News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Even new weatherstrip doesn't hold out the air

Started by AmadeusCharger500, March 30, 2008, 10:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Does anyone know how to get a good seal from the door and window? I can see spots of sunlight through on both sides and the weatherstripping is new. The window just doesn't seat tight against it.
Its a real pain at 70 mph and makes lots of noise!

Ghoste

Have you tried adjusting the glass in the track?

hemihead

Sounds like factory new to me   :shruggy:  Keep in mind these cars weren't built to the standards of a car today .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ghoste

You could always add a louder exhaust to drown out the wind noise.

AmadeusCharger500

I haven't adjusted it and the car was never tampered with, or at least I don't think since it had 46k miles on it. Is there a way to force the glass closer to the opening?
Louder exhaust? My wife would kill me!

brant

Yes you can. Hard to explain, but you'll figure it out in no time. good luck.

Mike DC

Yeah, that's probably a factory-original problem you're looking at.  These cars weren't built to modern tolerances at all. 

tricky lugnuts

Just an idea I had luck with once before. They sell this stuff called Dum-Dum -- basically it's a box full of strands of putty/caulk. The stuff has a million uses on an old car like a Charger. Adjust the window as close as you can get it to fit and if that is leaving you with a little air leak, try putting some of this in behind the weatherstrip to make it stick out a little farther. Obviously it's not good if  you need to fill a quarter-inch gap or something like that, but it can make that "little difference" that keeps your car from whistling like crazy at highway speeds.

It worked on mine at least. Most paint supply stores should probably have it for about $10.

Doright

Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ghoste on March 30, 2008, 04:03:59 PM
You could always add a louder exhaust to drown out the wind noise.
:rofl:  or turn the radio up!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."