News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash removal

Started by markstealth91, April 05, 2008, 07:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markstealth91

If I take out the entire interior of a Charger, is it possible to take out the entire dash? Or do I still need to remove the windshield? Thank you for your help.
-Mark

gasoline_24

You have to remove the dash in the 68-70 Chargers.

Troy

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 05, 2008, 08:08:48 PM
You have to remove the dash in the 68-70 Chargers.
Uh, that's the idea... :D

Removing the windshield is nearly mandatory - although I think someone a long time ago managed to find a way to get his out but I can't remember how. Maybe he was a contortionist with small hands or had a team of elves working with him.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hutch

what year are you talking about?  I have taken my 73 dash out more than once.  I think a few posts with lots of pics exist for the 3rd gen dash removal on this site. I cant speak on behalf of my 1st or 2nd gen brothers.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

gasoline_24

thanks for the help Troy.  I was trying to make sure he knew that to take out the dash you have to take out the dash.   :loser:

Charger1973

Yeah I dont know what year your Charger is, but if its a 71-74 you can take the dash out no problem... 

BROCK

Oooh I haven't taken out a 68-70 dash in a long time.  Piece of cake with the windsheild out.  Gonna take alot of
patience & problem solving with glass left in place :brickwall:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

1969chargerrtse

I had no idea about this?  Now that we know you have to take out the dash to get the dash out  :eek2:, can anyone explain why the windshied needs to come out also?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Charger1973 on April 08, 2008, 09:45:45 PM
Yeah I dont know what year your Charger is, but if its a 71-74 you can take the dash out no problem... 

Matt, I need you to school me on that. I am putting a new dash in the Satellite. Please PM me dude. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

markstealth91

Hey guys sorry for the late respone, it is for a 1969, looks like their are screws under the weather stripping, so the only way to get to this is to take the windshield out?  Just a guess.
-Mark

Ghoste

Small bolts, but as mentioned, if you're a contortionist with small hands and long arms it can be done with the windshield in.

gasoline_24

I think the only way is to remove the windshield then you can remove the dash and then you can take out the dash. :2thumbs: :smilielol:

Ghoste

How extensive is the work you're performing on the car that you want to remove the entire dash anyway? 

markstealth91

Literally gutting the whole car fixing/repairing everything. I have been juggling with the idea of taking out the windshield.

Ghoste

It kind of sounded like maybe you were doing the complete gut.  If it were me, I'd take the windshield out.  Once you start going that far, you may as well finish things off right.  :Twocents:

BROCK

I read all the books, tried all the tricks & still broke the glass :brickwall:  I'll haul it to a glass shop before I try that again - but
they will usually make housecalls anyway!  Now if I could just get out of doing the plumming around the house :RantExplode:

Oh & don't stand it on end when storing it.   :flame:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

hutch

I just did a rewire on my car about two months ago. No need to remove the windshield on a 3rd gen.  here are some before and after.
Before

after

Its a new dash pad and rebuilt and painted stock dash frame.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"