News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rust Eliminator

Started by Needa68, April 15, 2008, 01:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Needa68

We recently discovered a product that is making restoration of parts for my son's MOPAR incredibly easy.

Last night I submerged a rust ridden console shift mechanism (to include the back up lights switch) in Evapo-Rust. This morning I extracted what looks like a new mechanism.

This stuff doesn't seem to hurt plastic, rubber or paint but it certainly gets rid of rust. I left the floorboard cover which is a rubber boot with an outer metal ring on the shifter mechanism when I dunked it. The cover emerged looking fine! The rust was gone from the metal ring and the rubber looked like new.

I bought Evapo-Rust at out local Tractor Supply Store. Yes, I live in the sticks!!! It cost me $19.84 per gallon. Who knows what it will cost in CA or NJ but I suspect those of you living in those states will still find it worth what you pay for it you're restoring an old car. They have a web site: http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Good luck with those restorations!
Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

69*F5*SE

Yeah, I have a gallon of this stuff and it works good for quite a few things that you can let soak.  I was pleased with it for how cheap it is.  Picklex 20 is another major breakthrough in rust conversion/removal/metal preserver/welding aide.  It's expensive though.

hutch

I  use the soda water and battery charger method with Rebar in a tub.  it takes a few hours but it work pretty well.  And its cheap.  I just use a generic form of Oxyclean as the soda agent.  I once made one out of a kiddy pool for a chevy resto I did a few years ago.  It worked great for larger parts.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mach1z

How 's that work ? Do you have to have a connection between the part and that bar on top?

hutch

Quote from: mach1z on April 19, 2008, 12:44:09 PM
How 's that work ? Do you have to have a connection between the part and that bar on top?

I use a hook on top from the bar to the part and let the part hang without touching the bars on the side.  For nuts and bolts I have a wire basket I use.  I connect a neg clamp on the bar and a positive clamp on a wire lead that connects to all of the bars on the wall.  Then the agent (oxyclean) in the water causes the rust to repel from the part hanging from the bar and move to the bars on the wall of the tub.  Takes about 6 hours for medium size parts. I made this one for all of my bumper brackets and head light pans and parts.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"