News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Fuel Pump Question

Started by Old School, June 02, 2008, 08:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old School

I had to install a electric fuel pump this weekend, my question is. In order to keep the humming at a minimum
so that it would not drive me crazy I wrapped the pump in insulation. Do you think that it will overheat or cause
any other problems? It's mounted in front of the gas tank on the crossmember were the shocks mount. 74 Charger.

Thanks

rt green

can you rubber mount it? use some old shock bushings?
third string oil changer

Mefirst

Quote from: rt green on June 02, 2008, 09:38:16 PM
can you rubber mount it? use some old shock bushings?

I used rubber bushings when I mounted the electric fuel pump, but it still "Hummzzz" But I imagine once the engine is running (Gear Drive, 2" headers, 3,5" pipes, etc..) the sound the fuel pump makes, wont be a major issue...

I dont think its good to wrap the fuel pump to tight...

/Tom

Old School

I did mount it onto a piece of rubber, but you can still hear it in the car. You can't here it outside the car just inside.
The damn thing will drive you crazy.

firefighter3931

OS, what brand pump ? Holley ? Fwiw, the Mallory pumps are much  quieter than the Holley's !  :yesnod:

Years ago i ran a Holley Blue and my reaction was the same as yours.  :eek2: Holley's are great on an open header racecar but on the street with closed exhaust all you wanna do is  :no:

The Holley Blue/Black pumps are designed to be used with a return line.....if you're using either w/o the return they will eventually overheat and burn up, not to mention the excessive noise ! They will quiet down with a return line setup but both the blue & Black still make more noise than the Mallory. The Holley Red pump can be used as a deadhead unit and will function fine w/o a return line.  ;)

Lastly, i would avoid wrapping the pump in insulation....that will hold the heat in and cause problems at some point.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Old School

This isn't a stand alone pump but more of a helper pump for curing vapor lock.
It's just a cheap I think Mr. Gasket pump.