News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many factory exhaust hangers on a 73 dual exhaust?

Started by WH23G3G, March 27, 2008, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got the plate for the driver's side muffler hanger and I've got the hanger for the passenger side hanger that was the same for dual and single exhaust. I have to get two tail pipe hangers. It appears in the factory illustration that is it for all the hangers on a 73 dual exhaust setup. Does that sound right? What holds up the pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers up? Is it just the manifolds? Mine was originally a single exhaust. How do I determine which location to put the floor pan plate? Anyone with factory dual exhaust got reference measurements?

Charger74SE

Quote from: WH23G3G on March 27, 2008, 09:19:56 PM
I've got the plate for the driver's side muffler hanger and I've got the hanger for the passenger side hanger that was the same for dual and single exhaust. I have to get two tail pipe hangers. It appears in the factory illustration that is it for all the hangers on a 73 dual exhaust setup. Does that sound right? What holds up the pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers up? Is it just the manifolds? Mine was originally a single exhaust. How do I determine which location to put the floor pan plate? Anyone with factory dual exhaust got reference measurements?
There should be 4 indents on the left floor pan axle hump behind the rear seat.
The studs on yours bracket should match up with those indents.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

Nacho-RT74

my catalog ilustrates three points. One just at the end of muffles, next one on top elbow where exhaust bends abouve axle, and then latst one at the end of frame rails.

My car does have just two... mufler and end of frame rail. Of course my car being assemlied here does have some diff stuff, because for example they mount a diff end attaching point, welding a plate with studs and using earliers kind hangers.

I can see at a side of gas tank two attaching points on frame rail one of them in the middle of teh straight section. Maybe that was to attach resonator hangers. so in total from fact there are 4 attaching points
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WH23G3G

Will I see the indentations in floor pan from under the car or will I have to take the rear seat out? Mine has undercoating from the factory, so I'm not seeing it when I'm under the car or I'm missing it. I see the speed nuts on the end of each frame rails,but mine just has one speed nut because it was single originally, so I just need to add another speed nut and get another hanger. So I only come up with 4 hangers. Two for the mufflers and two for the tips.

Charger74SE

Quote from: WH23G3G on April 05, 2008, 03:37:25 PM
Will I see the indentations in floor pan from under the car or will I have to take the rear seat out? Mine has undercoating from the factory, so I'm not seeing it when I'm under the car or I'm missing it. I see the speed nuts on the end of each frame rails,but mine just has one speed nut because it was single originally, so I just need to add another speed nut and get another hanger. So I only come up with 4 hangers. Two for the mufflers and two for the tips.
You will have to remove the rear seat because the stud plate mounts from the inside and is spot welded to the floorpan. You also have to scrape some of the undercoat away to attach the hanger bracket to the other side.
I did the same change over to my car. I'll go take some pics of mine.
Mike G.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE

doctorpimp

Quote from: Charger74SE on April 06, 2008, 07:13:50 AM
I did the same change over to my car. If you want to see some pics on how its set up, I'll send them to your email address.

Mike G.

Mike, Can you post the pics here for all to see?
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Charger74SE

Quote from: doctorpimp on April 06, 2008, 07:20:22 AM
Quote from: Charger74SE on April 06, 2008, 07:13:50 AM
I did the same change over to my car. If you want to see some pics on how its set up, I'll send them to your email address.

Mike G.

Mike, Can you post the pics here for all to see?
Here are those pics.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Nacho-RT74

I DID NEED A PIC LIKE THIS to know how to make the rear bench seatbelts nuts...VENEZUELAN CARS ARE WITHOUT THAT

backing to topic... my car is on jackstands and actuially without axle and gas tank, so will take couple of pics
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger74SE

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 06, 2008, 12:20:31 PM
I DID NEED A PIC LIKE THIS to know who to make the rear bench seatbelts nuts...VENEZUELAN CARS ARE WITHOUT THAT

backing to topic... my car is on jackstands and actuially without axle and gas tank, so will take couple of pics
I can get you a set of those nut plates from my parts car. I also have the seatbelts and the bolts for rear seat setup. There black in color.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE

Nacho-RT74

mmmmm... interesting :scratchchin:  :D.

i ahve a set, but chrome parts are some rusted

the hard part is try to get the side of benchs points, where retractors are bolted. I don't even know how they are mounted.

BTW, I don't remember have seen reinfrocement plates to the mufler hanger mounting bracket. Maybe mines are welded  :scratchchin:. will check tomorrow since I have to mount the gas tank