News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do it yourself gear swap?

Started by 64cubed, April 12, 2008, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64cubed

I have a 742 housing with a sure grip in it and 3.55's Im thinking about trying out some 4:10's and maybe a
Detroit locker. Is this a do it yourself project or better left to the pros. I am a pretty good mechanic but not a pro. Meaning I can do a clutch, Pull my engine and re install it remove my heads and re install..do a cam swap..brake job..etc..  Im really thinking about having 2 pigs handy one with 3.55's and one with 4.10's.
:cheers:

oldkimmer

.............It is best left 4 the pros, however if u can beg, borrow or steal the proper tools and a good book u will b amazed at what u can accomplish............kim.......
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

terrible one

To just switch out chunks is no big deal at all! You could do it easily. Look for 70charginglizard's thread on swapping to 3.23's posted here recently.

64cubed

Quote from: terrible one on April 12, 2008, 11:36:57 PM
To just switch out chunks is no big deal at all! You could do it easily. Look for 70charginglizard's thread on swapping to 3.23's posted here recently.
Oh yeah I can swap the chunks no prob there..I was just wondering about the actual building of the chunk. :scratchchin:

terrible one

Quote from: 64cubed on April 12, 2008, 11:45:15 PM
Quote from: terrible one on April 12, 2008, 11:36:57 PM
Oh yeah I can swap the chunks no prob there..I was just wondering about the actual building of the chunk. :scratchchin:

Oh yeah well for that, yes as Kim said . . .

73charger528cid

I've been doing it for yrs myself it's realy not that hard get a old chiltons manual or other service material the worst part of the hole thing is removeing the old pinion nut and torqueing the new one to proper spec.

on most of the carriers care must be taken not to over tighten the pinion nut there is a crush sleeve and if its over crush you will bneed a new one. 

I have also rebuilt aurburn limited slip units (cone stlye no clutch discs)
following a article in one of the mopar mags some 20 yrs ago and it works.

remove the cones have .010 machined off the face reinstall take the 4 factory spec srings and replace the with 4 cluch spings out of a 727 TF.
I not shure wich mag it was in but it works and saves a lot of $$ that can go some were else.