News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tranny rebuild cost

Started by joflaig, November 30, 2007, 01:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Before I start calling around, I just wanted to get a little more educated. About roughly how much in labor should I expect to spend at a very good shop for rebuilding a 727 automatic (new converter, clutch, flex plate, external cooler, etc).

Thanks!

dukeboy_318

my shop here quoted me 650 total for rebuild with labor being about half of it, it kinda depends on if they pull the trans or you do, one shop around here gives you a discount if they pull the trans, check with RD, hes a trans rebuilder in the service and business sections on the board
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Chargerguy74

I just rebuilt an auto trans for the first time, the build was a lot of fun, there's very good info out there, even instructional videos. Saved major $$$ will never pay to have someone build one for me again.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

1BAD68

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on December 04, 2007, 07:57:01 PM
I just rebuilt an auto trans for the first time, the build was a lot of fun, there's very good info out there, even instructional videos. Saved major $$$ will never pay to have someone build one for me again.

any special tools to purchase?

RD

Quote from: 1BAD68 on December 05, 2007, 11:09:45 AM
any special tools to purchase?

there are some special tools that make it a lot easier and SAFER to rebuild a 727, but a mechanically minded individual can come up with some ideas to remove and install bushings and even the front clutch pack.

granted, the special tools do knock off about 1 hour of overhaul time :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

Joflaig, Call CRT (Cope Racing Transmissions) and ask for John. He can fix you up with a nice street/strip transmission that will suit your needs. John also sells PTC converters.

http://www.coperacingtrans.com/727.htm

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

dogbert22

I remember from receipts that the PO paid $750 last year here in Houston. After buying Munroe's book on 727's (recommended) I agree that this is not too difficult a task to do yourself on the bench. Spend some of the $$ you save on labor on upgraded components (ie. clutch packs).
Rick-in-Katy

Finn

Im currently torn between trying to rebuild my 727 or just having someone do it. About how much do the tools cost and roughly how long do you think it would take considering Ive never messed with a transmission before?

*lol nothing like resurrecting an old thread...
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

RD

Quote from: Finn on April 06, 2008, 09:00:04 PM
Im currently torn between trying to rebuild my 727 or just having someone do it. About how much do the tools cost and roughly how long do you think it would take considering Ive never messed with a transmission before?

*lol nothing like resurrecting an old thread...

the tools from miller may range from 50 - 200 dollars (US), found all the ones i needed at a local auction of a chrysler dealership.  there are a lot of nitnoid things that can be easily overlooked when putting a transmission together (i say that because anyone can tear stuff apart).

if you have an experienced builder nearby that you know, see if they can help guy you through the process.  your confidence level will increase directly from their input and expertise.

i rebuild transmissions quite a bit, so if you have any questions, let me know.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

71green go

Where  do you buy the rebuild parts from?....and how much are they?
Thanks!

RD

Quote from: 71green go on April 06, 2008, 10:13:43 PM
Where  do you buy the rebuild parts from?....and how much are they?
Thanks!

there are many places to get hardparts: ebay, local junkyards to buy "core" tranny's, www.bulkparts.com, www.aandatrans.com, copes (see above), etc etc

parts cost based on the part and who you get it from, they fluxuate that much..

a overhaul kit can be bought at any reputable autoparts store for inbetween 75-125 dollars, depends on the transmission you are overhauling