News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the thickest valve cover gasket for a 440? How to strip paint?

Started by A34, April 18, 2008, 07:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A34

Hey Guys,

The adjusters for the pushrods in my new 440 are hitting the baffles in the stock valve covers. I have peened down the area on the baffles where they are hitting.

In addition to that,I want to run the thickest valve cover gasket I can find to help lift it away from the pushrod.  Any recommendations?

Also, I need to strip the paint and repaint them. Any suggestions for a good chemical stripper?

Thanks !!!!!
  :cheers:
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

Just 6T9 CHGR

Randy, if they are previously painted and the paint is holding up well, I would just scuff & paint.  Trying to chemically strip the VC's (especially the pass side on a 69 big block HP engine) will be a major PITA.  If at all I would suggest sandblasting if you could.

If you look on Mancini Racing's site they give the thicknesses of all the gaskets.  I just used Fel-Pro's rubber coated cork ones that were pretty thick :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

73charger528cid

easy off oven cleaner will get any paint off quick make sure to wash them well when you done and wipe em down with prepsol before painting