News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A question about the Australian Chargers for the members down under

Started by Ghoste, April 09, 2008, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I'm just wondering what the average Australian car enthusiast thinks of the American Chargers versus the Aussie ones?  Is the Dodge version viewed as an oversized gas hog that can't handle or is it a highly coveted example of American excess?

C500

Australian chargers were sold new here in New Zealand also. Here the Dodge version (especially 2nd gen) is generally viewed as the essence of American muscle. The Australian Chargers have a following here, but when compared to Dodge's version, most people would go for the Dodge any day. If only cars were still made like that today.............
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on April 09, 2008, 11:45:32 AM
  Is the Dodge version viewed as an oversized gas hog that can't handle or is it a highly coveted example of American excess?

I'm not Australian, but I would say it's all three. And that's why we love 'em!.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ghoste

That's why we love them but since the Valiant Charger was a homegrown supercar for a different type of motorsport, I wondered if it had a larger following than the Dodge versions.
Does anyone on this board from any continent own one of the Valiant Chargers?

mikesbbody

ghoste, they are 2 totally dfferent cars like dunk said most guys with a valiant charger would own a dodge charger in a heart beat! alot consider them "muscle cars" but i dont. They were raced and were very successful but a 6 cylinder hemi...give me a break we all know real hemi's are 8's  :2thumbs:

Kevin68N71

I would have no problem having a 6 cylinder hemi with those multiple Weber carbs, and would enjoy blowing the doors off 99% of the cars out there with it!
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Ghoste

I realize they are two totally different cars, that's exactly why I ask the question.
For the record, the 6 cylinder Hemi that came in those things wasn't much of a hemi head, but they were a good performer all the same.

mikesbbody

Quote from: Ghoste on April 10, 2008, 12:01:53 AM
I realize they are two totally different cars, that's exactly why I ask the question.
For the record, the 6 cylinder Hemi that came in those things wasn't much of a hemi head, but they were a good performer all the same.
a very good performer! they had over 1 h.p per cubic inch in those 6 pack hemis.

charger Downunder

Quote from: Kiwi68 on April 09, 2008, 02:17:47 PM
Australian chargers were sold new here in New Zealand also. Here the Dodge version (especially 2nd gen) is generally viewed as the essence of American muscle. The Australian Chargers have a following here, but when compared to Dodge's version, most people would go for the Dodge any day. If only cars were still made like that today.............

I agree
[/quote]

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Ghoste on April 09, 2008, 11:45:32 AM
I'm just wondering what the average Australian car enthusiast thinks of the American Chargers versus the Aussie ones?  Is the Dodge version viewed as an oversized gas hog that can't handle or is it a highly coveted example of American excess?

I've owned quite a few Australian Chargers over the years, and for me the time came for me to take the plunge and "step up"......to a Dodge Charger.
American models are certainly considered the ultimate, and it's to the sorrow of the many, many Mopar fans here that we never got the B Bodies.

It may interest you to know though that Australian Chargers are currently going "through the roof" price wise. There have been examples over the last couple of years that have sold for around and over the $200,000 Australian mark. These are the Australia R/T Chargers of course - very rare and very collectible - great performers. But at the moment all models of Australian Chargers pull big dollars.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Ghoste

Cool.  I wondered since much of the motorsports scene over there appears to be concentrated around rally type racing (the famous Bathurst run comes to mind).  It would seem to me that a lot of car enthusiasts would grow up with tastes akin to the smaller lighter cars that are suited for that?

remta1

Quote from: Ghoste on April 10, 2008, 08:00:14 AM
Cool.  I wondered since much of the motorsports scene over there appears to be concentrated around rally type racing (the famous Bathurst run comes to mind).  It would seem to me that a lot of car enthusiasts would grow up with tastes akin to the smaller lighter cars that are suited for that?
EX bathurst car from where i live ( dunedin ) sold last month back to australia for $ 355000 .00 nzd ( approx usd $285000 ) so are highly collectible my mate has an e49 charger ... he just sitting on

Ghoste

NZ68RT

I'm lucky enough to have one of each. The Valiant has a smallblock in place of its original six which is more to my taste, but they did leave the factory with 340's nd 360's over the years as well. I've had the Val for 20+ years so I am kinda attached to it but it doesn't come close to the Dodge for me. They are the perfect blend of style and muscle.
- 1968 Dodge Charger 440 R/T
- 1972 VH Valiant Charger ( Australian ) 360 4 speed
- 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop 273 auto

mikesbbody

Quote from: Ghoste on April 11, 2008, 08:07:29 AM
Are E49's the ones with the big tanks and four speeds?
big tanks? you mean for racing? the E49's were 4 speed with the triple webber carbs (6 pack hemi)