News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Difference in 440's?

Started by General_01, April 06, 2008, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

I am looking at getting a 440. It is a 1966 block. I have a '71 Superbee that had a '72-'76 440 with a 4 speed. I am pretty sure the bell housing bolt patterns are the same, but wanted to ask and make sure. I want to bolt my 4-speed back in when I make the swap, so just making sure. Also wanted to make sure the motor mounts did not change.

As far as internally, not too concerned there. Already been rebuilt and has roller rockers, Mopar purple cam(.509 lift, 292 duration), and the heads have been gone through with bigger valves and some porting and polishing. Also comes with an Edelbrock dual plane intake.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

chargerbr549

The bellhousing bolt patterns are the same it should be a bolt in, the thing I would watch out for is your newer 72-76 440 could have a cast crank and be externally balanced other wise all the older ones are forged and internally balanced, just make sure of what you have before you bolt it together otherwise you will have some serious vibrations.

Kevin

Nacho-RT74

some earliers "cast crank ages" engines with 4 speed still carried forged cranks I think
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

Quote from: chargerbr549 on April 06, 2008, 11:21:21 PM
The bellhousing bolt patterns are the same it should be a bolt in, the thing I would watch out for is your newer 72-76 440 could have a cast crank and be externally balanced other wise all the older ones are forged and internally balanced, just make sure of what you have before you bolt it together otherwise you will have some serious vibrations.

Kevin

:iagree: Make sure you have a neutral balance flywheel. Everything will bolt right in ; bell housing, motor mounts etc....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

six-tee-nine

Make sure youre crank is drilled or have it drilled to accept the input shaft. You probably knew that one but just to make sure...... :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

General_01

Thanks guys. I knew about the crank stuff. The 440 I had in the Bee did have a forged crank and was internally balanced. The one I am looking at also has the forged crank and is internally balanced.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed