News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

okay okay... never in my life did I think this would happen, but...

Started by RD, April 13, 2008, 09:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

I found myself accepting a 66 chevy el camino from a friend.  it was in a family settlement and the guy had to get rid of it quick.  it has sat for 20 years in a field.  has moss all over it (easily scrubbed off), here are the details:

• framerails not rusted and are straight
  • has a 327
  • has a 4 spd
  • has a 12 bolt/posi
  • factory dual exhaust
  • sport hood with fake vents
  • drivers/passenger side floorboards will need replaced, but are really not that bad
  • engine turns
  • has all the trim
  • malibu package

What do you think something like this is worth?  I have no idear.... at all... Never knew chevy's, never cared to, but if I didnt grab it, it was going to the crusher, and well... I could not let something like that happen even if it is a chevy.  too much history thrown away in that regard, especially with something so complete.

Any idears?

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1987128
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Kevin68N71

What's wrong with it?  I got an AMX and a Corvair Rampside in the collection, so I am not the guy to talk to if you want someone to tell you you made a mistake!

Misc. thoughts.

The 327 is a very nice engine that you can leave as is or do just about anything you want to it. Headers, bigger intake, hotter heads, cam etc.

This looks like it has some SS type equipment on it...you got an interesting hood, rear end, etc.  4 speed is a real plus.

What would I do?  Replace the floorboards right away.  Clean it up to the quick.  If the carpet is ruined, put some cheap carpet in for the time being. Sand and primer to stop the surface rust and even it out.  Then drive the heck out of it.

El Camino's are fun!  Haul parts, home stuff, etc.  I have almost always had a pickup around.  So you got a hauler and a fun car.  Hard to beat that.

What are they worth?  Personally, I would take 50% off the average price that you see them in Hemmings going for, and you are about there!

Obviously, documented SS versions are worth the most.  If you can substantiate that all that equipment is original, more the better.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

RD

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on April 13, 2008, 10:01:48 PM
What's wrong with it?  I got an AMX and a Corvair Rampside in the collection, so I am not the guy to talk to if you want someone to tell you you made a mistake!

Misc. thoughts.

The 327 is a very nice engine that you can leave as is or do just about anything you want to it. Headers, bigger intake, hotter heads, cam etc.

This looks like it has some SS type equipment on it...you got an interesting hood, rear end, etc.  4 speed is a real plus.

What would I do?  Replace the floorboards right away.  Clean it up to the quick.  If the carpet is ruined, put some cheap carpet in for the time being. Sand and primer to stop the surface rust and even it out.  Then drive the heck out of it.

El Camino's are fun!  Haul parts, home stuff, etc.  I have almost always had a pickup around.  So you got a hauler and a fun car.  Hard to beat that.

What are they worth?  Personally, I would take 50% off the average price that you see them in Hemmings going for, and you are about there!

Obviously, documented SS versions are worth the most.  If you can substantiate that all that equipment is original, more the better.

kevin, thats just it!  nothing is wrong with it in my eyes.. i actually like the thing (ALOT!!!).  The parts hauler idea is exactly what I was thinking.  Thanks for your input, especially since its coincides with mine LOL  ;) :cheers:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TruckDriver

In that shape, maybe $2,000 to the right person. Restored about $5-$8,000.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

charger_mike75

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Charger_Fan

You could always post a WIW on an Elky site, for better price feedback.
Myself, I would say Pete's guess probably isn't far off...unless it's a real SS, then it would be worth more, I would imagine.

Regardless, cool score. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Bullit_68

I would keep it fix it up as a nice driver and parts hauler.That 327 is a pretty good reliable engine.

TheGhost

I read the title, and thought to myself "He went and bought a Chevy." :lol:

I agree with everyone else here.  Keep it.  Not enough of these old cars on the road anymore.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

1969chargerrtse

Nice.  I love El camino's.  Popular year also.  I'd keep it if I still had energy to fix something up. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

RD

Quote from: MorePwr on April 14, 2008, 06:44:55 AM
Nice score  :2thumbs: IMO 2k is about right in that condition, but restored would be closer to 15k. somethings not right though..327 with a 12 bolt  :scratchchin: I'm gonna check into that. sounds more like a big block car.

really?  i have no clue when it comes to chevy's, period.  how would i check to see if its a original big block car?  hell, i cannot even find a VIN tag, just the cowl fender tag is all I can find.  let me know what you find out.

Jamey

hutch

Rocket sled

I love them old El Cominos.  They make great toys.  Keep it.

:2thumbs:
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: RD on April 14, 2008, 07:18:29 AM
Nice score  :2thumbs: IMO 2k is about right in that condition, but restored would be closer to 15k. somethings not right though..327 with a 12 bolt  :scratchchin: I'm gonna check into that. sounds more like a big block car.

really?  i have no clue when it comes to chevy's, period.  how would i check to see if its a original big block car?  hell, i cannot even find a VIN tag, just the cowl fender tag is all I can find.  let me know what you find out.

Jamey

Chevys did not have the same type of documentation that Mopars had.  Corvettes were an exception as some of them had buildsheets placed on the top of the gas tanks (although not that many survived that way).  The firewall tag will only tell you the most basic information, but not the engine size.  There are tell tale signs for a big block car on Chevys, but unfortunately, I don't know what they are on ECs (I only know BB Vette stuff).  You might want to invest in a EC specific book as it might give you alot more information to finding out what you really have.  On the plus side, it looks like you have a cool parts hauler......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

68RT4ME

Nice grab there. It's a car worth saving. You might want to post it on a chevy forum to get a better idea of it's worth and maybe find a buyer there too.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

resq302

if you are looking for a el camino site, try www.chevelles.com.  Excellent site just as this one is dedicated to chevelles and el caminos.  Probably the number 1 el camino/chevelle site out there also.

by the way, nice grab!  I think that hood is cool also. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

firefighter3931

Put a 6-pack scoop on that chebby !  :icon_smile_big:

Ebay the drivetrain and swap in a 360/727/8.75  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hotrod98

I bought a pretty solid 72 El Camino for cheap a few months ago and I've been thinking about making it my shop truck. I've already bought an SS hood and a few interior parts. Should make a nice hauler. Couldn't find a decent mopar wagon so I went this route instead.
I think big-block El Caminos will be worth good money eventually and they're still relatively cheap to buy.
I say keep it. It's money in the bank.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

1969chargerrtse

I know the small block Camaros had 12 bolt in the SS cars.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

PocketThunder

I e-mailed my old roommate who did a frame off on a 66 SS396 chevelle and here is what he said:

It sounds like it could be legit.  In '66, the 327 was not available unless it was custom ordered that way.  The 327 in 65 and again in 67 had 360 hp just like my 396 did, but it was peppy and quick off the line.  A 327 car could usually beat a 396 car.  They discontinued the 327 option for '66 as a standard offer because they were trying to build hype around their new big block, the 396.  So based on that, if the 327 came in the car from the factory, it's probably a rare set up.  It's probably worth more than the one chump said at $5-8 G's restored.  The hood, the 12 bolt rear, and the 4 speed are all indicators of a SS set up.  My guess, is that if it's original, the guy ordered the options he wanted, and put it in a Malibu package.  My dad did that in '72 because insurance on an SS badged car was much more than a Malibu.  Or some gear head back in 1975 scrounged some parts and slapped them into the car you see now.  The parts mentioned are all easy swaps.  The things to look for are the dash set up, the counsel, and the tag numbers.  The SS hood is sort of odd, since a Malibu would not have come with that at all I don't think.  That definitely looks swapped. 

This is based on what I know about my car; I'm not sure if the Elc's history is slightly different than that.

Beyond that, it's tough to call.

Later.

J

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Pete, ya chump. :slap:                                  ;D

Ok, I am too. :-\

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

andy74

factory big block cars had a larger fuel line,and heavy front and rear springs,another easily swapped part,my uncle is a huge chevelle guy,i just called him and asked him what to look for and he said he will call me back shortly,ill pm you wit any info he gets me :icon_smile_big:

RD

man, you guys are awesome.. thanks so much for your help in deciphering this... who says I need to go to a chevy forum when I got you guys? :D hehehehe

thanks PT for your contact to your friend, and thanks andy for calling your uncle... i will be awaiting your reply.

Jamey

RD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 14, 2008, 10:17:06 AM
Put a 6-pack scoop on that chebby !  :icon_smile_big:

Ebay the drivetrain and swap in a 360/727/8.75  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

i was going to do that before I found out the drivetrain combination...  if it was a 283/glide... i was going to put a 400/727/8.75 in there.. but now, i think i will keep it the way it is.

RD

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 14, 2008, 10:55:27 AM
The things to look for are the dash set up, the counsel, and the tag numbers.  The SS hood is sort of odd, since a Malibu would not have come with that at all I don't think.  That definitely looks swapped. 

so what am i looking for on the console, the dash set up?  I (slap this dummy) didnt even look at the vin, but rather just ran the cowl tag numbers (which didnt give me much of anything).  I will look for the VIN tonight when i get home.

Jamey

TruckDriver

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 14, 2008, 11:00:01 AM
Pete, ya chump. :slap:                                  ;D

Ok, I am too. :-\

Hey now, that was just a educated guess I gave for a not so rare truck. I grew up in Chevys, but that doesn't make me a expert on them, so :moon:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

dpm68

Very cool car and totally worth keeping as a common dray animal. I love the blue shag carpet!

pettyfan43

Yeah the hood AND the 12 Bolt both scream big block. Not sure if those were an option in 66 though. At one time I had a 73 GMC Sprint (Same thing) and it came with a 454 and a tach dash and the whole SS package bit. Pretty neat, I had a Laguna style nose with the rubber bumper and all but traded it off before I ever got it back on the road. Such is life.  :eyes:

BB1

RD, your playing with evil forces you can't possibly imagine.
Call... I know a good shrink.
Delete my profile

Hemidoug

Throw a stroker 383 and some NOS in it and race it on Pinks..... :icon_smile_big:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Todd Wilson

Find a Chevy guy and flip it. Too much work there for you RD!

Todd

RD

after more research than I ever thought I would accomplish on a solitary chevy, I have:

1. not found the VIN (anywhere)
2. found out the front clip is from another car (has red paint under the white paint)
3. the 327 is out of a 62 full size car with A/C and was in front of a powerglide
4. the heads are off of a 74/75 350 or 400
5. this is getting to be too much bullhockey!

time to either do something with this car or part it out...  it no longer has that rarity that I was hoping for... may just sell it to some chevy guy... I will have to think on this one for a spell.  If I ever find the damn VIN and find out its exact make up, and its cool, I may just keep it, but that is looking pretty fuzzy right now.

69charger2002

sell it and whatever you make off of it set it to the side for your next MOPAR project!
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

PocketThunder

The VIN tag is not on the post in the drivers door next to the hinge? :shruggy:

This should help.   :yesnod:

http://www.chevelles.com/years/66/66facts.htm

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RD

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 16, 2008, 11:02:44 PM
The VIN tag is not on the post in the drivers door next to the hinge? :shruggy:

This should help.   :yesnod:

http://www.chevelles.com/years/66/66facts.htm

LOL, i am trying my damndest to get the drivers side door open!  maybe that is why I could not find it.  When I get it open, I will check it, thanks.

andy74

sorry i havent found out any info for you rd, my uncle is in the shop damn near all the time,but ill pick his brain over the weekend,he is going to come over for beers on saturday nite :cheers:

PocketThunder

Charger_Fan

Quote from: RD on April 16, 2008, 10:41:05 PM
2. found out the front clip is from another car (has red paint under the white paint)
3. the 327 is out of a 62 full size car with A/C and was in front of a powerglide
4. the heads are off of a 74/75 350 or 400
Sounds like probably three different Chebbies that were being worked on in my high school auto shop, back in the day. :smilielol:

TeeWJay426

Doesn't sound like it is a particularly valuable example, but it is a pretty cool & fun vehicle none the less, so if I were in your position, I would just do a basic rebuild and quickie paint, and drive the living pi$$ out of it.... :drive:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

RD

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on April 18, 2008, 10:43:56 PM
Doesn't sound like it is a particularly valuable example, but it is a pretty cool & fun vehicle none the less, so if I were in your position, I would just do a basic rebuild and quickie paint, and drive the living pi$$ out of it.... :drive:

actually, call me a blasphemer.. but I am going to pull the drivetrain... rebuild the 327 for my father-in-law (he has a 68 impala that he wants it in). sell the 4 spd and put in a mopar 400, 9.5 to 1 motor with a 727 trans and piss off some chevy guys now.  well... that is an idea... but realistically, it wont happen until the mopes are done :D

nixed that

RD

well, i came to my senses... its being flipped... hemmings has it (on a 1-6, 6 being worse) as a 5 and states the car is worth $3450 in its current condition. so, its time to hit the chevy forums :D muwhahahahahaha

thanks for bringing me back to my senses guys!!!!

moparstuart

Quote from: RD on April 22, 2008, 09:12:55 PM
well, i came to my senses... its being flipped... hemmings has it (on a 1-6, 6 being worse) as a 5 and states the car is worth $3450 in its current condition. so, its time to hit the chevy forums :D muwhahahahahaha

thanks for bringing me back to my senses guys!!!!
saw it on craigs list  good luck hope you get it sold brother
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE