News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking at a '68 with no title

Started by MoparYoungGun, April 06, 2008, 09:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparYoungGun

Hey all. I haven't been around in quite sometime but still haven't quit looking for a Charger. I found a '68 for sale locally that's complete minus the original 318. According to the ad it only needs rear quarters, a trunck pan, and wheel wells. I haven't seen it or gone to look at it yet but I emailed the seller asking for some detailed pics.

The main problem is that I noticed in the ad after I emailed him that it has no title. I was wondering what my options are for dealing with that. Can the DMV just re-issue a new one or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks guys!

bull

How much? Sounds pretty rough for having no title. :shruggy:

tomdroptop

This topic has been covered a few times but hits home with me because I bought a 68 Charger with no title here i  NJ. New Jersey has titles & some states dont have titles but what they call Certificates of ownership. There are several companies out there that can obtain a title for you at a cost. For me the cost was 150.00 & well worth it.
I just had to fill out a paper sent by them to me stating the car was not stolen & I believe it could not have been on the road in the past how ever many years.
In any event they sent me a certificate of ownership (they are located in the state of GA.) & I then took that cert to DMV here in NJ & waltzed right through & got my NJ title. 

skip68

Titles aren't that big of an problem as the work on the car is.  I'd be more concerned with the frame rails.  Take a good look under the car at the frame when you go look at it and bring a jack.  It sounds like lots of rust going on. :yesnod:  If the frame is good and the price is good go for it.   But try to post some pictures first to let some of the more experienced guys here (more than me) have a look.  How much?   Chuck............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

greenpigs

Right, check your state laws on titles and if the price is right go for it. I wouldn't pay more than 3000 and the rest of the car should be fairly solid and complete.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

MoparYoungGun

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll have to check into the local laws, I'll call up the DMV tomarrow.

Like I said, I don't REALLY  know what kinda shape the car is in. From the one pic it looks descent. The grill looks fairly good and is complete, all the glass is there, the interior is all there and complete, all that's missing is the motor. From the sound of it (quarters, trunk, wheel wells) it's a bit rusty and is going to need some work. He's asking $2k OBO. Here's a pic...

onebadmopar

i hope it hasnt been sitting in that grass too long i,d check the underneath out real good

skip68

If it's that complete and with a good grill the parts alone are worth more than $2k.  I'd say since it's obo offer him $1750 and I bet he takes it.  If this is your first charger and it looks good and local,  be prepared to pay the $2k.    :Twocents:    Good luck.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MoparYoungGun

DAMNIT! Just got an email back, car is sold :'( . This is how its been going for 3+ years. Every time I find something affordable it's gone before I even look at it. With prices the way they are now it doesn't look like I'll ever get a Charger. Seeing as how they're the only old Mopar that you can still get at a decent price, I think it's time to start looking for a C body...

440charger68

be careful, i got my first 68 charger when i was 14, and all i got was a bill of sale. Two years later after i painted it i went to register it and it was stolen. It was impounded for 30 days and it turned out that no one claimed the car, original owner of the car was deceased, and the family wanted nothing to do with the car. So I bought it on a lean sale. I think you should buy it on a lean sale, it takes 30 days, but after your done. The only bad thing is they contact the owner. It does not cost anything until the vehicle is yours.
life's a garden, dig it.

bull

I had a lot of problems like that when I was trying to buy my '68. Some cars got sold out from under me, some were misrepresented and a time or two I was flat-out lied to. The right one will come along soone enough. Who knows, maybe you just avoided a major pain in the butt by missing out on that one but $10 says you'll see it for sale again real soon, and for more than twice the money. Either way, if you plan on keeping and restoring it I'd wait for one with a title. But I'd buy the next one you see that's for sale at $2k no matter what. That was a good deal, title or not.

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

ramit

Is that the charger that was for sale here in Minnesota?

Mike DC

Don't spend thousands of hours of your life searching every nook & cranny in the country for the perfect deal.  Spend the extra thousands of hours of your life at work, and then search for the car with more money to spend.