News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

paint for radiator?

Started by 41husk, April 10, 2008, 08:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

Is ther any special paint needed for a radiator?  Can I just use a enamel?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

gasoline_24

superduperbee

Radiator paint or engine paint is formulated to allow heat to escape. Regular paint will hold the heat in, not a good idea for a radiator. I know of one guy who's big block chebby seized up after he painted his radiator all nice and shiny.

69hemi

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 10, 2008, 09:03:08 PM
Eastwood makes one just for the radiator, but I am not sure what makes it any different.  Here is a link:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=125&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=391&iProductID=125

That is the best stuff to use.  I have mine recored then not painted at the radiator shop so I can coat them when they come home.  Nice light, foggy coats to get good color coverage but not too thick.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

41husk

Engine paint or high temp paint will work?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

bill440rt

I used PPG's Deltron urethane for the upper & lower tanks. Then, just thin coats of Krylon on the fins to allow heat to escape. No problems at all with overheating, car runs cool as a cucumber. Engine is stock with a 30 overbore.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

471_Magnum

If the type of paint you use on your radiator makes the difference between overheating and not, you've got bigger problems.

A light application is what you want.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

daytonalo

The marketing dept for those clowns at Eastwood brain wash all you young guy's !!! I have used many kinds of paint over the last 25 years from Imron to Epoxy to Krylon , any and all will work !! Face it a rad only gets Max 220 . I love how people complicate life !

bull

daytonalo

I apologize for my rather Harsh style !! I really am just trying to make our lives less complicated 1

Larry

Ghoste

You're the best Larry.

(you know though it appears to me like you apologize for the gentle stuff but couldn't care less when you rip somebodys guts out  :lol:)
(oh, and I agree with you btw, it goes hand in hand with Magnums observation)

bill440rt

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2008, 09:28:43 AM
I used PPG's Deltron urethane for the upper & lower tanks. Then, just thin coats of Krylon on the fins to allow heat to escape. No problems at all with overheating, car runs cool as a cucumber. Engine is stock with a 30 overbore.

Come to think of it, I did this same paint application on the radiator in my '68. That 440 is bored 40-over & is mildly modified: cam, intake, carb, gears, etc. I wouldn't say it runs "cool", but right where it should. The temps might get a little up there with excessive idling in July, but that's normal. I wouldn't say it's the fault of the radiator.

471 Magnum stated it best about the rad paint, I wouldn't blame the PAINT either for an overheating problem. Unless, of course, the fins are completely blocked by goopy paint.
:Twocents: