&autoview=sku

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs