News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tune up help

Started by Shields14, April 11, 2013, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shields14

alright guys i just put a new 670 streeet avenger on my mild build 440, everything running good 70s in the fron 73 in the back  was getting around 10 vacuum  and all of a sudden i lost alot of horsepower i can unplug the vacuum plugs and it doesnt seem to bother the engine at all  i have to have the idle mixture screws almost all the way in for it to run at best vacuum  my float leve;s r good.  i checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner but found nothing. im still getting 7 or 8 vacuum.  initial at 18 total at 37  was running great now something just not right. not sure wether to pull off valley pan and replace or look at something else..

cdr

sounds like it flooding,,,,,,stuck float ??
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Shields14

changed the needle and seat and set it where it needed to be didnt seem to change anything,i will replace the secondary needle and seat today and see what happens but i think it is good. both sight plugs look about right

Cooter

How do we know it's the carb? I mean, sure it responds to carb changes, but could be covering up something else.

I assume you checked power valves? Made sure jets didn't fall out?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Shields14

ya i put a new power valve in and the jets are all good. one thing i noticed i put the timing light on it and it reads a real steady reading of 19 at idle and about every 3 seconds the timing jumps big time for just a split second. does it faster the more you rev it up.i dont think that is my flooding problem but i need to figure out what is going on there  has pretty new mopar perf dizzy and orange box  plugs and wires  i set the gap at 080 with brass feeler guage.. could a vacuum leak someplace under my valley pan be causing the flooding or vacuum leak anywhere for that matter.

greyeagle

Figured out the spark problem. A electrode came loose and was just bouncing around on the number 1 plug