News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

breaking up at higher rpms

Started by andy74, April 09, 2008, 03:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

i drove the charger a little farther tha normal for a job interview this morning,and it was acting like a higher rpm miss,i unhooked the vaccum advance and plugged it with a golf tee,and it seems a lot better,why would it do this?never had a problem before,the distributor is a new one from advance auto,less than 500 miles,and i just put on a new cap,rotor and plug wires before i stored her away in the fall-electronic ignition if it matters

69chargeryeehaa

Same thing happed to me, soon after the high rpm break-up issue, the car would just start shutting off at a light.  Turned out to be the ign ECU, went to the Mopar chrome box, problem gone.... but some other causes could be the coil, pickup, ballast resistor, even spark plug gap.... :cheers:

andy74

i have an extra box and coil,ill try those to make sure

rt green

i would agree that would be a good place to start. you said you grove it farther that usually? heat does make sense. if that doesn't cure the problem, tell us what kind of carb your running.  had an edelbrock once. ran into a problem with the gas boiling in the fuel bowls from engine heat. did the same thing your car did. put on a plastic base plate  or what ever its made out of, and i found the cure.
third string oil changer

superduperbee

I had the same problem. Car would break up while driving on the freeway then shut off when I rolled to a stop. Ignition was getting too much voltage and burning out the coil.

andy74

Quote from: rt green on April 09, 2008, 06:34:55 PM
i would agree that would be a good place to start. you said you grove it farther that usually? heat does make sense. if that doesn't cure the problem, tell us what kind of carb your running.  had an edelbrock once. ran into a problem with the gas boiling in the fuel bowls from engine heat. did the same thing your car did. put on a plastic base plate  or what ever its made out of, and i found the cure.
never had a problem before,750 edelbrock and its only 60 degrees here-i still think its ignition related,i didnt touch it last night,just drove it to work and without the lights and heater on there was no problem,i wonder what would do it?im going to try and swap the coil and ecm,one at a time tonight-the alternator is less than a year old also,so i doubt its that,maybe battery?3 year old battery shouldnt shit the bed already should it?

firefighter3931

Andy, get a voltmeter on it and see how much voltage the regulator is putting out. Also check the voltage at the coil. :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 10, 2008, 11:32:57 AM
Andy, get a voltmeter on it and see how much voltage the regulator is putting out. Also check the voltage at the coil. :Twocents:

Ron
what should they be Ron?

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on April 10, 2008, 06:10:55 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 10, 2008, 11:32:57 AM

Ron
what should they be Ron?

Andy, you should have between 13 & 14 volts at the battery terminals with the engine running and ~ 8-9 volts at the coil.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

okay, i checked that,and with the lights and heater off they are right where you said they should be,but about 2 volts lower and a discharge showing on the ammeter when idle and lights,heater and radio on,gonna check all my wiring and bulkhead connections tonight :brickwall:

with the vaccum advance unhooked it seems to have gone away,no miss or breaking up-maybe the ecm is going away?or should i try to swap on a new balast,i have a few extras of each :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on April 12, 2008, 09:08:55 AM
okay, i checked that,and with the lights and heater off they are right where you said they should be,but about 2 volts lower and a discharge showing on the ammeter when idle and lights,heater and radio on,gonna check all my wiring and bulkhead connections tonight :brickwall:

with the vaccum advance unhooked it seems to have gone away,no miss or breaking up-maybe the ecm is going away?or should i try to swap on a new balast,i have a few extras of each :shruggy:

Andy, what alternator is on your car ? Is it the squareback unit ? It sounds like the alt can't keep up with the demand or there's a lot of resistance in the wiring harness. Check and clean the bulkhead connection and look at the wiring....closely  ;)

Ron

andy74

have to look at her monday night,have to gather some scrap metal for extra $$,also have 2 interviews monday am,wish me luck!

andy74

i went to my stash and got the ne ignition box and coil for some testing tonight,and i found a bit of corrosion at the bulkhead,i cleanned it up with a tooth brush and brake cleanner-ill see what else i find tonight

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on April 15, 2008, 01:04:48 PM
i went to my stash and got the ne ignition box and coil for some testing tonight,and i found a bit of corrosion at the bulkhead,i cleanned it up with a tooth brush and brake cleanner-ill see what else i find tonight

Any updates Andy ? Get some dielectric grease on those bulkhead connectors  ;)

How did the job interviews go bud ?

Ron

andy74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 15, 2008, 10:08:25 PM
Quote from: andy74 on April 15, 2008, 01:04:48 PM

Any updates Andy ? Get some dielectric grease on those bulkhead connectors  ;)

How did the job interviews go bud ?

Ron
another interview tommorow,follow up to mondays deal,hope it works out better than the current situation Ron,i put di electric grease on the bulkhead connections,and im going out street racing for a little cash tonight,so ill let ya know how it worked!

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on April 16, 2008, 08:03:59 PM

Ron,i put di electric grease on the bulkhead connections,and im going out street racing for a little cash tonight,so ill let ya know how it worked !

So, how much cash did you make last night  ;)

Ron

hemihead

Did you check the gap between the Pickup and the Reluctor ? Use a Brass feeler gauge only .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

andy74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 17, 2008, 10:53:59 PM

Ron,i put di electric grease on the bulkhead connections,and im going out street racing for a little cash tonight,so ill let ya know how it worked !

Ron
150 bucks,plus a tank of gas!

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on April 18, 2008, 07:58:00 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 17, 2008, 10:53:59 PM

Ron

150 bucks,plus a tank of gas!

:lol: So i take it your high speeds miss is now history  ;)

Ron

Ghoste

150 bucks street racing plus a tank of fuel?   And you wonder why you're getting that urban legend status with the locals.   :lol:

andy74

the miss isnt 100% gone,but it has gotten better-its wierd because she will pull to 4500 in any gear,but in third she almost acts like its out of fuel-i swapped fuel pumps yesterday,and it didnt help either-changed the air filter,fuel filter and broke my timing light as i was trying to check,im going to borrow a timing light tonight to check it,but the garbage around here wasnt even worth a shift to third!