News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dual plane intake question

Started by flyinlow, April 13, 2008, 07:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

After reading several posts on 440 intakes ,I found a nice Edelbrock performer rpm intake at a swap meet. I also picked up a Mr. Gasket speadbore adaptor so I can run a thermoquad.  Will the open area of the adaptor effect the low/midrange advantage of the dual plane design? Would a Hollley Street Dominator intake work better? (mild street build ,edelbrock head)

andy74

for a mild build i think youll be fine with the rpm intake,as long as you have hood clearance- i know a lot of people love the street dominator,my self included,but for a street low rpm driver,your probably better off with the dual plane and the torque it helps build,i ran the same mr gasket adapter that you plan to use for a while and i didnt care for the spread bore carb,but thats just me-im sure others will chime in here with more input,but thats my 2 cents

Ghoste

Like Andy said, I think I'd be more concerned about hood clearance with an already quite tall intake versus worrying about the adapter affecting the intakes performance.

flyinlow

I have heard about the hood clearence problems with 68 Chargers. Was not sure about the 73 hood. Was thinking of an vfn fiberglass powerbulge hood,this might give me more room.  Car has a 318 now, will be installling the 440 with Summacher mounts. The instructions say it should be the stock height.
Anyone use this engine/intake know how much clearence I will have?

andy74

youll need a drop base air cleanner for sure,and im 99% that the adapter wont fit under it unless you use the bulge hood-the combo i ran that intake and spacer with was in a pick up with lots of hood clearance

firefighter3931

I'm not a fan of the thermoquad......i'd run a holley on the RPM intake.

The Street Dominator will accept a thermoquad if you just have  to use it. The stock throttle cable & bracket as well as the kickdown linkage will also work.

The RPM intake with a 1in adapter/spacer will not clear the stock hood....even with a drop base air cleaner. You will also need a new taller throttle cable bracket and longer cable to make it work.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

And if you are running an automatic, you'll also likely need a cable type kickdown.

flyinlow

I am not married to the thermoquad, but I used one 30 years ago on a 440 charger,ran well after tuning ,better milage then the Holley it replaced. I thought about an Edelbrock performer 800cfm / with electric choke.  Would this fit under flat 73 hood?

firefighter3931

The 800 Thunder series would be the best option if you wanted to stay with an Edelbrock carb, inmo.  :Twocents:

Not sure on the hood clearance with a flat hood....i'm thinking you would need a powerbulge hood and a drop base aircleaner to make it fit.  :shruggy:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Thanks Ron,

I have the stock 77 intake , when the block is back from the machine shop (this week I hope) and I get the engine assembled/installed I guess i find out. I have  a 750 Holley Aviallable might work  on the performer rpm intake?.
I moved the battery to the trunk and was thinking of running a cold air intake thru where the Battery had been. Was thinking a 5 inch tube with a remote fiilter where the battery used to be then past the radiator to pick up fresh air. How much height over the top of a carb do you need for good flow?

andy74

i have a edelbrock 750 on top of a 68 cast intake in my 72,with a mopar cast air cleanner,2 1/2 inch air filter that just clears a flat hood,a 3 inch element hit the bracing on the bottom of the hood,just for reference